Morning prayer in Schools

Desi Cartman

Domaink, that is what is true. One god with different ways of reaching him. I am ashamed to see how wrongly an Indian answers to a foreigner when he is asked why Indian praise so many gods. The usual answer is because we have lot of gods etc. The real answer is that, All these Ganesha, Shiva, aren't god. They are preachers of God. All these Ganeshas, Vishnu, Shiva etc pray to ONE GOD. AND THAT IS THE BHAGWAN WHICH WE refer too. Thats what is also written in the bible. Jesus isn't the god. He is the son of god.

Domaink, that is what is true. One god with different ways of reaching him. I am ashamed to see how wrongly an Indian answers to a foreigner when he is asked why Indian praise so many gods. The usual answer is because we have lot of gods etc. The real answer is that, All these Ganesha, Shiva, aren't god. They are preachers of God. All these Ganeshas, Vishnu, Shiva etc pray to ONE GOD. AND THAT IS THE BHAGWAN WHICH WE refer too. Thats what is also written in the bible. Jesus isn't the god. He is the son of god.
Exactly. In Hinduism (sanatan dharm), all three of Bramha, Vishnu and Maheshwara (Shiva) spend majority of their time in deep meditation/prayer of God. They are not Gods themselves. But many stupid followers consider them God and even quarrel over which God is a better God. Very unfortunate.

Well said Domaink. If more people could understand this the world would be a better place. I'm Christian and considered by most of my Christian friends to be too openminded when it comes to other religions. In the end who are we to say which religion is right ans which is wrong? If there were to be only one religion God would not have allowed so many diverse belief systems to exist.

Exactly. In Hinduism (sanatan dharm)' date=' all three of Bramha, Vishnu and Maheshwara (Shiva) spend majority of their time in deep meditation/prayer of God. They are not Gods themselves. But many stupid followers consider them God and even quarrel over which God is a better God. Very unfortunate.[/quote'] God provides its Super natural prower in various people who spread the word of god all over the world. Many people over the world have such super natural power. One of them was Sai Baba who offical saying was "Sabka Malik ek" who used to mean that there is just one god. And I think you might be aware of the people who get in the roop of Mata Rani during Navratras

Well said Domaink. If more people could understand this the world would be a better place. I'm Christian and considered by most of my Christian friends to be too openminded when it comes to other religions. In the end who are we to say which religion is right ans which is wrong? If there were to be only one religion God would not have allowed so many diverse belief systems to exist.
Right. And I believe someone who can not respect all religions, deserves no respect himself.

My fav part of assembly was right after the prayers etc ended. In chandigarh from where i did my high school, I was in this school for 2 years which had the hottest most bold girls in the city. They would wear the SHORTEST skirts ever, and invite the wrath of teachers. The ones with really short barely there dresses would be hounded after the assembly. It was fun to see sexy girls in skimpy clothes lined up in the morning every day. :yay: :alienbooty: The teachers would ask them roll up their socks, and made them wear their skirts as low as possible to cover maximum area .(fondly called USA-> uinder skirt area by us)

We used to say some prayers in Sanskrit and finished it off by singing the national anthem. I don’t remember what exactly we sang, but what I do remember is that the solid 30 minute morning assembly session used to tire the hell outta me.. (yea, we had to keep standing all the while). I can distinctly recollect many students fainting during our morning assembly session. Even back then, I used to think it was a little unfair that even non-Hindu/atheists students were forced to sing the prayers, but then later realized that the Sanskrit verses themselves don’t refer to any particular god. It just says something along the lines of ‘Oh God, please give me good health, good mind blah blah blah..’ Whether Allah and Jesus understand Sanskrit or not is a different issue altogether. :giggle:
Although I am an atheist, it is the pregorative of that particular private educational institution to pray for which ever God they prefer I guess. But it does raise a valid point, is the belief in God nurtured? by parents and society?

But it does raise a valid point, is the belief in God nurtured? by parents and society?
Oh absolutely. Seems like society in general, seems take for the granted that religion as a way of life must be indoctrinated into every child’s mind right from a young age. And that is really unfair. No one indoctrinates you from a young age to become a communist of capitalist. No one forces upon tastes of music/food/life-style on you when you were young. Why the preferential treatment to religion alone?

Oh absolutely. Seems like society in general, seems take for the granted that religion as a way of life must be indoctrinated into every child’s mind right from a young age. And that is really unfair. No one indoctrinates you from a young age to become a communist of capitalist. No one forces upon tastes of music/food/life-style on you when you were young. Why the preferential treatment to religion alone?
Not only is it taken for granted but also it is seen upon as a very good thing, which is sad unfortunately.

And why, in a secular country, force all children to sing a prayer of a particular religion? In most schools, like you mention about yourself, children don't even understand what the prayers mean or what they are for. Prayers are just that boring minutes one has to mechanically go through. Religion should be taken up by children after a particular age after they know a few things about it, free to adopt what they believe in. Practicing religion in schools make no sense. In schools, however, they should teach about different religions, so that the children know enough to decide what they want to do in future.

Not only is it taken for granted but also it is seen upon as a very good thing' date=' which is sad unfortunately.[/quote']
And why, in a secular country, force all children to sing a prayer of a particular religion? In most schools, like you mention about yourself, children don't even understand what the prayers mean or what they are for. Prayers are just that boring minutes one has to mechanically go through. Religion should be taken up by children after a particular age after they know a few things about it, free to adopt what they believe in. Practicing religion in schools make no sense. In schools, however, they should teach about different religions, so that the children know enough to decide what they want to do in future.
Couldnt agree more with you peeps.

It goes back to property rights dude, it is a private institution, the govt cannot force its views on a pvt institution (and that is good in my opinion), it shuld come from the patrons of the schools, if enough parents change their kids schools because of this reason then the schools wud change too.