Best innings of Ashes 2009.

Guest Gunner

I was giving it some thought yesterday about what could be considered as the best innings of Ashes 2009. There were centuries almost in every game. Some of them were gritty (IJL Trott), some elegant and some fierce but what was truly the best innings in terms of sheer batting ability and exuberance? The more I gave it thought the more apprent it became to me that it was not a century which stood out rather a 50. I am talking about the 78 Ponting made at Leeds in Australia's only innings. Absolutely breathtaking assault on England. Cuts, pulls the whole gamut of strokes which we know he can execute with ease and élan. I would not say that this was the best innings which Ponting has played or the best that was ever played, nay such sycophancy does not become me. In terms of sheer quality of strokeplay and a thrilling counter attack this must rank as probably the best innings of this Ashes series. However I will readily admit that Michael Clarke's century in the Australian second innings at Lord's gives it a close run for the money. That innings by Clarke was absolutely thrilling in the context of that run chase. If he had pulled it off not only would he have resotred Australia's aura but also written his name down in batting immortality at Lords. But the impressions of Ponting's strokes that afternoon in Leeds are indelible . What do you guys think? (All the favourite trolls be warned, "Trespassers will be prosecuted"):winky:

i would rate collingwood's innings on the final day of the test in helping england to make an impossible draw as the best of Ashes! also freddies' contribution was great in final test!
Are you being sarcastic? Kind of hard to tell on the internet.
In all seriousness' date=' two from Lord's - Strauss in the first innings (set the game up for England), and Clarke in the second innings (magnificent back-to-the-wall knock that almost turned into a match winning one).[/quote'] The idea behind the OP was more about the aesthetic sense of the batting itself. The pure thrilling of watching an assault like that. Strauss' innings despite the effect it had on the match didn't feel that way to me. I already mentioned in the OP that I rate clarke's 100 an amazing knock.
:WTF: that was one of the best innings of ashes 2009! it doesnt matter what you are out here to say :hysterical:
Please tell us what was freddie's contribution with the bat in the final test.:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: