Is ICC really dumb ?

Guest Hiten.

ICC has been "researching" on ways to improve cricket by actually changing how it is played (for example: day-night tests, splitting ODI innings', pink balls :dontknow:). Cricket does not need popularity and to be honest changing the format of the game would not bring any popularity. The crowd that ignored cricket (due to the lack of understanding the game) will not show up to the ground just because they have changed how the game looks like. Currently, Australia and England are "jostling" in a 7 match ODI series; which decided the winner of the series in the 4th match itself. So I ask, what is the need of playing this series ? There have been past series' where these things have happened, but ICC has been busy researching on the ways of improving cricket. How can you expect the crowd to show up when the bloody series has been already decided ? As I posted earlier, I'll jut copy paste. ** It is pretty stupid to "reinvent" the already established format or game. You cannot just assume that people are bored from a particular format just because they do not attend in mases. Scheduling and number of matches play a very big role in ensuring you get close to packed house in all the games. ICC should research on how to have a schedule that suits their pocket and the audience's. How can you expect Indian fans to show up to all the games, if India keeps playing every other day ? ICC should totally scrap international T20 (including World T20) and should find a window for IPL, because having World T20 not only undermines the event but it saturates people's excitement level. Each team must be alloted specific number of games (ODI's and Tests); for example: there should be not more than 2 tours for a country (5 ODI's and 3 test matches in itenary) and 2 home based series (again 5 ODI's and 3 test matches). This makes it 20 ODI's and 12 test matches per year for all the teams, including some dose of IPL. You have to ensure that you create some hunger in your fans' mind for you to attract them into empty stands. ** I won't call myself traditionalist, but it irks me when the cricket administrators try to change too many things to comfort, I don't know who :dontknow:. Change is certainly good for the game, but you cannot just change things just for the sake of it. I do not see any logic behind having day-night test matches because people who do not have 8 hours in their hand for 5 days during the day time won't certainly have time during the night time. It's that damn logical! /End rant :finger:

Good post - the game is very popular as it is. What's needed are just some basic common sense changes : 1. Get rid of stand alone ODI series - they should always be a part of a test tour. Limit to 5 ODIs 2. Make sure the facilities at stadiums in places like India and Sri Lanka are spectator friendly - disqualify all grounds which are not able to conform to the guidelines which must include availability of food/water, increased shaded areas etc. 3. Ensure more bowler friendly surfaces so tests get less runs, more results, and make the cricket more challenging. 4. Stadiums which have a proven history of disadvantaging a side under lights must not be allowed to host day-night games. Provide them adequate compensation to make up for loss of revenue.

Good post - the game is very popular as it is. What's needed are just some basic common sense changes : 1. Get rid of stand alone ODI series - they should always be a part of a test tour. Limit to 5 ODIs 2. Make sure the facilities at stadiums in places like India and Sri Lanka are spectator friendly - disqualify all grounds which are not able to conform to the guidelines which must include availability of food/water, increased shaded areas etc. 3. Ensure more bowler friendly surfaces so tests get less runs, more results, and make the cricket more challenging. 4. Stadiums which have a proven history of disadvantaging a side under lights must not be allowed to host day-night games. Provide them adequate compensation to make up for loss of revenue.
Very good points. I wish the ICC was competent enough to see that basics need to be corrected before a lot of future planning.
2. Make sure the facilities at stadiums in places like India and Sri Lanka are spectator friendly - disqualify all grounds which are not able to conform to the guidelines which must include availability of food/water, increased shaded areas etc.
Well stadiums are jam packed whenever there is ODI in small centers no matter how bad conditions are in India. So I don't understand this point.
Well stadiums are jam packed whenever there is ODI in small centers no matter how bad conditions are in India. So I don't understand this point.
Firstly, just because the numbers are high in ODIs does not mean that you take the spectators for granted. They form a very important part of any sporting experience and talking about India specifically with so much money surely the BCCI owes the public a better viewing experience. Secondly, I wasn't talking specifically about ODIs - the smaller centers in tests in India have pathetic turnouts. Mohali and Nagpur last year provided excellent cricket but the stadiums were empty, specially Mohali. Basic things like selling tickets for individual days, organizing school children trips can create a vibrant atmosphere. The other option is to keep tests specifically for the bigger centers, but I don't think that is very realistic given the zonal rotation policy etc.
Firstly, just because the numbers are high in ODIs does not mean that you take the spectators for granted. They form a very important part of any sporting experience and talking about India specifically with so much money surely the BCCI owes the public a better viewing experience. Secondly, I wasn't talking specifically about ODIs - the smaller centers in tests in India have pathetic turnouts. Mohali and Nagpur last year provided excellent cricket but the stadiums were empty, specially Mohali. Basic things like selling tickets for individual days, organizing school children trips can create a vibrant atmosphere. The other option is to keep tests specifically for the bigger centers, but I don't think that is very realistic given the zonal rotation policy etc.
I agree with you on this. But c'mon Mohali and Nagpur are two most beautiful and spectator friendly stadiums, so your suggestion of improving the viewing experience does not make sense here. Given a choice I would love to go and see Test cricket as I know it won't be full house and I can get best seat in the house. ( I actually did get a best seat in the house right behind the bowler and watched Sachin score his first double ton). I think problem is pitches. There are too many flat pitches. so that should be first priority. Another thing they should try is day night test cricket, see how it goes.

End 'meaningless' tours - Graeme Smith South Africa's captain, Graeme Smith, believes that Andrew Flintoff's decision to turn down his ECB central contract in favour of a "freelance" career has set a precedent that the ICC cannot afford to ignore. Speaking to Cricinfo on the eve of the Champions Trophy, the second-biggest event in the ODI calendar, Smith said that the international game was going to have to adapt to its changing environment and cut down on the current glut of "meaningless" contests, if more of the world's leading players are to be prevented from following Flintoff's example. As tournament hosts and the No. 1 ODI nation in the world, South Africa start next week's Champions Trophy as favourites, and with a proper challenge to whet the appetite after a rare three-month break, Smith reiterated that international cricket remained his absolute and over-riding priority. But, he added, unless the ICC tackles the thorny issue of the Future Tours Programme head-on, the riches on offer in the IPL and beyond will prove an even more tempting alternative to many cricketers who, by the very nature of their careers, have a finite period of time in which to make the most of their talents. "I don't think you can blame the individual, but it's an interesting time for cricket, and interesting to see where it goes now," Smith told Cricinfo. "The crucial aspect is the decisions the leadership makes in the future. The ICC needs to give cricket a good direction, and crucial to that is how they look at the Future Tours Programme, because the decisions they make around that are going to be so important for the future of the game. "For me international cricket is still the pinnacle," he said. "But you can't hide the fact that huge financial rewards and benefits for players have come into the game in the last few years, and it's obviously such a short career, so you want to make as much money in that time as possible. But I think playing for your country is the best, and the most important thing for us is to carry on being as successful as possible and try not to be distracted by other things that are taking place." The FTP is a six-year calendar during which all nations are required to play each of the others, home and away, in at least two Tests and three ODIs. However, it expires in 2012 and a replacement has yet to be agreed upon, with some nations favouring the implementation of a World Test Championship to replace the often haphazard bilateral arrangements that are currently in place. But whatever solution is reached, Smith believes that a greater importance has to be attached to future international matches, and cited the current seven-match ODI series between England and Australia as a classic example of poor scheduling. "With the greatest respect, the seven ODIs taking place in England at the moment are more for financial benefit than meaningful cricket," he said. "People want to see strength for strength, they want to see international sides trying their best in competitive tours. I mean, the Ashes was great to watch, it was competitive down to the last Test match, and speaking for myself as a cricketer, that's how you want to see all cricket being played. "But all these meaningless tours just sap your body, especially when you are playing away from home for a long time," he added. "I think the ICC needs to really look at the format going forward, and really take control of the international game." In the absence of such leadership from above, Smith was sympathetic with Flintoff's reasons for taking his career into his own hands. "I don't think you can blame Fred for the decision that he's made," said Smith. "He's had a very successful career, and at this stage of his career, he wants to maximise his worth and really take control of things. He's had a number of injuries, and for his own good, he needs to take control of the few years he has left in him." Smith's immediate priority, as South Africa's captain, is to lead his country to glory on home soil in the Champions Trophy, and he is determined to put all other thoughts about the future of the game out of his mind. "It's a terrific time to be a sportsman in South Africa, and to be a role model," said Smith. "When you think about our readmission after the apartheid years, we've got a young country in many ways, and our sport is going from strength to strength at the moment. The opportunity is there to grow, and the better that South African teams can be, the more the youngsters will want to be the heroes of the future. The Champions Trophy is another opportunity for that." http://www.cricinfo.com/iccct2009/content/current/story/425335.html About time someone spoke out against these pointless tours

my suggestions to improve test cricket: 1.Scrap 90 overs cap for a day.the play should go on till the light is good.too many times have we seen 90 overs complete in good daylight n next day the overs being lost due to bad light.this way we can make up the overs.of course only 450 overs should be play in total 2.have a reserve day.it should be used to make up for the overs lost to rain 3.disqualify any unintentional runs from the batsman.the bowler should not be penalised for bowling a great delivery n getting the edge.the batsman is lucky enuf to survive it,he shouldnt get any undue rewards 4.Standardise sporting pitches,if anything they should be bowler friendly for ODIs 1.remove dead rubbers in bilateral series.play best of 3,5 series. 2.implement Sachin's idea :hail:for T20s 1.play WC every 4 years 2.have football style substitutions

I don't mind if they schedule a 7 match series or an 11 match series for that matter but please stop all the dead rubbers... This will make it a little more competitive. If a seven match series is schedule make it a "best of" series.. The series stops as soon as one team wins it.

I don't mind if they schedule a 7 match series or an 11 match series for that matter but please stop all the dead rubbers... This will make it a little more competitive. If a seven match series is schedule make it a "best of" series.. The series stops as soon as one team wins it.
What about spectators who have bought their tickets in advance and planned it out?