Why did SAF field first today?

Shehezaada

Didn't see the toss and Smith's explanation. The only reason I can EVER see for bowling first are: 1) cloud cover/first use of green pitch -> Awesome conditions to bowl first 2) Dew in the night time affecting bowler's grip on ball and neutralizing movement Generally it's much tougher to bat under lights.....ESPECIALLY in SAF. I remember us being reduced to 20/4 against Kenya before Yuvraj and Ganguly bailed us out in the 2003 WC under lights. This caused Ganguly to try and get the BCCI to change the semifinal to a day game, as he didn't want the kenyans to have even a slight chance of victory. From what I've managed to piece together...I didn't watch the game...there wasn't any cloud cover, and there was no dew. What was the reason to bowl first?

i dont think dew is a problem in centurion.I am always vary of chasing in D/n games' date='no matter what the conditions.maybe they knew a storm was coming and had hoped the game would be truncated .[/quote'] If I know something's gonna be rain affected, I'd bat first. I don't want the equation getting out of hand based on x number of runs and y number of wickets.
If I know something's gonna be rain affected' date=' I'd bat first. I don't want the equation getting out of hand based on x number of runs and y number of wickets.[/quote'] if it had rained earlier then the saffers had a distinct advantage of chasing a smaller target.they have some big hitters who could have hit 200 in 35 overs.