How hard can it be?

Ram

Yep, I've always wondered the same and thought of some neat ways to coverup the field but ICC/ groundsmen are too old school it seems. I think Lords has a pretty good setup to coverup the pitch and the adjacent areas.. now they should just extend that idea. Someone send this thread to the ICC:tounge_smile:

Let the ICC lose enough money due to India/Pakistan being screwed by rains and they'll start to do something about it. We could have had a blockbuster today with India winning but no..some people here just had to do their rain dance :wall:
Thank your lucky stars that rain ruined the match. The writing was on the wall........INDIA LOSER!!!!!
its almost impossible to cover big round fields.if it was a rectangular field they could just roll a tent out in minutes and retract it in equal time.
not impossible! My university has a huge ground composed of 6 tennis fields and some other amenities. My school is able to afford a huge canopy to cover the whole ground during the winter time. This canopy not only protects from rain but heat, cold and all climate changes. They take this canopy off during the summer time for the obvious reasons. I understand that cricket grounds are much bigger than the field I am talking about but it's certainly not impossible. If they can build huge pavilions for spectators, they can definitely iron out some way to fight against wash outs. What are all these engineers out there for? they can definitely build some thing superb for cricket.
it wont work' date=' all that water has to go somewhere.[/quote'] some of the grounds have moats like Mohali. Even some ground doesnt have that then supersoppers can collect the water I think and deposit it somewhere. Hmmm, actually that seems like a good combination, cover up the whole ground with and run supersoppers on top. The only worry would be that the water may seep through.. but that would be better than the current scenario.
I’ve always wondered, why don’t cricket grounds get a big ar tarpaulin or polythene sheet the size of the Vatican city that can cover the entire ground while its raining? Why do they have to cover only the square and leave the outfields exposed? That’s like getting an umbrella that shields only your private parts as it pours down. Because of this, even a 10 minute sharp shower can literally ruin a match. Had the entire outfield been covered, the teams can resume play a femto second after the rain stops. :hitler:
Absolutely. What a sensible idea. But Sriram, ICC or BCCI - no one is listening because they are laughing all the way to bank with mooolahs they have made with cricket. With all the money that ICC/BCCI/etc are raking in surely they afford to give each ground a large tarpoline. The bad old days should now be gone - people can afford these things now. Heck even I will buy one these for one of the grounds.

The thread was made out of jest more than anything else, but in all seriousness, you gotto be kidding me if you say no one can come up with a cost effective, engineering solution that is going to stop the entire outfield from being inundated because a 10 minute shower. Heck, I am pretty sure if a few of us sat together and did some blue-sky thinking, we could come up with some really neat solutions for this problem. I don’t know how they could have possibly let this farce of weather totally disrupting play happen in the game of cricket for so long. And if grounds can spend millions of dollars in constructing massive light towers that help us play the game at night, surely they can spend a few extra bucks that’ll ensure we can resume play as soon as Mother Nature relents.

the roof is an even better idea.costly but allows the game to go on in rain.Telstra Dome in oz has the roof
Roof is a not a viable option because a) its prohibitively expensive and b) It’ll take a long time to build. We’re talking something far less complicated and far more cheaper here.