Skype will be banned in India

DomainK

This thread and the TOI illustrates why non-technical people should not write about things that they no nothing about. Encryption codes? Skype has not given their encryption codes to the US government in fact they have stated that they will not comply with the US' wiretap programme FISA. In China, you have to use a modified version of Skype that does censor messages and report back to the authorities, but this must be done BEFORE encryption is applied. There is no way Skype could give their 'encryption codes' to the Indian government. When you sign up for Skype a personal encryption AES key is generated for you and stored on your PC. To decrypt Skype conversations you would have to know THIS key. Unless the Indian govt can gain access to suspects' computers or intercept the key exchange (impossible), this is NOT possible. The TOI is full of ****. They cite 'sources' as stating that the encryption codes have been given to the US and China. I don't believe them. As an aside on the right hand side of that article is a link to 'wardrobe malfunctions'. TOI has really gone downhill in my opinion. The article is very poor journalism indeed. For all those who believe it's ok to intercept communications and the loss of privacy associated with this, you should be ashamed of yourselves. As soon as a govt makes a decision that infringes on its citizens rights, all the sheep fall into line. I fail to see how skype can be blocked. If they block the TCP/UDP ports Skype uses, they'll simply switch to different ports. As Skype is a decentralised peer-to-peer network they can't block access to the Skype central server as there isn't one. Outside of costly traffic analysis Skype blocking is impractical. If they block downloads from the Skype website, then the Skype software will be distributed via filesharing networks instead. Even if Skype was blocked, 'terrorists' could just switch to another encrypted VOIP like zrtp. It's an arms race that the Indian govt can't win.
hmmm interesting way of looking at it! ok its one way of india to show the world "look at us we're looking after national security" yet there are some things that they will still fail at and will not be forgiven!

Blocking Skype won't achieve anything let alone an increase in national security. Yet another pie-in-the-sky idea of India's march to modernity if that's what you're hinting at Cricketgirl.
:poink: the point that i am trying to put accross is that terrorism will get thru anything as thats thier mission! look at the so called bumped security in london, did it stop the blasts in Madrid? no! did it stop the blasts on the tubes in london! no!

Guest Gunner
:poink: the point that i am trying to put accross is that terrorism will get thru anything as thats thier mission! look at the so called bumped security in london' date= did it stop the blasts in Madrid? no! did it stop the blasts on the tubes in london! no!
Why would the bumped up security in London stop the blasts in Madrid? :hmmm: Further the Madrid bombings happened before the bumped up London security.

Why would the bumped up security in London stop the blasts in Madrid? :hmmm: Further the Madrid bombings happened before the bumped up London security.
its almost 10 here know i iz allowed to have blonde moments but u see what i'm trying to get at! banning skype is just one of many measures that need to be taken!

Guest Gunner
its almost 10 here know i iz allowed to have blonde moments but u see what i'm trying to get at! banning skype is just one of many measures that need to be taken!
Which as MB has explained quite lucidly is not possible.

:poink: the point that i am trying to put accross is that terrorism will get thru anything as thats thier mission! look at the so called bumped security in london' date= did it stop the blasts in Madrid? no! did it stop the blasts on the tubes in london! no!
Ms. south carolina, is that you ?:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

Guest Hiten.
:poink: the point that i am trying to put accross is that terrorism will get thru anything as thats thier mission! look at the so called bumped security in london' date=' did it stop the blasts in Madrid? no! did it stop the blasts on the tubes in london! no![/quote']
Ms. south carolina' date=' is that you ?:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:[/quote'] You should stick to a simple smilie or one word posts CG. We know how hard it is for you to put things together to make it a sensible read :(( :(( .... ..... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

For all those who believe it's ok to intercept communications and the loss of privacy associated with this' date=' you should be ashamed of yourselves. As soon as a govt makes a decision that infringes on its citizens rights, all the sheep fall into line.[/quote'] Oh shut up. Barely 7% Indians use the internet. Probably 1/3rd of that 7% use Skype. Banning Skype would affect a very little % of the population but can help in saving lives of millions of people. As a citizen of a country that has become accustomed to frequent terrorist attacks, I will welcome all steps taken by the Govt that cause a degree of impediment to the plans of would-be attackers.

Oh shut up. Barely 7% Indians use the internet. Probably 1/3rd of that 7% use Skype. Banning Skype would affect a very little % of the population but can help in saving lives of millions of people. As a citizen of a country that has become accustomed to frequent terrorist attacks' date=' I will welcome all steps taken by the Govt that cause a degree of impediment to the plans of would-be attackers.[/quote'] B->B-> gambi u is the besht!!

You should stick to a simple smilie or one word posts CG. We know how hard it is for you to put things together to make it a sensible read :(( :(( .... ..... :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:
Ms. south carolina' date=' is that you ?:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:[/quote']
:laugh:
Which as MB has explained quite lucidly is not possible.
I'm beginning to like CG's dumbed down summaries :laugh:
you guys need to get a life and leave my girl alone.. CG :icflove: