Indian Scientist Wins Nobel Prize for Chemistry

Macj

I' date=' for one, totally appreciate US education. :hail:[/quote'] Ditto. Our academicians have misplaced priorities. Morality, Dress codes, etc are prioritized while actual academics go for a toss.. I have experienced phd scientists asking young and energetic graduates to go slow on projects or just copy someone else's project...Damn, Indian research will never reach western standards albeit few exceptions like the IIT's and some central universities.

Ditto. Our academicians have misplaced priorities. Morality' date=' Dress codes, etc are prioritized while actual academics go for a toss.. I have experienced phd scientists asking young and energetic graduates to go slow on projects or just copy someone else's project...Damn, Indian research will [b']never reach western standards albeit few exceptions like the IIT's and some central universities.
Never is too big a word to be using in a context like this.

Ditto. Our academicians have misplaced priorities. Morality' date=' Dress codes, etc are prioritized while actual academics go for a toss.. I have experienced phd scientists asking young and energetic graduates to go slow on projects or just copy someone else's project..[b'].Damn, Indian research will never reach western standards albeit few exceptions like the IIT's and some central universities.
IITs are not that good at research either. Probably 1 in 5 faculty member is doing anything worthwhile. Everyone else is either teaching too many courses or just being lazy. The 7 IITs are finding it hard to attract good faculty in the first place. Very few top engineering PhD. graduates from US want to work in IITs. So IITs end up employing IIT PhDs which are not great IMHO. IISc. is probably one place which has some excellent engineering PhDs coming out in India.

man I don't know why some of you are so shy to be proud of the achievements of a guy of Indian origin. so what if he has become a US citizen since or has done most of his advanced studies abroad? all those places/institutions will all be celebrating as should India and Indians.

They are all Indians, once the generation passes then they're Americans completely, till then India should credit for their achievements. Heck Jews still count their kind even after 3-4 generations of assimilation. Now even the Brits want him for themselves, for just living there. http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2009/oct/07/uk-nobel-winner-attacks-funding
Yes, he just lived in Britain, didn't he? Twenty five years in the States, where he picked up his citizenship, moves to Britain in 1999 to join the most successful research institute in Europe ever. Ten years later, the Nobel Prize. Show me an American institute that has the same pedigree.... That's the 14th Nobel laureate from the Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge. That only six of them were born British shows what a magnet the place is for the best brains in the world. Here's the full list. 14. Venkataraman Ramakrishnan 2009 Chemistry American. Awarded joint prize for elucidating the structure of ribosomes. 13. Sir John Sulston 2002 Medicine/Physiology British. Awarded joint prize for genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death. 12. Robert Horvitz 2002 Medicine/Physiology American. Awarded joint prize for genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death. 11. Sydney Brenner 2002 Medicine/Physiology South African born. Joint prize for genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death. 10. John Walker 1997 Chemistry British. Gained prize for explaining "the enzymatic mechanism underlying the synthesis of adenosine triphosphate". 8&9. Fred Sanger 1958 and 1980 Chemistry British. Awarded first prize for work on structure of proteins and a joint prize for base sequences in nucleic acids. 7. Georges Köhler 1984 Physiology/Medicine German. Awarded joint prize for work on immune system theories and developing monoclonal antibodies. 6. Jim Watson 1962 Physiology/Medicine American. Awarded prize for joint discovery concerning the molecular structure of nucleic acids. 5. Cesar Milstein 1984 Physiology/Medicine Argentinian born. Awarded joint prize for work on immune system theories and developing monoclonal antibodies. 4. Francis Crick 1962 Physiology/Medicine British. Awarded prize for joint discovery concerning the molecular structure of nucleic acids. 3. John Kendrew 1962 Chemistry British. Awarded joint prize with Max Perutz for their studies of structures of globular proteins. 2. Max Perutz 1962 Chemistry Austrian born. Awarded joint prize with John Kendrew for their studies of structures of globular proteins. 1. Sir Aaron Klug 1982 Chemistry Lithuanian born. Awarded prize for work on crystallographic electron microscopy and nucleic acid-protein complexes.

Charles Kao, who got the Physics Nobel this year for his work on CCD, is also a British citizen, did his Nobel prize winning work in Britain, and still works here. Shouldn't be counted as an American laureate at all. Having said that, he was born in Taiwan.

Yes, he just lived in Britain, didn't he? Twenty five years in the States, where he picked up his citizenship, moves to Britain in 1999 to join the most successful research institute in Europe ever. Ten years later, the Nobel Prize. Show me an American institute that has the same pedigree.... That's the 14th Nobel laureate from the Laboratory of Molecular Biology, Cambridge. That only six of them were born British shows what a magnet the place is for the best brains in the world. Here's the full list. 14. Venkataraman Ramakrishnan 2009 Chemistry American. Awarded joint prize for elucidating the structure of ribosomes. 13. Sir John Sulston 2002 Medicine/Physiology British. Awarded joint prize for genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death. 12. Robert Horvitz 2002 Medicine/Physiology American. Awarded joint prize for genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death. 11. Sydney Brenner 2002 Medicine/Physiology South African born. Joint prize for genetic regulation of organ development and programmed cell death. 10. John Walker 1997 Chemistry British. Gained prize for explaining "the enzymatic mechanism underlying the synthesis of adenosine triphosphate". 8&9. Fred Sanger 1958 and 1980 Chemistry British. Awarded first prize for work on structure of proteins and a joint prize for base sequences in nucleic acids. 7. Georges Köhler 1984 Physiology/Medicine German. Awarded joint prize for work on immune system theories and developing monoclonal antibodies. 6. Jim Watson 1962 Physiology/Medicine American. Awarded prize for joint discovery concerning the molecular structure of nucleic acids. 5. Cesar Milstein 1984 Physiology/Medicine Argentinian born. Awarded joint prize for work on immune system theories and developing monoclonal antibodies. 4. Francis Crick 1962 Physiology/Medicine British. Awarded prize for joint discovery concerning the molecular structure of nucleic acids. 3. John Kendrew 1962 Chemistry British. Awarded joint prize with Max Perutz for their studies of structures of globular proteins. 2. Max Perutz 1962 Chemistry Austrian born. Awarded joint prize with John Kendrew for their studies of structures of globular proteins. 1. Sir Aaron Klug 1982 Chemistry Lithuanian born. Awarded prize for work on crystallographic electron microscopy and nucleic acid-protein complexes.
Impressive to say the least. Not sure that Harvard/Yale/Princeton can compare with this. Thanks for posting! Next time I'm in the UK, it's on my "must-see" list.

Not a Indian just Origin. /end
Not just Origin. Born there, did undergrad there. So more than just origin. When you say "just origin", you refer to a Person of Indian Origin, as in have "some kind" of link to India, like one of the parents born in India, etc.

Impressive to say the least. Not sure that Harvard/Yale/Princeton can compare with this. Thanks for posting! Next time I'm in the UK' date=' it's on my "must-see" list.[/quote'] Prof, you have to compare like with like. Harvard, Yale, Princeton will all have dozens of laureates. LMB is an institute, not an university...it isn't run by Cambridge University, but by the Medical Research Council, UK. However, even in the university stakes for Nobel alumnis, it is Cambridge Uni that comes out on top of the international league, with something like 88 laureates... In overall ratings, nothing to do with Nobels, it holds its place easily as the second best in the world, only behind Harvard. In fact, the UK boasts four out of the top six universities internationally, an astonishing record if you think of its size relative to the USA, and the level of endowments some of the Stateside universities receive from alumnis. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tK9FQbsbuiighBNusuqGSjg

Prof, you have to compare like with like. Harvard, Yale, Princeton will all have dozens of laureates. LMB is an institute, not an university...it isn't run by Cambridge University, but by the Medical Research Council, UK. However, even in the university stakes for Nobel alumnis, it is Cambridge Uni that comes out on top of the international league, with something like 88 laureates... In overall ratings, nothing to do with Nobels, it holds its place easily as the second best in the world, only behind Harvard. In fact, the UK boasts four out of the top six universities internationally, an astonishing record if you think of its size relative to the USA, and the level of endowments some of the Stateside universities receive from alumnis. http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=tK9FQbsbuiighBNusuqGSjg
Clarification: I meant that the accomplishments of this Instt compare favorably to any of the American bigwigs. Agree on all counts.

Now he is miiffed at people from India seeking him out. Guys leave this American alone... http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news/Venki-Ramakrishnan-miffed-at-emails-from-India/528591/ He left India when he was 3 years old he says.. Venki Ramakrishnan miffed at emails from India New Delhi Nobel laureate Venkatraman Ramakrishnan has expressed disenchantment with people from India "bothering" him "clogging" up his email box and dubbed as "strange" their sudden urge to reach out to him. "All sorts of people from India have been writing to me, clogging up my email box. It takes me an hour or two to just remove their mails," he said. He said the deluge of emails had buried important communications from colleagues or from journals concerning papers we have in press. "Do these people have no consideration? It is OK to take pride in the event, but why bother me?" the 57-year-old Indian-American scientist wondered in an email interview. "There are also people who have never bothered to be in touch with me for decades who suddenly feel the urge to connect. I find this strange," said Ramakrishnan, who shared this year's Nobel Prize for Chemistry with two others. He expressed anguish over "all sorts of lies" published about him in a section of the media that he went to school and pre-Science in Chidambaram, the Tamil Nadu temple town where he was born in 1952. "People I don't know, for example a Mr Govindrajan, claim that they were my teachers at Annamalai University which I never attended, since I left Chidambaram at the age of three," Ramakrishnan clarified.

He didn't say he left India at 3, only he left the place where people claim he did his pre-science. He gave a pretty decent interview to rediff earlier. He is a researcher and obviously has no time to read emails from people making false claims about him and I can understand his annoyance. Now the question is who leaked his personal/work email to strangers?

He didn't say he left India at 3, only he left the place where people claim he did his pre-science. He gave a pretty decent interview to rediff earlier. He is a researcher and obviously has no time to read emails from people making false claims about him and I can understand his annoyance. Now the question is who leaked his personal/work email to strangers?
It is probably on his work webpage...most scientists have it :dontknow:

These people who are running around calling him their own are so pathetic.They don't value their own scientists but will run after someone who doesn't want to be disturbed. Why value the nobel prize so much?...look who got the peace prize this year!!!

These people who are running around calling him their own are so pathetic.They don't value their own scientists but will run after someone who doesn't want to be disturbed. Why value the nobel prize so much?...look who got the peace prize this year!!!
Peace prize is given mostly for political reasons. Nobel prize in science is the ultimate achievement in science.