To the NRI crowd...any timeframe to return to swades if at all ?

patriot

ahhh.... good thread.. (mind you I lived in Bombay for 16 years) most of you on this board, I am guessing, came on student or work visa and stayed abroad ever since.. But I came as a migrant.. came here 11 years back in 98 to US with parents and brother.. Left many dear and near things behind.. missed India at the start.. but then life got so busy in earning and learning .. that 'missing' feeling was lot less.. then I visited India for first time in 2005 and got many shockers in terms of culture there.. especially Bombay was changed.. i said wow.. culture has changed and people are changing.. i didnt feel very connected.. Since 2005 I think I made about six trips and also got married to Mumbai girl.. In last two trips, I started feeling that hey culture is not bad.. people are enjoying their life.. having fun.. I have close school friends there, I see them enjoying and partying.. but point is that I feel they are very close to each other.. like close unit.. if you get problem, you can fall back on them.. same with relatives... ofcourse there will be some exceptions Here we live in a house, but have neighbors who will do only hi and bye stuff.. After a certain point, you feel sense of loneliness.. (it could be because the way i am....).. if you have some little health issues, you think 2-3 times before going to doc cuz of big bills and stuff.. you know those kinda lil stuff Just recently, I am questioning my self on staying or moving.. a big factror is also that, as I said, I came here with family so parents have made lot of sacrifices for us two brothers and we have had our struggles too.. they came to give us better life.. now cant just let it run down the drain.. Question still remains in my mind..
Similar tale here, but I lived in the middle east for many years of my childhood- grew up there in fact. Then studied in Madras till about 15 then came to England -nearly exactly 10 years ago. Little affinity for india having lived there for little time. Its very much a foreign country to me, as Ludh i think said earlier in this thread videsh=pardes. I go back to Madras and I cant speak the language, dont know how things work. FAR more comfortable here. My parents are settled here too now and aint going back I dont think. I do agree with Veer though re: the loneliness issue, primarily due to the lack of family here aside from immediates. On eid for instance it can be dull because thats especailly when families get together. Having said that, theres nothing for me to go back to in India

Also those who like the U.S. neat&clean clean lifestyle but lack a sense of belonging (can happen to those who do not live with collected Indian communities in US), consider Dubai. Its like a perfect mixture of India and US, and the good thing is home is only 4hrs away (also since many Pakis also live there you get to point and laugh at them when India wins). I was born there anyways so I think I'll be moving there permanently once I get done with these stupid ass studies.

Also those who like the U.S. neat&clean clean lifestyle but lack a sense of belonging (can happen to those who do not live with collected Indian communities in US)' date=' consider Dubai. Its like a perfect mixture of India and US, and the good thing is home is only 4hrs away (also since many Pakis also live there you get to point and laugh at them when India wins). I was born there anyways so I think I'll be moving there permanently once I get done with these stupid ass studies.[/quote'] yup, i have the same feeling, although i was born in mumbai. i was brought up in dubai, and i cant see myself living here in the us for too long. dubai provides the closeness to india and our culture, yet is developed and provides all teh amenities. cant live in india, cant live in the us, dubai:two_thumbs_up: out bfor ppl bring up the fakeness of dubai...

yup, i have the same feeling, although i was born in mumbai. i was brought up in dubai, and i cant see myself living here in the us for too long. dubai provides the closeness to india and our culture, yet is developed and provides all teh amenities. cant live in india, cant live in the us, dubai:two_thumbs_up: out bfor ppl bring up the fakeness of dubai...
I would have loved to live in Dubai as well, but some wrong decisions! - most of my fathers side, school friends..all in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Khor Fakkan

No Jokes 10 Crores in Pocket, I will go back
I know someone who won $25 million lottery. I am still thinking on WTF is he doing here in Canada. I would have booked the very first ticket to India:((

so if u get $25millz u will go back to india????so its just about the money?
Everyone knows that having money in India will guarantee you quality life.

I would have loved to live in Dubai as well' date=' but some wrong decisions! - most of my fathers side, school friends..all in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Khor Fakkan[/quote'] lol...judging by that u must be either sindhi, bhatia or mallu.. i hope dubai can survive thru the credit crunch. my mind says dubai will never be the same again but i pray that sh. mohd does the correct thing to get us out of this mess. he's pretty smart and one of the few arabs who deserve respect. abu dhabi is where its at in the future, it may be the new dubai