ODIs get more viewers than domestic 20/20 CL

Celeste

Rumours about Twenty20 cricket killing the one-day game may have been a bit exaggerated. TV ratings show more people watched the recently concluded Champions Trophy 50-overs tournament held in South Africa than those currently following the inaugural T20 Champions League in India. Though average ratings for Champions Trophy were a modest 1.1, the Champions League has fared even worse with an average of 0.74 so far, according to TV monitoring agency, aMap. :yay: According to TAM ratings, the India-Pakistan match during the Champions Trophy had a TRP of 6.2. That’s higher than the ratings for all matches played by India in the T20 World Championship earlier this year, where the average TRP was 3.52. :two_thumbs_up: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/series-tournaments/champions-league-2009/top-stories/ODIs-get-more-viewers-than-Champs-League/articleshow/5117497.cms

CL T 20 is not for pakistanis and their judgement does not matter............ofcourse and india pakistan match will have huge audience...........we will see the figures once the CL T 20 ends......btw isnt PCB finding it difficult to get sponsors for Pak teams NZ series in Dubai.i think u better worry and think about that.........no body i willing to bet even $850000 for the pak team and you are commenting on a billion dollar tournament........akal se kamle aur yahan se bhag le....and every where they are talking about matches involving india......no need for you to be happy

Forget what the damn Pakis say, Matter of fact remains they are playing way too many meaningless T-20s these days and this is only expected. At the end of the day the CL will probably make more money than what the Pakis have made in the last 15 years, but personally I want an end to these meaningless excessive T20s.

CL T 20 is not for pakistanis and their judgement does not matter............ofcourse and india pakistan match will have huge audience...........we will see the figures once the CL T 20 ends......btw isnt PCB finding it difficult to get sponsors for Pak teams NZ series in Dubai.i think u better worry and think about that.........no body i willing to bet even $850000 for the pak team and you are commenting on a billion dollar tournament........akal se kamle aur yahan se bhag le....and every where they are talking about matches involving india......no need for you to be happy
The highest bid received was 450K. Funny part is from the Last Aus series the UAE authorities sent them a bill of about 3 Mil as hosting fees and I am not sure where that issue stands now. Yet these morons wanted to host their matches there. I am not quite sure what their obsession with UAE is. They could have let NZ host these games and probably would have made money and share it with NZ. But then theses people have their brains at the wrong end of their bodies.
The highest bid received was 450K. Funny part is from the Last Aus series the UAE authorities sent them a bill of about 3 Mil as hosting fees and I am not sure where that issue stands now. Yet these morons wanted to host their matches there. I am not quite sure what their obsession with UAE is. They could have let NZ host these games and probably would have made money and share it with NZ. But then theses people have their brains at the wrong end of their bodies.
NZ were asking even more money than UAE & Abu Dhabi. BTW, this is Pakistan home series and PCB will decide where to host it.:winky:
So do I. But you didn't answer my question. Did you follow the ODI?
No, I didnt and usually dont watch matches not involving Pak & India. The opponents matters the most in any competiton and I m sure the coming Aus/Ind ODI series will have more viewers than CL.

Celeste, why are you trying so hard to "ignore" CL yet following majority of the games ? If CL/IPL's existence irks you so much why bother following the "domestic" Indian competition ? Also, don't you think it is really flawed logic of yours when you try to compare Ind-Pak TRP's vs CL's ? Do you know the TRP can take a hard hit when non-IPL teams are playing the competition ? Modi never said CL T20 will be instant hit or the non-IPL teams will be followed with as much passion. CL is a fairly new idea (at least in cricketing fraternity) and it will take time for Indian audience to get acquainted with the non-IPL teams. Don't you think it is really a pleasure for CLUB cricketers to represent their county/cities in a cricket crazy nation. Most of the Indian audience do not know about the abilities of 'no name' entities and I am sure once we get used to them the TRP is only going to go higher. Give your hating towards Indian brand of cricket a rest.

According to TAM ratings' date= the India-Pakistan match during the Champions Trophy had a TRP of 6.2. That’s higher than the ratings for all matches played by India in the T20 World Championship earlier this year, where the average TRP was 3.52.
Why does that come as a surprise to you ? I mean, WTF, you expect higher ratings for an India - Pak match right ?

I Suspect like many pakis out there, he wants to make it seem like CL/IPL is a flop. His argument is idiotic(not his but TOI that he quotes) as he is comparing the biggest rivalries in International cricket in an ICC event against a club cricket tournament. To prove that ODI cricket is thriving, we should be comparing the ratings of the recently concluded T20 WC (as thats the only organized multi-team International T20 tournament) to the 2007 WC or champions trophy. What was Onida's catchphrase ? Edit : See below

Edit : The article actually does that but the poster seems to have omitted the logical points.From the article , Some may argue it wouldn’t be fair to compare anything with the Champions League, a new tournament with a new format that viewers aren’t familiar with. However, consider this: According to TAM ratings, the India-Pakistan match during the Champions Trophy had a TRP of 6.2. That’s higher than the ratings for all matches played by India in the T20 World Championship earlier this year, where the average TRP was 3.52. Even during the inaugural T20 world cup which the Men in Blue won, the average TRP of India matches was 6, lower than the September 26 India-Pakistan one-dayer. These ratings indicate that the promise of a good contest, be it in a T20 or a 50-over format, will bring in viewers. The figures, particularly those of Champions League, may also hint at a slight waning of interest in the T20 game. After all, the average TRPs of IPL-2, were lower than those of the inaugural IPL (4.17 compared to 4.81). ----------------------------------------------------- So from article, In descending order, Ind Vs Pak CT ODI - 6.2 T20 WC 2007 - 6 IPL 1 - 4.8 IPL 2 - 4.2 India games, T20 WC 2009 - 3.5 CT 2009 - 1.1 CL 2009 - 0.7 So basically, all ODI tournaments are crap (only saved by Ind Vs pak ODI) while all T20 is good. IPL is bigger than T20 WC and champions trophy.

Talking about these "TRP" ratings..how accurate are they anyways? Do they use a similar systems like Nielson's in USA? I was going through their archives anyways..Ind vs Pak 2003 WC scored around 25 (DD+Set Max), Ind vs Aus Final scored a 30'ish (holy ****. What is the record here?! So many disappointed viewers though). Compared to that, Ind vs Pak T20 Final only scored 11'ish, but I know the entire country watched this match as I was out there, with my friends in random streets of New Delhi at 11pm and the city was alive with celebrations in every corner. IPL 2008/9 scored around 6.5 regularly btw, Celeste, just as much as Ind-Pak at Champs trophy. The final in 2008 IPL scored 10.5'ish, so that counters your hate motive. Champions League averaging so low probably only because of limited IPL teams and lots of new teams Indian public doesn't know about. P.S: I've taken numbers directly from matches right before SF, to Finals. The real avg is going to be low because it counts from the start of the tournies.