BCCI trashes Ian Chappel

Andy

None of the players from Australian camp have complained about it either. I suppose players just can't complaint about anything apart from mentioning too much cricket played, here and there. But just because Australia has been doing these things since ages, doesn't justify a wrong move, does it? Playing 7 ODI series is an overkill and will remain so whether it was done in 90s or in this decade. And there is no harm in criticising a wrong move.

50-over game must stay significant: Ponting He says while the days of limited over cricket are not necessarily numbered, the current system is not ideal. More... 50-over game must stay significant: Ponting Posted October 20, 2009 07:35:00 Updated October 20, 2009 07:51:00 Australian captain Ricky Ponting says changes to one-day cricket may be needed to ensure the long term survival of the 50-over game. Ponting flew out of Sydney last night to lead Australia in a seven-match one-day series in India. The Australian side has had a particularly gruelling last six months with the Twenty20 World Cup, the Ashes tour and the ICC Champions Trophy. He says while the days of limited over cricket are not necessarily numbered, the current system is not ideal. "The way that one-day cricket is played at the moment with one off series like this - until there is a... points system in place then it might get to the same sort of situation as it did in the UK," he said. "We were 4-0 up after four games and all of a sudden there is talk of teams rotating players in and out and doing all sorts of things. "So the important thing I think is we make sure that game of 50-over cricket has some significant meaning." Despite losing the Ashes, Ponting's men have thrived in the 50-over format with convincing one-day series wins in England and claiming its second straight Champions Trophy. Ponting, who was rested for the later part of the England series, says he believes his side has coped well with a crowded calendar. "The schedule is what it is. We've known for a long time that the last two years were going to be particularly tough," he said. "I think we've done a great job getting through the way that we have as a group to tell you the truth. "We haven't had a great deal of bad injuries and serious injuries which is something that we've worked long and hard at. "We're getting on top of that and we're playing some good cricket so we're looking forward to what the next few weeks hold for us."

None of the players from Australian camp have complained about it either. I suppose players just can't complaint about anything apart from mentioning too much cricket played, here and there. But just because Australia has been doing these things since ages, doesn't justify a wrong move, does it? Playing 7 ODI series is an overkill and will remain so whether it was done in 90s or in this decade. And there is no harm in criticising a wrong move.
one should be consistent in their criticism... if chappel had criticized Cricket Australia's stance in playing those over stretched Benson and Hedges cups or CB series.. then I would take his dig at BCCI positively.. and you Chandan... have u ever complained about the length of the trie series circus that happened in Australia in the past? In a country where there are more than 25 associations and venues.. the only way those state associations can make money isby staging matches. If we dont allot even 1 match to a center in 2 years.. then where will that association get the moolah to groom youngsters from that region?
one should be consistent in their criticism... if chappel had criticized Cricket Australia's stance in playing those over stretched Benson and Hedges cups or CB series.. then I would take his dig at BCCI positively.. and you Chandan... have u ever complained about the length of the trie series circus that happened in Australia in the past? In a country where there are more than 25 associations and venues.. the only way those state associations can make money isby staging matches. If we dont allot even 1 match to a center in 2 years.. then where will that association get the moolah to groom youngsters from that region?
Do all the states have international standard grounds?
Do all the states have international standard grounds?
No. They dont. Thats why they dont get test matches. test matches are allotted for international standard venues.. the smaller ones get ODIs. I'm sure same is the case wth other countries as well.. The Canberras, Hobarts, Benonis, Paarls, Napiers, Tautons of the world are not international test match standard venues and they get to h ost ODIs instead. Same is the case with Indian venues.. So whats wrong?

I don't think it's a matter of 'we don't want to tour India for this amount of time', it's more 'do we really need to spend however long over there playing a number of games that may turn out to be dead rubbers?'. Do you think the Australians wanted to be in England playing a 7 match ODI series? No I doubt they did. This is much the same.

I don't think it's a matter of 'we don't want to tour India for this amount of time'' date=' it's more[b'] 'do we really need to spend however long over there playing a number of games that may turn out to be dead rubbers?'. Do you think the Australians wanted to be in England playing a 7 match ODI series? No I doubt they did. This is much the same.
Come on now, Aussie team is not that bad. I am sure they can win a match or two. :--D

see even i'm against the 7 match series.. but i'm against Chappel's theory that its BCCI's money making exercise.. I'm sure CA will have its own profit sharing in this. CA doesnt send their teams to play a 7 match series against a Sri Lanka, West Indies or a NZ. At best they will play 3 matches, cos the revenue share that they can get is very low... So Chappel should blame both the boards and not just BCCI. I was just pointing out that what BCCI is doing now is something that Australians have been doing for ages, in the name of tri series.. it had a min of 14 games out of which more than half were useless anyways.. so why pointing fingers at BCCI, when your own board is not against making money anyway.. even the players wont complain, cos they stand to earn as much as they can play.. the fact of the matter is ICC should insist on a ceiling on the no. of matches that can be played in a bi lateral series.. (which i think BCCI wont agree.. and CA will also not argee but they wont oppose it so openly like BCCI, so that the blame goes to BCCI alone)

Thus is true dinakkar' date=' Chappell is one of the guys whose opinion I don't especially value (along with, sorry to say, Sunil Gavaskar).[/quote'] Sunil is very generous in praise at normal times, but when provoked he completely loses it. Also there are no euphemisms when he wants to explain his opinion, it more blunt. thats my view.
one should be consistent in their criticism... if chappel had criticized Cricket Australia's stance in playing those over stretched Benson and Hedges cups or CB series.. then I would take his dig at BCCI positively.. and you Chandan... have u ever complained about the length of the trie series circus that happened in Australia in the past?
Ah! Plenty of times I've complained about the useless triseries in Australia. In fact in 2003 I was saying why BCCI could not make Australia play 10 ODIs if we play as many there, reaching the final! But it is all futile. There is no point in turning ODIs into JAMODIs. And then ODIs can't be eliminated as well as they are real money spinners for any broadcasters having ad periods of 7.5 hrs and add two more hours if you include pre and post match programmes. So ODIs should be there, but there shouldn't be an overkill. A bilateral tourney should not have more that 5 ODIs and there should also be a cap on maximum number of ODIs played by a team in a calendar year.
In a country where there are more than 25 associations and venues.. the only way those state associations can make money is by staging matches. If we dont allot even 1 match to a center in 2 years.. then where will that association get the moolah to groom youngsters from that region?
Where will the association get the money from? Well from exactly the same place from where Tripura, Nagaland, Goa, J&K and other such states get it-- from BCCI. This is what we are playing IPL for. This is why we take part in ICC tournaments and it is the duty of BCCI, which is chosen by members from these states, getting a majority, to distribute this money equally to these states.
Why are no tests played there currently ?
It's a new ground yaar. Before the venue was even rejected for an ODI as it was not deemed fit for international matches. But now the stadium is ready and looks good its just matter of time before tests are played there. :yay: Isn't there is some kind of rule for tests to be played on a ground? :nervous: