Does money bring happiness

Sachinism

Money does not bring you happiness. It brings happiness to your near and dear ones. The most enjoyable phase for most people is their school/college days, a phase when they rarely have money. Heck personally speaking I have had lot more fun when I didnt have money. The charm of listening to Dil se songs on a cassette system (does anyone remember them?) in a 10 year old 4th hand Ford Tempo brought more pleasures to me than a 6cd changer Bose system in my V6 ride these days. Quality of music is inherently better but the happiness that former system brought was much more. I think it has to do with responsibility as such. You want to have the best that the world has to offer for your family and kids and that makes you happy. If happiness was related simply to an individual I dare say money would probably not seem so valuable. xxx
It's not that you did not have money in college. It's just that you did not realize that you had money because you were so used to having money. It's relative, is it not? Ask the son of a very poor person and he will tell you that college was not as much fun for him as he was washing dishes part time for his tuition fees. You had money for good meals, travel, movies, parties, books, internet, dates etc. You imagine you had no money because in your life style, these things are basic necessities where for someone else, such things are luxury. So imagine, you have no roof over your head, no bed to sleep on, no money for the next meal. Would college be just as much fun?

oh comeon to enjoy college life you needed money' date=' those picnic,s movies, restaurants. [b']Jeez it cost my dad money. :winky::winky:. He gave me his ATM card to enjoy. Thanks Dad.
You kind of proved my point there, didnt you Kabira? Money is for the family to enjoy, in this case you. :winky: By the way I dont think one required money to enjoy in college. (Now please dont take it to the extreme wherein a person has absolutely NO money). The best memories of colleges have little to do with money. Booze-wise the best memories are almost always of a group of students bringing a bottle or two in the hostel, having a fantastic night getting drunk and trading stories sitting on the ground. It rarely has to do with buying expensive beer and eating salted nuts in a 5 star. Movies, same thing. 8 rupaye ka ticket, 2 rupaiah cycle parking, 5 rupaye mein fanta aur singhada(samosa for you non biharis). 15 rupaye mein end to end. Are you telling me you enjoy lot more when you drive to a multi-plex, buy a 250 rs ticket with 150 rupees ka burger popcorn sat in an AC theatre with surround sound? Not being nostalgic here and all that, just that money != happiness. xx

So imagine, you have no roof over your head, no bed to sleep on, no money for the next meal. Would college be just as much fun?
I missed your post earlier DK. Let me reply now. You are taking the case to the extreme now. I am not asserting money is not at all relevant. Merely saying it is one amongst a tons of stuff that are equally, and in many cases more, important. Family for example. Love/affection is another. Even religion could be a factor for some. I am reminded of a survey that happened sometime back about happiest countries on earth and Bhutan was the happiest nation in Asia. Imagine that! (I beleive Denmark was happiest in the entire world, a developed economy of course but hardly the richest). In a way its like getting married to a girl. Sure beauty is important, but is it more important than everything else for happy marriage? Course not. Personally speaking I have had far more fun when I did not much money, was not penniless either mind you, than when I had bit more. By the way here is a one of the all time classic songs which mentions happiness through simple mediums. I would be very interested if there are any songs that equates with material wealth = happiness. 3PIX_5kZ-aM Dil dhoondta hai phir wahi fursat ke raat din baithe rahe tasavur-e-janaan kiye huye.. xxx

^^ The days when Yash Chopra made some great movies and not the junk his household churns out these days. Although you are dead on about the movie and the dialogue in context of happiness, it also provokes me to think as to how creativity flourishes when resources are scarce. With the economy as it was in 60s we had Yash Chopras, Salim Javeds, Amitabhs to make a Deewar. Today with all the riches we fall way short. One can argue that great movies are being made even today what with Omkara, Hazaar Khwaishein Aisi etc. but noone here would argue its the riches that made them what they are. xxx

^^ The days when Yash Chopra made some great movies and not the junk his household churns out these days. Although you are dead on about the movie and the dialogue in context of happiness, it also provokes me to think as to how creativity flourishes when resources are scarce. With the economy as it was in 60s we had Yash Chopras, Salim Javeds, Amitabhs to make a Deewar. Today with all the riches we fall way short. One can argue that great movies are being made even today what with Omkara, Hazaar Khwaishein Aisi etc. but noone here would argue its the riches that made them what they are. xxx
Thats true. Unless of course its one of those big budget special effects types- and when they do attempt to go down that route in Bollyworld it dosent work. You need story and acting, money cant buy those. Off topic- You know I havent actually seen Deewar. I ought to be ashamed right? I know its an all time classic. There are loads of those old time classics I havent seen

Money provides means to support a decent lifestyle and how happy you are is somewhat dependent on the money but it doesnt mean money alone makes people happy. BTW song that I like about money (in a funny way) bLqo3VrQMi0 This movie also raises the topic lurker is trying to raise. I saw first 60 mins of this movie couple of days ago. Its about a self made businessman who likes to help people but his friend keeps saying "sabsay bada rupiah". The director is trying to show people that you can either be crazy about money .. run after it but in the end its how good you are as a person which can get you money , fame & happiness. Money alone doesnt get you anything unless you are a good person. Some film makers made movies with the message but these days its all about rupiah I hope I make sense