Less ODI would prolong Tendulkar's career: Border

SachDan

NEW DELHI: Sachin Tendulkar should cut down on his limited over appearances to prolong his Test career, feels former Australia captain Allan Border. "I have high esteem for Tendulkar and his achievements in international cricket. But I think, it would be better for him to appear in fewer limited over matches, including one-dayers. It would help him to prolong his Test career," Border said. Border, who made 11,174 runs for Australia from 156 Tests, feels Tendulkar's ability to handle pressure is the mantra behind his success in international cricket. "Representing your country for 20 years in international arena is not a small achievement. There is always a lot of pressure on an international cricketer and I must say Tendulkar has managed it beautifully," Border said. Tendulkar, who has till date scored 12,773 runs from 159 Tests, since making his debut against Pakistan in Karachi way back in 1989. "Like many others, his career was also disturbed by injuries. But even after many ups and downs, Tendulkar still has the same passion and love for the game," said Border, who is here as the brand ambassador of Airtel Delhi Half Marathon to be held on Sunday. "Tendulkar is a player who always looks for improvement. It would be very difficult for others to climb to his stature," the former left-handed batsman said. Border also expects a keen contest between India and Australia in the ongoing seven-match ODI series, but feels the hosts have the momentum after last night's comprehensive win. "After thrashing Australia in the second match, India certainly has gained the momentum. But both the teams are evenly powerful and I expect a close finish, probably a 4-3," the 54-year-old Aussie said. Riding on skipper Mahendra Singh Dhoni's breathtaking 107-ball 124, India crushed Australia by 99 runs to claw their way back into the series, which is now levelled at 1-1. "India would have a slight edge because they know the environment. And it is always difficult to deal with so many injuries while playing such a long series. It's very important to keep the key players fit," Border said. Australia's injury woes deepened when wicketkeeper Tim Paine was ruled out for the rest of the series after he broke his finger during the second ODI in Nagpur. "The team (Australia) is still going though a transition period after retirements of players like Shane Warne, Adam Gilchrist and Justin Langer. It is always difficult to fill the void," Border said. He also lavished praise on India captain Dhoni for his leadership qualities. "Dhoni is a aggressive captain and he has brought about that attitude in the squad. He is leading by example like what he did in the last match. He is also getting support from his team-mates," Border said.

No, i think he should play every ODIs till 2011 WC, if he has plans for playing there That way only he will be top match fitness and form, just playing ODIs here and there will not help, no matter how big a player you are He should skip IPL next year if he wants rest period

i very much agree with border .. he should pick and choose the big tournaments .. ppl like gilchrist and hayden were still good enough to play for australia even though they retired to make way for youngsters so they develop in their peak .. sachin will surely not retire but atleast he can sit out for a few matches .. what is he gaining playing these matches ..

ppl like gilchrist and hayden were still good enough to play for australia even though they retired to make way for youngsters so they develop in their peak ..
Errr....Hayden was on the verge of being dropped when he announced his "retirement". Edit : IIRC, he was actually dropped from the ODI/T20 side when he announced his "retirement"
Errr....Hayden was on the verge of being dropped when he announced his "retirement".
he was in bad form for a while but such players dont take much time to come back .. they are class .. but no doubt he retired in the interest of australian cricket ..
he was in bad form for a while but such players dont take much time to come back .. they are class .. but no doubt he retired in the interest of australian cricket ..
:laugh: Retired in the interest of Australian cricket. Where do you guys pick up such garbage from? He was dropped from the squad and then announced his retirement. http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvrsa2008_09/content/story/385690.html http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/386217.html
:laugh: Retired in the interest of Australian cricket. Where do you guys pick up such garbage from? He was dropped from the squad and then announced his retirement. http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvrsa2008_09/content/story/385690.html http://www.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/386217.html
ok u seem only interested about stats .. true he was in bad form and dropped .. that is bcos he dint get much chance to come back .. here our selectors are scared to drop such players .. even steve waugh ..dont u think he was good enough to go on .. difficult to explain class and the australian system to u ..forget ..
ok u seem only interested about stats .. true he was in bad form and dropped .. that is bcos he dint get much chance to come back .. here our selectors are scared to drop such players .. even steve waugh ..dont u think he was good enough to go on .. difficult to explain class and the australian system to u ..forget ..
Ok if you find it difficult to explain class and the Australian system to me, can you explain how Hayden would have made a comeback after being dropped - his career was over. Plain and simple. He was kicked out of the team and retired to save some face.
Going by the "Australian system", Mike Hussey should have been dropped long time ago from Tests but they did not/could not as they realized that their domestic fodder is not supplying the same quality of cricketers; it use to earlier on. My point, when Aussies dropped their "star" performers, they were replaced by a potential candidate and did not have to hesitate in dropping Haydos, Steve et al. Once the Indian domestic circuit starts producing quality cricketers maybe then we can think about dropping Sachin and co. Just to make sure we are on the same wavelength. In test matches, Mike Averaged 35 in the last 2 years. That is pretty abysmal record considering its a longer version of the game and Australian were in desperate need of their senior playing stepping up post Haydos, Gilly retirement.
Going by the "Australian system", Mike Hussey should have been dropped long time ago from Tests but they did not/could not as they realized that their domestic fodder is not supplying the same quality of cricketers; it use to earlier on. My point, when Aussies dropped their "star" performers, they were replaced by a potential candidate and did not have to hesitate in dropping Haydos, Steve et al. Once the Indian domestic circuit starts producing quality cricketers maybe then we can think about dropping Sachin and co. Just to make sure we are on the same wavelength. In test matches, Mike Averaged 35 in the last 2 years. That is pretty abysmal record considering its a longer version of the game and Australian were in desperate need of their senior playing stepping up post Haydos, Gilly retirement.
now tell me one thing what is sachin gaining from playing this series .. would u like to see him play in a series like this or a world cup .. our management still want to squeeze out every blood from sachin .. they are just not confident of playing without him .. when will they learn doing that ..and dont bring the point of yesterday where sachin dint score still india won .. we need to adapt .. get a pool of 2 or 3 team backup .. rest the top players like sachin sehwag dhoni yuvi .. or some matches .. i just dont see a team building happening at all .. we will go to another big tournament and get busted .. feck
now tell me one thing what is sachin gaining from playing this series .. would u like to see him play in a series like this or a world cup .. our management still want to squeeze out every blood from sachin .. they are just not confident of playing without him .. when will they learn doing that ..and dont bring the point of yesterday where sachin dint score still india won .. we need to adapt .. get a pool of 2 or 3 team backup .. rest the top players like sachin sehwag dhoni yuvi .. or some matches .. i just dont see a team building happening at all .. we will go to another big tournament and get busted .. feck
Why shouldn't SRT be playing in a series against the #1 ranked ODI side ? SRT is wise enough to discard series against not-so highly ranked teams and will decide to opt out of them at his convenience.
He has played less than half of India's matches over the last 2 years. What do you want him to do - play nothing and then show up in the World Cup?
So do you think he's a passenger in the team, he's playing because he is as good as they come. We're playing against the best team in the world, why shouldn't he play? You think we can put him out of the team, tell him to rest for 2 years and then call him back to play in the WC?