12 years old Sarfaraz Khan hits 439 in school cricket match

DomainK

“I swear I’ll never hit another 400 in my life. Slogging on the field is way easier than posing!’’ joked 12-year-old Sarfaraz Khan as he flopped down with fatigue on the grass at Cross Maidan after the glut of cameras made him pose and pout with his gear on till they were sure they had enough of him. The 12-year-old lad from Springfield Rizvi smashed his way into the record books when he scored 439 against a hapless Indian Education Society in the u-16 inter-school Harris Shield three-day match on Wednesday. Sarfaraz faced 421 balls and hit an incredible 12 sixes and 56 fours—which tots up to a near-triple century in only fours and sixes—over two days. This is the highest individual score in the 113-year history of the holy grail of school cricket in the city. Sarfaraz erased the previous mark of 422 by Shardashram’s Sanjeev Jadhav in 1986. The Harris Shield is the same tournament that launched Sachin Tendulkar and Vinod Kambli, representing Shardashram, who strung a record 664-run alliance against St Xavier’s in 1988. I am a complete target person, says Sarfaraz Mumbai: Aided by Sarfaraz Khan’s mammoth score, Rizvi declared at 750-9, a notch higher than what Tendulkar and Kambli’s team had amassed (748-2 in 120 overs) in 1988. Incidentally, Tendulkar’s 329 and Kambli’s 349 rank among the Harrish Shield tournament’s Top 10 scores. Resuming at his overnight score of 225, the spangle-eyed Sarfaraz walked in with a message—300. The only time the Std VI lad took his eyes off the ball was to take in the numbers coach Raju Pathak was putting together on his fingers, indicating his next target. “I am a complete target person. You tell me you want this and I’ll give it to you. Once I touched my triple century, word came in about Sachin Tendulkar’s mark of 358. That conquered, I managed 400 and that’s when the record came into the picture,’’ says Sarfaraz, who smashed the bowlers all over the park but ironically flicked a single to get to 423. The first reward didn’t take time in coming—president of the Rizvi Education Society, Akhtar Hasan Rizvi, announced a reward of Rs 10,000 along with a promise to sponsor the boy’s education up to college. While on 300, there was talk of a declaration that would help defending champions Rizvi go for the kill, but coach Pathak decided to trust his instincts instead. “I didn’t have the heart to call him back and I don’t regret it. Give the boy a job and he’l do it,’’ says Pathak, who has guided the school to six Harris titles. In fact, the coach accommodated Sarfaraz and three other juniors at the expense of four senior players. “I didn’t need to tell them how big the chance was. Sarfaraz grabbed it and how!’’ Watching Sarfaraz stroke his way to the record from the sidelines was father Naushad, who is a coach himself and has been tagging his son along to maidans from the age of four. “It’s wonderful to see Sarfaraz on the path to fulfilling dreams that I’d left unfinished.’’ In fact, the father-son pair opened for Young Mohammedans in the Kanga League this season. Former holder of the record, Jadhav—now a Mumbai under-14 selector—got a call telling him of Sarfaraz’s feat and he was more than happy at the happening. “23 years is a long time for a record to stand and it’s only fair that it be broken.’’ He even had words of caution for Sarfaraz. “The boy should not look back from here. He needs to have his head on his shoulders, and I would love to see him play for Mumbai sometime soon and score those kind of runs,’’ said Jadhav. For someone who likes everything calculated, it came as no surprise that Sarfaraz had a ready answer for what he wants as a gift from his dad. “I’ll start with a combo meal at McDonald’s that costs Rs 128. Then there’s this new mobile phone that costs Rs 5,000 which I have my eyes set on,’’ says the boy. Watching his father stroll in, he wastes no time quipping, “I’ve told the papers that you are buying me a phone so if you back out from here, it’s going to show you up in poor light!’’ Jadhav still holds one record Sanjeev Jadhav was a 17-yearold when he scored 422 against Hindi Vidya Bhavan on January 8, 1986 at Shivaji Park. Now a junior Mumbai selector, Jadhav had then created another record when he hit 80 fours in his knock. He even rolled his arm over to bag four wickets in that game.
Source: http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Default/Scripting/ArticleWin.asp?From=Archive&Source=Page&Skin=TOINEW&BaseHref=TOIM/2009/11/05&PageLabel=1&EntityId=Ar00105&ViewMode=HTML&GZ=T Pc0231400.jpg

After reading the thread name, I also remembered about the Sachin-Kambli partnership in school. Anyways best of luck to the kid. He is only 12 and has a long way to go if he gives his best. hope that the media does not hail him and make him hero as too much attention would destroy the kid's career even before it gets started

Interesting comment. :whatchutalkingabout Didn't seem to hurt this kid. sachin-young.jpg
The Indian media wasn't as trashy 20 years back as it is now - in fact India hardly had anything but the print media then, and even that wasn't sensationalistic. Welcome back, Donny. Sorry to read about the accident and tough times you went through recently.
http://www.dnaindia.com/sport/report_sarfaraz-sizzles-rizvi-retain-title_1337642 Sarfaraz sizzles, Rizvi retain title The numbers go like this — 224, 107, 72*, 295, 145, 314*. These are neither the bib numbers of athletes nor the scores of Mr Consistent Rahul Dravid. These are the scores of 13-year-old Sarfaraz Khan in the last six innings of the Giles Shield. Five centuries, including one triple hundred and a couple of double tons ,have already made him a child prodigy. The run-machine has been the most consistent batsman this season in the U-16 and U-14 age groups. With a record breaking 439 — highest ever in Harris Shield — followed by hundreds and a couple of double hundreds, Khan has hit the headlines on several occasions. He showed his prowess in the final of the U-14 Giles Shield inter- school cricket too, by guiding Rizvi Springfield High School to their second consecutive title. His unbeaten 314 saw Anjuman-i-Islam Allana concede the match on the third day itself with a day to spare in the summit clash. So what is it that makes Sarfaraz special? His ability to go after the attack, consistency or maturity? His school coach Raju Pathak feels it’s the boy’s stubbornness to score big. “He is a very good batsman with a positive approach. He is not scared of any attack and is mentally very strong,” Pathak said. Mumbai U-14 selector Sanjeev Jadhav said the real test would start for him while playing for Mumbai. “No doubt that he is a good batsman. He plays with big boys in the B division matches under tough conditions hence it is easy for him to score here. Even the attack has not been that great against him. He has the strokes but his real test will begin when he plays for Mumbai U-14 and there he will have to prove himself,” said Jadhav. Brief scores (Day 3): Anjuman-i-Islam Allana 173 conceded the match against Rizvi Springfield HS 673-6 (S Khan 314*, A Jaffer 69, P Shaw 158, M Dhaga 66; K Dafedar 3-218). -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- This kid is a great talent. 6-7 months on from his 400+ and he is still piling on the runs. Hopefully wth proper guidance and with the help of the Mumbai crcket system, he will turn out to be a good batsman in the future. One to watch out for.