Will Dhoni survive an Emerald disaster?

^^ Its a dead wicket' date=' hardly fair to blame the bowlers.[/quote'] This is about more than just this match. Ishant has been struggling for a good while now. Zaheer is back after a(nother) injury lay-off and will be effective for a while. I'll admit that haven't kept up with Harbhajan's and Mishra's recent performances, so I defer to others' judgment. The worst part is that the bench looks bare.

Looks like too much of paijama cricket has had some spillover effect on the fans as well. Lets be patient guys, 3 more days to go and plenty of opportunities to comeback and get into a winning position. For a start, lets pick 4 pickes like the lankans have done in first 45-60 minutes of the morning session.

Zaheer is only coming back from injury. Ishant is in average form. Bhajji is useless unless the pitch is a turner. And our top order looks weak against swing/movement. But yeah, let's blame it on Dhoni shall we? Before anybody says the pressure is on Dhoni I would like to hear what the alternatives are. What do Sehwag/Laxman know about the captaincy? Didn't Sehwag take over as captain recently and looked pretty awful? None of these guys know anything about bowling. Ask yourself this question: What makes more sense? To replace a pretty good captain? Or to ask players that are talented to actually perform to that talent level? I've heard so many times that guys like Sreesanth, Pathan, Harbhajan, RP etc are such talented bowlers? So where are the results? A new captain isn't going to change that. It will only make things worse. You'll have some of the team still supporting Dhoni (probably the younger players) while some others will support the new captain. It'll suck worse than Pakistan's musical chairs with their captain. Apart from a very few select players (like SRT, maybe Dravid, Dhoni, and Zaheer) we've been a completely one dimensional team. Our batting does well on flat pitches but the same batsmen suck when it swings/move. Our bowlers look like champions when the pitch is swinging/seaming and suck when it doesn't.

The upcoming series against South Africa will be a very tough one though. I saw them a few months ago when they played against England in swinging conditions and it was a magnificent batting performance from them. All of their top/middle order batsmen were judging the deliveries very well. They knew exactly where the offstump line was and didn't play anything they didn't need to and effectively wore the English bowlers down to dust and forced them to bowl in different areas just to get them to play at the ball. Not to mention they've got a loaded bowling line up with Paul Harris improving tremendously that last two years.

I seriously think that just because Dhoni loses 1 series at home' date=' he won't be sacked! India might even win the home series against SL.[/quote'] cant get you.... we lost the series bcoz of R Jadeja and horrible top order downfall against Australia... i sincerely feel Sehwag did not made any significant contribution in his last 7-10 matches! What happened to Gautham Gambhir? :((
Let's face it - the Indian team's stocks are low. An early exit from the T20 WC, an early exit from the Champions' Trophy, a poor show against an ordinary Australian side. Suddenly, the man who could do no wrong till 6 months back has been tested and his team is being defeated on a consistent basis. Sure, it's not all his fault. A captain can only do so much, but usually a consistently poor run follows a change at the top. India's home record in tests is a proud one and has had to be fiercely guarded against some very strong challenges, none stronger than the '01 Aussies. In that context losing a series to Sri Lanka, who have not even won a test in India till date will be a disaster. Questions will certainly be asked about team selection and strategies. Poor performing bowlers and batsmen might face the axe, but will the captain survive criticism. Memories can be short in our part of the world and passions intense, so not always are decisions taken objectively. One might argue that Dhoni will be able to survive one series loss, but with the South Africa series coming up he will be a man under huge pressure. He will most likely lose captaincy if India loses two consecutive test series at home and he would know it. He has an unbeaten record in tests but will be hard pressed to defend it over the next few months. Perhaps this will be the most prepared Sri Lankan side ever to tour India and the South Africans are certainly not going to leave anything to ifs and buts. Dhoni will be made to bring out every bit of his cricketing acumen and thinking till next March and he would know it. Any slip up could mean a quick journey from glory to burst.
lol .. yeah that was some disaster .. the emerald disaster .. :hehe:
This is about more than just this match. Ishant has been struggling for a good while now. Zaheer is back after a(nother) injury lay-off and will be effective for a while. I'll admit that haven't kept up with Harbhajan's and Mishra's recent performances' date=' so I defer to others' judgment. The worst part is that the bench looks bare.[/quote'] They came good AGAIN :two_thumbs_up: