Will Dhoni survive an Emerald disaster?

Let's face it - the Indian team's stocks are low. An early exit from the T20 WC, an early exit from the Champions' Trophy, a poor show against an ordinary Australian side. Suddenly, the man who could do no wrong till 6 months back has been tested and his team is being defeated on a consistent basis. Sure, it's not all his fault. A captain can only do so much, but usually a consistently poor run follows a change at the top. India's home record in tests is a proud one and has had to be fiercely guarded against some very strong challenges, none stronger than the '01 Aussies. In that context losing a series to Sri Lanka, who have not even won a test in India till date will be a disaster. Questions will certainly be asked about team selection and strategies. Poor performing bowlers and batsmen might face the axe, but will the captain survive criticism. Memories can be short in our part of the world and passions intense, so not always are decisions taken objectively. One might argue that Dhoni will be able to survive one series loss, but with the South Africa series coming up he will be a man under huge pressure. He will most likely lose captaincy if India loses two consecutive test series at home and he would know it. He has an unbeaten record in tests but will be hard pressed to defend it over the next few months. Perhaps this will be the most prepared Sri Lankan side ever to tour India and the South Africans are certainly not going to leave anything to ifs and buts. Dhoni will be made to bring out every bit of his cricketing acumen and thinking till next March and he would know it. Any slip up could mean a quick journey from glory to burst.

Dhoni is fine and will survive because he have the backing of senior players and the cricket board. He is lucky not to have any back stabbers and groupings in his team. I think he should not be captain of all three formats because being a captain he cannot miss games even the dead rubbers.

Come on, its too early to start talking about Dhoni’s captaincy. Sure, we’ve had a rough couple of months, but its no reason to axe a captain who is yet to lose a test series, even if he suffered a couple of reverses in the test match arena. But more importantly, knowing Kris Srikkanth as some sort of ‘Players Selection Chairmain’, I am sure he will give as much assurance as he possibly can, to Dhoni reg his captaincy.

Im not sure theres ANY realistic option to take over from him, that kinda works in his favour Who's the VC? Yuvraj? Sehwag? Both have very limited captaincy experience and im certain Sehwag dosent even want to captain, will not be good for his batting. I think Laxman could make a good test skipper, he was Vice for a little while, should have left it with him. But I think the selectors will go for a younger option Meaning Gambhir maybe? He has captained Delhi, and Sehwag was singing his praises as future captain. So its an option In any case I do think even if Ind lose both Series he wont be sacked, a lot of stick will come their way. He wont be sacked. BTW Lord, why do you say it will be good for him? He's a good captain, and really no one else to do a better job

i think he will keep his captaincy even if we lose the series just because we have no one to step in for him.
Exactly my thoughts. Dhoni will retain captaincy even if SL give us a 2-0 thrashing in Tests. There is just no good alternative - Laxman or Zaheer Khan are the only outside chance - not sure if they'll get it though. And Sehwag is possible, but it also depends on how he does in this series. Surely, Yuvraj Singh cannot captain a Test side, when his own place is still to be cemented in Tests. Gambhir not enough experience for Test captaincy. Dravid and Tendulkar dont want captaincy. Harbhajan Singh may want it, but I dont think he'll get it now.
Exactly my thoughts. Dhoni will retain captaincy even if SL give us a 2-0 thrashing in Tests. There is just no good alternative - Laxman or Zaheer Khan are the only outside chance - not sure if they'll get it though. And Sehwag is possible, but it also depends on how he does in this series. Surely, Yuvraj Singh cannot captain a Test side, when his own place is still to be cemented in Tests. Gambhir not enough experience for Test captaincy. Dravid and Tendulkar dont want captaincy. Harbhajan Singh may want it, but I dont think he'll get it now.
Welcome back fineleg.
Arre' date=' I was responding in the context of this thread - "Emerald disaster" - BUT YOU GOTTA NOTICE, YOU GOTTA NOTICE - I did not say 'even if' 3-0, I said 'even [b']if' 2-0...hey, give me credit :cantstop: BTW - talking about disasters - anyone planning to see the movie? http://www.whowillsurvive2012.com/ - Official Website
Fineleg has mellowed down with age. Happens to the best , after you turn 50.:hatsoff: When she said 2-0, I thought maybe the series was a 2 match one contrary to my earlier knowledge(3 match)...:lmao: