Celebrating Sachin Tendulkar's 20 glorious years [Update: 28th year]

Chandan

Eighteen months down the line' date=' I found myself sharing the same dressing room with the boywho was to become the Little Master. [b']Always in the company of Sanjay Manjrekar, it appeared as if Manjrekar had been given the duty of grooming this prodigy and making him at home. And lookat what moron Manjrekar has been saying since he retired from the game.
Jealousy, complexes- the man is buried under them. Manjrekar at one time was one of India's brightest hopes and then came Thendulkar and Manjrakar got overshadowed so much that he was not even visible anymore.
Eighteen months down the line' date=' I found myself sharing the same dressing room with the boywho was to become the Little Master. [b']Always in the company of Sanjay Manjrekar, it appeared as if Manjrekar had been given the duty of grooming this prodigy and making him at home. And lookat what moron Manjrekar has been saying since he retired from the game.
Well it is called opinion mate and he was not the only one. Ofcourse I forgot, in India you can't challenge the God.
There is a difference between criticism and hate.
Oh yeah!! So give me a conclusive that it was hate, since this same man was criticized in the initial part of his commentary stint for talking too much about Tendulkar in pleasant terms. It just fanboys struggling to deal with some criticism that is bound to come in any man's career. Bradman, Sobers, Schumacher, Woods, Jordan are not averse to it, so why Tendulkar. It was an opinion shared by Barry Richards and Ian Chappell at the time. It is a land of prima donna worship, as simple as that.
Oh yeah!! So give me a conclusive that it was hate' date=' since this same man was criticized in the initial part of his commentary stint for talking too much about Tendulkar in pleasant terms. It just fanboys struggling to deal with some criticism that is bound to come in any man's career. Bradman, Sobers, Schumacher, Woods, Jordan are not averse to it, so why Tendulkar. It was an opinion shared by Barry Richards and Ian Chappell at the time. It is a land of prima donna worship, as simple as that.[/quote'] When the criticism transends the boundaries of the game, i.e, cricket and enters into the realm of questioning a player's intention and calls him greedy and selfish, it ceases being criticism and turns into a personal attack. Sanjay went to the extent of accusing Sachin of faking injuries. Is that criticism or hate? I dont think anyone had any issues with people questioning Sachin's form. But some people started questioning his loyalty to the country and the motive for which he plays. I dont think that has happened to the players you named. BTW you certainly seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Sachin and dont miss an opportunity to jump in and showcase it, sometimes, like in this instance, without understanding the context

Also the facts remain, that those who supported Sachin when he was down on form and suffering from injuries turned out to be 100% right and the ones who wanted him dropped were proven to be wrong. So if the critics get a bit of stick now, they deserve every bit of it for making such an error of judgement. If it was up to critics like Manjerekar, we wouldnt have had the highest run chase in 4th innings in a test in India or the first 200 in an ODI

When the criticism transends the boundaries of the game, i.e, cricket and enters into the realm of questioning a player's intention and calls him greedy and selfish, it ceases being criticism and turns into a personal attack. Sanjay went to the extent of accusing Sachin of faking injuries. Is that criticism or hate? I dont think anyone had any issues with people questioning Sachin's form. But some people started questioning his loyalty to the country and the motive for which he plays. I dont think that has happened to the players you named. BTW you certainly seem to have a bee in your bonnet about Sachin and dont miss an opportunity to jump in and showcase it, sometimes, like in this instance, without understanding the context
Exactly. Criticism of Tendulkar was not limited to cricket but got personal. Idiot Chappell went to the extent to suggest that he was hanging around for the money and endorsements. Absolutely retarded and gutter level thinking.

Sachin Tendulkar: The “Little Master†Sachin Tendulkar: The “Little Master†There have been quite a few batsmen who can be categorized as the one of the best batsman to have played the gentleman’s game. The debate will go on and on especially when the world has witnessed and cherished the likes of Don Bradman, Gary Sobers, Sunil Gavaskar, Allan Border, Javed Miandad, Viv Richards, Jack Hobbs, Steve Waugh and Inzamam-ul-Haq. Focusing on the recent crop of players, who stand out for their majestic batting displays are Sachin Tendulkar, Brian Lara, Ricky Ponting, Mohammed Yousuf, and Rahul Dravid. When you think about the greatest batsman in history of cricket instantly, the name of Sir Don Bradman immediately comes to mind for his phenomenal average of 99.94 which remains miles ahead of others. He needed only 4 runs in his last inning to achieve the feat of having an average of exactly 100 but emotions got the better of him and he got out on a duck, which kept him at bay from reaching the milestone. Realistically it looks to stand forever as the best average by a batsman in Test cricket. With all respect to the Aussie little master there is another man who perhaps can be touted as the best batsman of all time Sachin Tendulkar, who has overhauled almost all the batting records. Regarded as the cricketing God in India, Sachin holds the record of scoring most centuries, 48 in Test and 46 in One-day Internationals. He also became the first batsman to score 50 international centuries. Not only this, he now heads the list of cricketers who have played the most Test matches in history surpassing Steve Waugh’s haul of 168 matches when he played his 169th Test match against Sri Lanka. Even legendary Shane Warne went on to say that the batting maestro from India is the greatest batsman he has ever seen. Not only this when Sir Don Bradman was alive he listed his all time eleven and from the present generation only Sachin’s name was present which is some achievement when you look at players who have been there with amazing performances. The batting phenomenon from India is the first player to score 10,000 ODI runs and 12,000 Test runs. He has also amassed over 30,000 runs combining all form of International cricket which in itself is an astounding record. He became the only second batsman to score 10 centuries against the mighty Australia, a mountainous feat which was first achieved by Sir Jack Hobbs. When he equalled the record of Bradman’s 29 Test centuries the formula one team Ferrari and its world champion presented him a Ferrari Modena. For his outstanding contribution to the game of cricket, Tendulkar was nominated as the second best all time Test and One day batsman by Wisden only to be behind Bradman and Viv Richards respectively. But now comparatively Sachin seems to be better than the two greats particularly, when there are bowlers that are much harder to play than those of previous time. He has faced and succeeded against the likes of Wasim and Waqar, Walsh and Ambrose, the greatest spinners in history Shane Warne, Muttiah Muralitharan, Saqlain Muhshtaq and Daniel Vettori, Shoaib Akhtar, and various other speed sensations which include Brett Lee, Dale Steyn, Shaun Tait and Shane Bond. Sachin definitely is the greatest batsman of all time, no matter what people say his performances and statistics can never be neglected and his greatness can never be undermined by the cricketing experts and fans. http://blogs.bettor.com/Sachin-Tendulkar-The-Little-Master-a29763 by Michelle Beckett

The heart goes on - by Steve Waugh

I have often been asked whether I knew Sachin Tendulkar was destined for his remarkable run in world cricket-a run that is punctuated with records, some coming in the 22nd year of his international cricket-when I first saw him play. It is always hard to spot exceptional talent in a youngster, but when I first saw Sachin, I knew I was watching a special player. He was batting at the WACA, Perth, on a pitch that in those days was a fast bowler's paradise. Australians found it tough going at Perth and here was an Indian teenager, on his first tour to Australia, batting with great composure and exceptional ease to score one of his finest centuries. The signs of a special talent were clear for the world to see and I knew Sachin would make a mark on cricket. Today,twodecades later, there is still plenty of fuel left in Tendulkar and it is fascinating to see his hunger for success and the discipline to remain fit and focused at this level. From the point of view of a contemporary, I find it amazing that he has remained the key wicket that the opposition prizes for more than two decades. It's one thing to be around for that but quite another thing to remain the linchpin of the team right through that period. It was in the early 1990s that the Indian fans really started to warm to Sachin's talent and persona. The decade saw Sachin develop from a promising youngster into one who values his talent and is willing to work hard to make the most of it. It's not always that exceptional talent translates into a great career, but Sachin had the temperament and the discipline to exploit that ability. Right through the 1990s and even thereafter, Sachin has always kept some of his most brilliant knocks for Australia, and very often it was really a pressure cooker situation because you had an unstoppable cricketer as well as thousands of screaming fans to deal with. It was a cauldron, and you could see that Sachin would feed off the fans and the cheering and expectations would actually get him going. As a captain you knew you had to get him out early and if you did not manage that, you were in for a hard time. There were a few plans we had for him, the one that comes in occasionally trapped him in front of the wicket and we often found him impatient if he were kept away from the strike for long. These tactics worked at times, but very often they did not. I remember seeing him scoring at century that is known as the 'sandstorm knock' in Sharjah. Australia won the game, but if in the change room after the match, you would have thought we were the losing side. I voiced my concern about Sachin's form and Allan Border consoled us saying that it would be impossible for him to bat that well in the finals and that Sachin in fact was due for a failure. Sachin famously scored another century, this time on his 25th birthday to seal the trophy for India. At that point common opinion was that Sachin could not get much better than this. It's hard to say what motivates a player, and when a career spans two decades, the targets must have shifted often and the desire to raise the bar must manifest itself in various ways. Who would have predicted that Sachin would breach the 200 mark in ODIs in his 22nd year? Today he has gone past my 169 Tests and I think he looks good to cross 200 as far as Tests go as well. Perhaps the 200-Test mark is the motivation that is taking Sachin through the training sessions, the travel and the hard yards that might make a player feel jaded after two demanding decades. Today, we are looking at at least two more years of Sachin Tendulkar. However, it was not always this way. He had a bit of a dip a few years ago, but he emerged from that 12-month slump with greater determination to prove that there some fire in the belly. In fact, my last Test was a significant one for Sachin as well. It was the Sydney Test from when we saw a new, cautious, more accumulative batsman take over from his earlier, free-flowing avatar. He had been struggling through that series, and this when the rest of the Indians were actually scoring a lot of runs. Sachin reassessed his game and cut off his off-drive which forced the bowlers to bowl to him while he was content to play the waiting game. It seemed that he had decided that this was the role he wanted to play and this phase continued for many seasons. Again at the SCG in 2008 he played delightfully in the Test that ended in controversy. Few who saw him play would forget his effortless strokeplay, and the manner in which he put the bowlers away in the first innings. Today, Sachin plays smart cricket, but he also seems to be enjoying himself. The body does give him reminders of the wear and tear it has been through, but he has gained in experience and knows his game well enough to adapt himself. He also seems content to preserve himself and does take a break every now and then. Significantly, he has opted out of the Twenty20 format even though he looks very good when he turns out for Mumbai. There is a lot to remember Sachin by whenever he decides to call it a day. There are records that will stand the test of time and there will be some that are bound to be broken. For instance, who is to bet that Virender Sehwag will not score a triple century in onedayers! The game is shifting and reshaping itself all the time, and scores are going to get increasingly stratospheric. However, the one record that he might have for himself is the one for Test appearances. I remember thinking 168 Tests would be a hard number to get past, but it has happened in six years. However, with the number of formats that have now come into the equation, it will be hard for a player to sustain himself for the number of years it takes to play 200 Tests. I am assuming that that is the motivation that will keep the little master hungry for a couple of years more. For all you know it's the 100 centuries in Tests and one-dayers that is keeping Sachin hungry. His centuries are coming at a regular rate once again after a dip in 2005-2006. He is pulling away from the competition, and at 48 and still counting, he might have the record for himself for quite some time. Every player has his own reasons for calling it a day. Shane Warne and Glenn McGrath wanted to sign off with an Ashes series. When I decided to retire, it seemed right to call it a day at Sydney against the Indians. I had made my debut against India in 1985 and it seemed like a cycle would be completed if I were to retire after playing against India. When I hung up my boots, I knew that the goals that would keep me hungry were no longer there. It's clear that Sachin too has earned the right to decide his future on his terms. We are talking about a mature, fit and sensible cricketer who knows he has the desire to play on coupled with the ability to do well. I see the legend growing for at least two more years.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/site/Story/111357/the-heart-goes-on.html