Free hit in test cricket ?

kooljatt

noball.jpg how would that sound guys ?B->B->B-> i know some may say that it would be crazy or leave the tests traditional ways etc. But i feel jst to make things exciting, you know, it would boost test cricket . just imagaine that batting team is going through a quite period, a free hit would make things alive again and might change the way batsmen were playing. Otherwise, no-balls and wides in test cricket seems meaningless to me as they dont make much difference to the match situation. Plz discuss.

Nope. Test cricket should not touched and should be left the way it is. Pitches are already helping batsman pile runs and score at the RR of 4-5 (which is VERY high for test cricket).

noball.jpg how would that sound guys ?B->B->B-> i know some may say that it would be crazy or leave the tests traditional ways etc. But i feel jst to make things exciting, you know, it would boost test cricket . just imagaine that batting team is going through a quite period, a free hit would make things alive again and might change the way batsmen were playing. Otherwise, no-balls and wides in test cricket seems meaningless to me as they dont make much difference to the match situation. Plz discuss.
Beg to differ. As b_b pointed out everything is in favor of batsmen starting from pitches to mediocre bowlers and the last thing they want is introducing 'free hits' in the traditional format. For ODIs and T20s it's fine as it adds to the excitement level. In test cricket anyways there are so many freebies to score from..no third man or fine leg or a just a push between covers earns you a boundary..I mean there are are so many scoring opportunities so why continue punishing those poor bowlers with another penalty?
Nope. Test cricket should not touched and should be left the way it is. Pitches are already helping batsman pile runs and score at the RR of 4-5 (which is VERY high for test cricket).
well, that does not happen every day ( 4-5 runs per over ). Yh, pitches should be something like 60 % bowler and 40 % batsman if u ask me . But dont u think run-rates of 2-3, which most of the times happen, kills test cricket ?
Unfair. In Test cricket you bowl all day unlike mere 10 overs. It will be more punishment.
Absolutely. Take Sree's case for eg. He continued bowling almost the entire 1st session yesterday. There were dropped catches and close leg before shouts..imagine how he would have felt being penalised for over stepping with a FH and batsmen winding up and trying to dispatch him over cow-corner with nothing to loose?
well' date=' that does not happen every day ( 4-5 runs per over ). Yh, pitches should be something like 60 % bowler and 40 % batsman if u ask me . But dont u think run-rates of 2-3, which most of the times happen, kills test cricket ?[/quote'] Well the whole point of "test" cricket is to test players' abilities. Why should a batsman be able to score freely due to bowlers' one mistake that too after he has erred in his footings :dontknow:
As Sarah Palin would say' date=' 'Thanks, but no thanks'.[/quote'] all i was trying to suggest was to make things interesting in test cricket :((. my whole point was in situations when the bowlers bowl negative line to batsmen... u knw on their pads. it makes me switch off tv. that is certainly not TEST cricket in my opnion. Why should spectators pay to watch this kinda stuff ?
all i was trying to suggest was to make things interesting in test cricket :((. my whole point was in situations when the bowlers bowl negative line to batsmen... u knw on their pads. it makes me switch off tv. that is certainly not TEST cricket in my opnion. Why should spectators pay to watch this kinda stuff ?
I see your point, but test cricket is designed in such a way as to test different skill sets of players at different point of time. If a bowler wants to bowl a negative line, so be it. He's playing on the patience of the batsmen and if the batsmen isnt good enough, he'll probably play a rash stroke and get dismissed. Dont go to a test match looking for entertainment, drame, glamor and glitz. We have ODIs and T20 for that. Test cricket is all about the basics - discipline, patience, perseverence, mental toughness. And that is what makes it unique and so enthralling.