Mark Benson insists: I've not quit and have no problem with video replays

Sachinism

THE English umpire Mark Benson is understood to have retired from international cricket with immediate effect after withdrawing from the second day of the second Test match between Australia and the West Indies in Adelaide yesterday. The ICC said Benson, who has been on their elite panel since 2006, was too ill to stand, not just in this Test but for the rest of the series. But there are suggestions he was upset at his treatment on the first day when a number of his decisions were challenged under the controversial new referral system. One of them triggered a string of complaints from Ricky Ponting, the Australia captain. Benson did not go to hospital but boarded a flight out of Australia. He is thought to be on his way to Britain, though he also owns a home in Florida. The referral system was only recently formally agreed after a series of controversial trials, although some countries are still dragging their heels as they haggle with broadcasters over who pays for the extra technology. The system will be used in England’s series with South Africa but India have refused to use it for their home matches with Sri Lanka. David Richardson, the ICC’s general manager, said that he did not know of Benson’s retirement. “Vintcent van der Bijl, our umpires manager, has been speaking to him but I know Mark has a problem with his heart. He was anxious about it. It was worrying him.” If Benson has quit it will be the second big umpiring storm to hit the ICC in three years. Darrell Hair was in effect stood down after ruling that Pakistan had forfeited a Test at The Oval in 2006. Hair was subsequently reinstated to the international panel after taking the ICC to an employment tribunal. The first decision of Benson’s that caused difficulty was an Australian appeal for caught behind against Shivnarine Chanderpaul. He was on 38 and given not out by Benson, a verdict that was upheld by Asad Rauf, the TV official. This led to a long-running inquisition by Ponting, who made several demands of match officials during the day for the reasons behind the not-out verdict. Ponting said later: “The new system was meant to stop this sort of thing happening but it didn’t.” The incident understood to have most upset Benson was when Chanderpaul was later given out caught behind for 62 after Australia had again asked for a referral. Benson had given Chanderpaul not out but Rauf overturned his decision, although the evidence for doing this was unclear. Replays provided little evidence to suggest Chanderpaul’s bat had made contact with ball, with any noise detected appearing to be caused by bat hitting pad, but the Pakistani official gave Chanderpaul out anyway. One Australian newspaper reported that Chanderpaul had been “crucified”. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/cricket/article6946023.ece :hmmm:

Umpire Benson heading for retirement- in protest to the Review System

Umpire Benson heading for retirement Mark Benson is planning to retire from umpiring with immediate effect following his sudden withdrawal from the Adelaide Test. The Sunday Times have reported Benson was upset over several incidents involving the Umpire Decision Review System on day one of the second Test between Australia and West Indies, one of which led to his original decision being overturned. Benson twice ruled Shivnarine Chanderpaul not-out to caught-behind appeals on Friday, both of which were challenged by the Australians. The third umpire, Asad Rauf, upheld Benson's first ruling, prompting an angry response from the bowler, Doug Bollinger, and the Australian captain, Ricky Ponting. But it is the second video review, which resulted in Chanderpaul being ruled out for 62, that is understood to have most upset the English official. Hot Spot replays showed no evidence of the ball striking the outside edge of Chanderpaul's bat, however other camera angles provided Rauf with enough evidence to reverse Benson's original ruling. Cricinfo has learned that an irate Benson "ranted" to colleagues in the umpire's room after the first day's play about his dissatisfaction with the UDRS. He is believed to have told them the new system "just makes (umpiring) harder", however ICC officials were remaining tight-lipped on the matter on Sunday. David Morgan, the ICC chairman, told Cricinfo Benson was "poorly" and referred other questions to David Richardson, the ICC's general manager, and Vintcent van der Bijl, the umpire's manager. Chris Broad, the match referee who is presiding over the Adelaide Test, denied Benson's swift departure from Adelaide was the result of unhappiness over the UDRS. "There is absolutely no truth in that at all," Broad said. "The review system is new to everyone and you've got to get used to it. He was an advocate of the review system to help umpires out. "We spoke on the second morning and he said that he was feeling unwell. I was in India with him as well where he was unwell. We thought this might well be another situation like that we were in in India. We chatted about it and he said he didn't feel as though he could go on the field again. We decided to leave him back in the hotel. I phoned Dubai and they decided that if it was a recurrence of high blood pressure or stomach problems he had in India he needed to get it sorted out. That was the reason that I was aware he went home." ICC sources have told Cricinfo, however, that The Sunday Times report is indeed accurate, and an announcement from Benson is expected after his arrival into Britain. Precisely why Benson opted to leave Adelaide before the conclusion of the second Test remains unknown. Benson stood down from two one-day internationals involving Australia and India this year due to migraines, and previously experienced heart palpitations during a Test between South Africa and India in Durban. It is understood he did not visit a hospital in Adelaide before his departure on Saturday, despite "ill health" being cited by the ICC as the cause for his departure. Controversy has always followed umpires, but scrutiny has escalated of late. Darrell Hair resorted to legal avenues after he was sidelined by the ICC for his role in the forfeited Test at The Oval between England and Pakistan two years ago, while Steve Bucknor was benched for the latter stages of the Australia-India Test series two summers ago after the BCCI complained of errors. "There's probably less pressure on the umpires now with a review system than there was beforehand," Broad said. "Umpires would stand out there in the morning and captains and fielders would strut around not really knowing the result of it. With the review system they know the result straight away."
http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvwi09/content/current/story/438322.html

Wow!! So Mr. Benson suddenly realises he finds it difficult to overturn his on field decisions! Where were these thought when he overturned at least 10 of his decisions during the Ind-SL series? Perhaps he was happy celebrating the fact tht those changed decisions had helped defeat India backthen. Hypocrict at its very best. Go away Mr. Benson, the game of cricket will be better to watch without incompetent and biased fools like you.

Seems like yob pontings at it again. As his on field behaviour and disgusting behaviour and lack of respect to umpire led to this. Ponting is a stain on world cricket. ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Simon Wilde, cricket correspondent THE English umpire Mark Benson is understood to have retired from international cricket with immediate effect after withdrawing from the second day of the second Test match between Australia and the West Indies in Adelaide yesterday. The ICC said Benson, who has been on their elite panel since 2006, was too ill to stand, not just in this Test but for the rest of the series. But there are suggestions he was upset at his treatment on the first day when a number of his decisions were challenged under the controversial new referral system. One of them triggered a string of complaints from Ricky Ponting, the Australia captain. Benson did not go to hospital but boarded a flight out of Australia. He is thought to be on his way to Britain, though he also owns a home in Florida. The referral system was only recently formally agreed after a series of controversial trials, although some countries are still dragging their heels as they haggle with broadcasters over who pays for the extra technology. The system will be used in England’s series with South Africa but India have refused to use it for their home matches with Sri Lanka. David Richardson, the ICC’s general manager, said that he did not know of Benson’s retirement. “Vintcent van der Bijl, our umpires manager, has been speaking to him but I know Mark has a problem with his heart. He was anxious about it. It was worrying him.” If Benson has quit it will be the second big umpiring storm to hit the ICC in three years. Darrell Hair was in effect stood down after ruling that Pakistan had forfeited a Test at The Oval in 2006. Hair was subsequently reinstated to the international panel after taking the ICC to an employment tribunal. The first decision of Benson’s that caused difficulty was an Australian appeal for caught behind against Shivnarine Chanderpaul. He was on 38 and given not out by Benson, a verdict that was upheld by Asad Rauf, the TV official. This led to a long-running inquisition by Ponting, who made several demands of match officials during the day for the reasons behind the not-out verdict. Ponting said later: “The new system was meant to stop this sort of thing happening but it didn’t.” The incident understood to have most upset Benson was when Chanderpaul was later given out caught behind for 62 after Australia had again asked for a referral. Benson had given Chanderpaul not out but Rauf overturned his decision, although the evidence for doing this was unclear. Replays provided little evidence to suggest Chanderpaul’s bat had made contact with ball, with any noise detected appearing to be caused by bat hitting pad, but the Pakistani official gave Chanderpaul out anyway. One Australian newspaper reported that Chanderpaul had been “crucified”.

So Mr. Benson suddenly realises he finds it difficult to overturn his on field decisions! Where were these thought when he overturned at least 10 of his decisions during the Ind-SL series? Perhaps he was happy celebrating the fact tht those changed decisions had helped defeat India backthen. Go away Mr. Benson, the game of cricket will be better to watch without incompetent and biased fools like you.
Umnpires are human, they make mistakes, now stop crying and move on.
There should be seminar by ICC to make them understand how review system works. All the commentators, players, umpires, referrees should attend it. That is the only way forward.
The way forward is to ban players who bully umpires, the first one is Ponting, a 3 match ban would be ideal. Nothing wrong witht he review system, except stupid captains and players who can't accept decisions still.

Benson consigned to county cricket as ICC write off English umpire article-1233930-0777916D000005DC-760_87x84.jpg Mark Benson's career as an elite umpire is over after the International Cricket Council claimed the Englishman could not cope with the pressures at the highest level.to4EBzHl1MsMore... Mark Benson consigned to county cricket as ICC claim English umpire 'couldn't handle the job' following walkout Down Under By Paul Newman Last updated at 9:00 PM on 07th December 2009 Mark Benson's career as an elite umpire is over after the International Cricket Council claimed the Englishman could not cope with the pressures of officiating at the highest level. Benson, 51, walked out on the second Test between Australia and West Indies in Adelaide after a first day in which he was undermined by the controversial new review system. While ICC general manager David Richardson claimed the blighted system had no part in Benson’s withdrawal, it is inconceivable the overturning of his decision to give Shiv Chanderpaul not out was not the decisive factor. article-1233930-0777916D000005DC-555_468x286.jpg In ashes: Australia captain Ricky Ponting probes English umpire Mark Benson, whose career as an elite official is over after the ICC deemed he cannot cope It is understood that Benson felt undermined by the referral system, which is due to be used in England’s Test series in South Aafrica, when it was first trialled in India and that the Adelaide furore was the last straw. Benson, who has had minor heart surgery, was subjected to an intense verbal inquisition from Australia captain Ricky Ponting after the first of two caught behind appeals against Chanderpaul was given not out by TV umpire Asad Rauf. It was when Rauf overturned a second not out decision without significant TV evidence that Benson decided enough was enough. The former Kent captain returned to England and spent Monday in conversation with ICC umpires chief Vintcent van der Bijl, but Richardson’s damning verdict has confirmed his fate. ‘Coping with a pressured job proved too much,’ he said. ‘We can only contract umpires if they are up to the job.’ Benson’s future lies in county cricket, where he is due to spend three months next summer. In other news, former Professional Cricketers’ Association chief Sean Morris, who left in mysterious circumstances this summer, has joined IPL franchise Rajasthan Royals as CEO.

Benson to remain on ICC elite panel Mark Benson has moved to quash speculation of his impending retirement from the ICC's elite panel of umpires, and has issued a statement declaring that his withdrawal from the recently concluded second Test between Australia and West Indies in Adelaide was entirely due to health reasons. Benson flew back to the UK after a solitary day of that match, having handed his on-field duties over to the TV umpire Asad Rauf, who had been at the centre of two controversial interventions involving Shivnarine Chanderpaul. The second, when Chanderpaul had made 62, resulted in Benson's original not-out decision being overturned, despite no clear evidence of an edge through to the keeper. After the close of play, an agitated Benson was understood to have "ranted" to his colleagues in the umpires' room, and soon afterwards announced his intention to step down from his duties for the remainder of the match. However, after meeting with the umpires' chief, Vince van der Bijl, on Monday, Benson declared he was keen to continue in his role as an elite umpire. "Following my withdrawal from the Adelaide Test and the media speculation about my future, I would like to clarify that I have not resigned as an elite panel umpire," read Benson's statement. "I had withdrawn after the first day's play as I felt that due to my general health, I was not up to the task and felt it was in the best interests of the game, the ICC and myself that I step down and hand over to my colleague on the elite panel, Asad Rauf. "I have been in discussions with the ICC since my return from Australia and we have agreed that I will undergo a series of medical assessments. We will then discuss my future and my position as an ICC elite umpire." Benson, who captained Kent and played one Test for England in 1986, has a recent history of health problems, and was forced to sit out the one-day series between Australia and India in October due to high blood pressure and stomach problems. He insisted that it was this issue, rather than any concerns about the use of technology in umpiring, that prompted his decision. "I would also like to state clearly that my withdrawal had nothing whatsoever to do with the umpire decision review system (UDRS). I remain a proponent of the use of technology as it helps the reduction of the obvious umpiring errors. The media speculation about the so-called disagreement in the umpires' room is unfounded and totally untrue." ICC Chief Executive Haroon Lorgat said: "I sincerely hope that after Mark's clarification, all speculation will be put to rest and the focus will return to the Perth Test which is extremely crucial to Australia who needs to beat the West Indies to prevent dropping from its current third position to fourth in the ICC Test Championship table." However, not everyone within the ICC is convinced of the reasons for Benson's behaviour. John Holder, the ICC umpires performance manager for Europe, told the Guardian: "Some people may feel that the [uDRS] process is humiliating and Benny may be one of those. Maybe he is a bit too sensitive to cope with it." "The reality is that now umpiring is so much more under the microscope," said Holder, who stood in 11 Tests and 19 one-day internationals. "Benny has had a few health problems even before he got on to the international panel. Maybe this job is not cut out for him. "Imagine how it is: you have made a decision in good faith and you are having it overthrown in front of millions of people worldwide. Some people might find that humiliating. Some umpires can give a decision, be told they have got it wrong, and get on with their lives. Others can't." http://www.cricinfo.com/ausvwi09/content/current/story/438623.html ?