An enigma called Sehwag

champ

this man is really a enigma for indian fans .. he shows patience and hunger to score runs in test matches .. but he more often than not disappoints and frustrates in shorter form of game .. i dont even mind if he fails in t20s .. he has to come good in ODIs and score more big scores consistently .. what could be the problem for him to be so inconsistent .. is it the pressure he builds upon himself after a few dot balls .. but he does ok in tests ? is it the field placements in a ODI that confuse him to play some shots and get out ? is it that he gets carried over by the quick starts and does not concentrate to make a big score ? or is it just plain bad luck ?

I would say he feels the need to over attack in limited overs games, just because it is limited overs and the pressure to score at 6 an over etc. In Tests he plays normally and even his normal game is much quicker than every other batsman in the world. You have a point about throwing it away after getting a quick score, but this is a man who scores a Test century every four matches so it would be strange if it was just a case of losing concentration/throwing it away in ODIs. But whatever it is, you can't call it bad luck over a 200 game career. Mind you before the Aus series he was actually improving in ODIs.

i think field settings also matter.in tests u have 3 slips generally n attacking fields,leaving more open space for boundaries.but in LOIs u ave restrictive fields n thus he has to take chances. also he tries to bat too fast.a strike rate of 100 should be acceptable from him n he should bat more