Media reaction around the world upon India claiming the Number 1 position in ICC Test ranking

If one takes out their deification by their own fans, India are hardly obvious top-dog material. They remain a mentally fragile side, as their recent ODI defeat at home to Australia showed. Having done much of the hard work in chasing a mammoth 351 in Hyderabad, they choked within sight of the winning line. Their spirits broken, they barely turned up for the next game. It was another format of the game admittedly, but it exposed India’s lack of belief – as did their reluctance to subject themselves to the new umpiring referral system.
This passage in the article makes my blood boil everytime. Hardly top-dog material? Mentally fragile? And we're chokers because we couldnt finish the fight in a record breaking chase? What the eff is this guy on about?
No one's opinion is making a difference...but if you are saying "A ranking of No 1 doesn't mean India is No 1" one would like to know who you think is no.1 and what makes them no.1
No disrespect intended to India, but in my mind, Australia and maybe South Africa I just love how they prove their critics wrong, time and again. The same could be said about India but, our bowling is too erratic, wonderful oneday, woeful the next. Some resembelance of consistency and I would be convinced of the alternative to the opinion I currently hold.
No disrespect intended to India, but in my mind, Australia and maybe South Africa I just love how they prove their critics wrong, time and again. The same could be said about India but, our bowling is too erratic, wonderful oneday, woeful the next. Some resembelance of consistency and I would be convinced of the alternative to the opinion I currently hold.
I won't deny our bowling is erratic (sadly). But Aussies have been mediocre in Test cricket in the past year (three losses and one win in four major series) and certainly don't deserve to be ranked ahead of India. ODI cricket different matter
I am shocked. Have you been watching cricket in last few years?
Consistency is lacking among all teams. You have to understand how rankings are done. As a Test team if you lose to a weak team you will lose more points. Weaker the opposition more the points you would lose. It is all relative. Once India reaches the top they cannot afford to lose to anyone as points will come down drastically. Australia lost to a 5th or 6th ranked England team so they lost lot of points.
Australia didn't exactly nosedive' date=' did they ? Series win in South Africa, Champions trophy win, a good fist of the Ashes, Series win in India, not too shabby, I feel.[/quote'] Why are you mixing up Test and ODI cricket? In Tests - thrashed in India - lost to SA at home - beat SA away (only good result) - lost to England (who are themselves rubbish) Beat the minnows as expected
Australia didn't exactly nosedive' date=' did they ? Series win in South Africa, Champions trophy win, a good fist of the Ashes, Series win in India, not too shabby, I feel.[/quote'] make up ur mind.. tests or ODIs... and this thread is talking abt the test ranking.. duh... good fist of the ashes?? :cantwait: .... then our series loss in oz and SL were also good fist of the series.. werent they??
I won't deny our bowling is erratic (sadly). But Aussies have been mediocre in Test cricket in the past year (three losses and one win in four major series) and certainly don't deserve to be ranked ahead of India. ODI cricket different matter
Considering the team composition, I thought they were really competetive. They lost, but its a matter of whom I enjoy supporting.
I am shocked. Have you been watching cricket in last few years?
Our bowling in not erratic ? Can you please explain the "questionable" pitches ?
You cant mix test and ODI. :nono:
Major tournaments, were they not ?
Considering the team composition' date=' I thought they were really competetive. They lost, but its a matter of whom I enjoy supporting.[/quote'] Dude you can support who you want, but the results are out there and not something you can just wish away. Three series losses out of four against the good sides says it all frankly