Media reaction around the world upon India claiming the Number 1 position in ICC Test ranking

That India are so close to going top highlights the flaws in the ranking system' date=' [b']as does Sri Lanka’s second place in the table. Both these teams rely heavily on favourable results at home for their standing. Sri Lanka have never won a series in Australia, South Africa or India; indeed, against major opposition, they have only beaten Pakistan on their own soil in a series of three matches. The rankings do not appear to take proper account of how teams perform “on the road”.
Limiting discussion to tests, please tell me what the issue is when argues that the ICC test rankings are flawed.
Please enlighten us as to how come such as shyt team is ranked second ?
Firstly, yes the ranking system is not perfect and will throw up the odd anomaly, but these will get ironed out very quickly. How long were SL ranked second for? They'll drop down to number 4 after this loss. Similarly, India will have to work harder to stay at the top now because we will lose a lot of points if we lose to anyone based on the point differential. Secondly, SL are not a shyte team - they are pretty much unbeatable at home. They even thrashed South Africa at home and have not played Australia after Warne's retirement. They are crap abroad, but are monsters at home and deserve to be number 4, where they will eventually end up after their brief reign of 2 months.
Please enlighten us as to how come such as shyt team is ranked second ?
Do you think there is some black magic going on here with the rankings ? There are clearly defined mathematical rules to give out points on winning matches and series against opponents of various rankings. SL sucked less than OZ, and hence is higher up. Don't forget that we got beaten by SL and although that team might look shyte now, when Mendis first came we sucked balls against them.
lost respect for sree india here. lost the plot. "made good fist of ashes"????? They lost period to england a poor test side. India beat england. And talking about odis??? What has that got to do with Test rankings?
Hopefully it will be restored once he turns his attention towards Padosis :winky:
So' date=' Shwetabh, PK and VVS, so by your admission, you agree that the test ranking system is flawed, the same point Simon was trying to make ?[/quote'] His arguments are pretty crappy. Simon was using your kind of arguments, talking about mental fragility of our ODI team in an article about test rankings. I think it was supposed to be an inflammatory article, because although we are accustomed to seeing crap cricket journalism, this article was, as people on this board like to say, "something else" . :hehe:

everyone talks about india and slanka being unbeatable at home due to favorable pitches.. WTF.. even aussie pitches are bouncy and pacy which is favorable to their type of batting and bowling and thats how they keep thrashing every team that visits.. barring sa in the last series and a good fight by india in the last 2 series.. and indian pitches are not a mystery anymore.. in this decade we have lost 2 series one to aus and one to sa.. so a team that has better resources and better preparation can beat india at home.. we are no more an unbeatable side at home.. we are winning now because we have a superior team than in the past.. the questionable pitch u r talking about... if the toss went the other way, probably sa could have won and i'm sure smith wouldnt have complained.. when we goto durban.. aren't they making the fastest/bounciest pitch on earth? can we call that questionable?

So' date=' Shwetabh, PK and VVS, so by your admission, you agree that the test ranking system is flawed, the same point Simon was trying to make ?[/quote'] The ranking system is not perfect as it weighs the home and abroad performances the same way, so will throw up the odd anomaly like SL being number 2 for a couple of months, but that will get sorted out very quickly as it happened now. And Simon's point is not that the ranking system has glitches - his point is that the ranking system has glitches because India have managed to become number 1. For that, I challenge anyone to have a subjective discussion as to why India does not deserve to be number 1. As I said in my earlier post, South Africa and India are the top two teams and who is the long term number 1 will be decided in March.
Excuse the confusion between ODI and TEST rankings but as his far as his argument of flawed TEST rankings go' date=' I agree with him.[/quote'] You still dont get it. He was using india's poor ODI performance in last few months to buttress his point that India don't deserve to be ranked 1 in TESTS. That is THE ultimate flop argument, and basically tells you a lot about author's intentions.
Excuse the confusion between ODI and TEST rankings but as his far as his argument of flawed TEST rankings go' date=' I agree with him.[/quote'] Sree, I really think you ought to have a look at how the Test ranking system is devised. As PK said, it is not some mumbo jumbo thing, there is a properly defined mathematical formula used to construct them. If you or Wilde have a criticism of that formula, do tell us. But your arguments are more of the "so and so team is not good in my view so how can it be ranked highly" variety which are meaningless. The Outsider also makes a good point about the home/away thing and how these anamolies are corrected quickly enough.
The ranking system is not perfect as it weighs the home and abroad performances the same way, so will throw up the odd anomaly like SL being number 2 for a couple of months, but that will get sorted out very quickly as it happened now. And Simon's point is not that the ranking system has glitches - his point is that the ranking system has glitches because India have managed to become number 1. For that, I challenge anyone to have a subjective discussion as to why India does not deserve to be number 1. As I said in my earlier post, South Africa and India are the top two teams and who is the long term number 1 will be decided in March.
If India are the best TEST team, how long do you predict them maintaining the ranking for ? Surely not a period of 1 or 2 months ? If India are indeed No 1 but consistently ranked between 1 - 3 due to anamolies in the ranking system, what does that say about the ranking system ?