We're embarrassed after Test win: Ponting

Feed

Australian skipper Ricky Ponting has admitted he and his players had finished a victorious WACA Test embarrassed rather than proud, after a tense 35-run win was overshadowed by the return of headlines focusing on the team's bad behaviour rather than good play. More... We're embarrassed after Test win: Ponting TIM CLARKE December 20, 2009 - 2:26PM Australian skipper Ricky Ponting has admitted he and his players had finished a victorious WACA Test embarrassed rather than proud, after a tense 35-run win was overshadowed by the return of headlines focusing on the team's bad behaviour rather than good play. Despite some defiant hitting from the final West Indian pairing of Kemar Roach and Gavin Tonge, Australia wrapped up the match and the series by taking the final wicket after 21 balls and 17 minutes of day five in Perth. Completing a 2-0 series scoreline that may have slightly flattered the Australians, news that Shane Watson had joined Brad Haddin and Mitchell Johnson in the ICC bad books for his over-indulgent celebration yesterday tarnished the celebrations. And Ponting admitted he would take some of the blame for the niggle in the Perth contest, which saw Johnson and Haddin clash with Sulieman Benn on day two, and then Watson give Chris Gayle an ungracious send-off yesterday morning. "I am not proud of the fact, and I am sure the players are not proud of the fact, that we have had three guys reported in the one game," Ponting said. "Reports are something we have been really strict on the last couple of years and we actually have a really good record with that the last couple of years. "I know all the guys are a bit embarrassed and know they have overstepped the mark. "And as a captain I have to take some responsibility for it, but when things happen in the spur of the moment like that it is not like can interject either. "Particularly when Johnson and Haddin in the middle and I am not out there … there is not much you can do. All you can do is talk to them about and let them know it is unacceptable. "It's up to them and me now and everyone in the side to make sure that doesn't happen again." West Indies officials intend to send a letter to the ICC about what they see as inequalities in the sentencing of the players in the first incident – with Benn banned for two games, but the Australian players just fined. After manager Joel Garner expressed his disgust yesterday, Gayle would not be drawn on the same issue today – but was more forthcoming on his feelings about Watson's behaviour, after he was fined 15 per cent of his match fee overnight for conduct "contrary to the spirit of the game", . "He is that sort of person so I did not expect anything better. That is typically Shane Watson, he is a passionate person, that is how he expressed himself but maybe he did overdo it a bit," Gayle said. "But I think this is part of the game and a bit of aggression is always good. "Sometimes guys show their frustration out there, it might show on the telly as a bit disastrous but it is nothing like that. "I think they have been under a bit of pressure even thought they won the series 2-0." Gayle who will now become a Western Warrior ahead of the T20 Big Bash series starting on December 29, was named both man-of-the-match and man-of-the-series. "I'm happy to get two centuries as a personal milestone, I always wanted a hundred against Australia and I achieved that here, so I'm happy with that,” Gayle said. “I think people look at us now and think a bit differently, based on how we went about this series, even though we lost 2-0. I definitely know from Australia's point of view we've gained a bit more respect from them. they know it wasn't going to be a pushover, and only in the first match did they actually walk over us.”

Just feeling embarassed wont do, if you were a true person, playing in the right spirit of the game, you should have immideately stopped the new mokey(watson) from jumping out of the box and kept him under some control.And :punter: should not say all these, as we all know how well within spirit he and his team play.:D Just to address the attention about fairplay, he has said that in front of the media, i bet he would be the same ponting and same watson next time they go on a field.

Bloody hell... for the last 2 years after sydney, they have been just acting as if they are good guys... it was only a matter of time before these racist junkees showed their true color.. they were about to blow the lid in india and unfortunately for us, it was ganbir who got victimized.. since then they were playing only whites and the moment they bumped into a non-white team, they blew the lid... pathetic racists.. entire team sucks..

Bloody hell... for the last 2 years after sydney, they have been just acting as if they are good guys... it was only a matter of time before these racist junkees showed their true color.. they were about to blow the lid in india and unfortunately for us, it was ganbir who got victimized.. since then they were playing only whites and the moment they bumped into a non-white team, they blew the lid... pathetic racists.. entire team sucks..
:hysterical: God I love Indian cricket fans.
now thats over the board... not required... To be honest we are no angels either...
Lol! How pitiful... your display of intelligence is more humorous than that joke of a post. I wonder how the ICF Mod team will respond to this post which is negative towards whites... I'd be surprised to see the same reaction that was given towards my post which appeared to be negative towards non-whites.
whats wrong in calling the racists as racists.. :dontknow: the whole world knows.. try living in oz land, take a late night train to a suburb in the outskirts and come back and comment here, if you are in one piece
Try going to central Trinidad (WI) where I lived for over 4 years and see if you get treated any better from Blacks. Go to the suburbs of Japan and see if you get treated any better from Asians. Take a stop in Astoria, NY where I was born and experience how Hispanics treat you. You talk as if Whites are the only racist people out there, you make yourself look so delusional and ignorant. This whole "race card" crap on Whites is one of the biggest pieces of bullshit I've ever seen.
whats wrong in calling the racists as racists.. :dontknow: the whole world knows.. try living in oz land, take a late night train to a suburb in the outskirts and come back and comment here, if you are in one piece
Okay how about I (being an Anglo Australian) take a late night train to some dodgy suburb and see if I make it in one piece. I can guarantee you I wouldn't make it hassle free. Fact is you will get bullied no matter who you are, that's just the way it is. If you are referring to the attacks on Indian students, do note that they were attacked by whites, Asians, Middle Easterners, Aboriginals and Islanders.

Also don't forget that Australia is one of the most multi cultural countires and the world and 99 percent of foreigners get along just fine. Obviously the attacks were unfortunate but it happens to everyone (even I have been yelled at for being Australian - by Lebonese). As for suggesting that the Australian team are all racist.. it is completely unfounded. None of them have had any charges over racism in the past and all the scrapping with Benn and Gayle was obviously not racially motivated. They were having a go at eachother and tempers boiled over. Do you think Benn and Gayle are racists too?

pretty hard to prove any ex player is a racist, they would have to do something incredibly stupid to earn that label. for example the cricketer who wrote the following in their autobiography is clearly racist; "To call the crowd a 'crowd' in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a 'mob'. The way they shrieked and howled every time Holding bowled was positively horrible. They encouraged him with shouts of 'Kill him, Maaaan!' 'Hit im Maan!', 'Knock his head off Mike!' All this proved beyond a shadow of doubt that these people still belonged to the jungles and forests, instead of a civilised country.... Their partisan attitude was even more evident when they did not applaud any shots we played. At one stage I even 'demanded' claps for a boundary shot off Daniel. All I got was laughter from the section, which certainly hadn't graduated from the trees where they belonged.... They were stamping their legs, clapping and jumping with joy. The only word I can think of to describe the behaviour of the crowd is 'barbarian'. Here was a man seriously injured, and these barbarians were thirsting for more blood, instead of expressing sympathy, as any civilised and sporting crowd would have done.... The whole thing was sickening. Never have I seen such cold-blooded and positively indifferent behaviour from cricket officials and the spectators, to put it mildly, were positively inhuman."

Before or after Cronulla ? Is this BS by those lebanese still going on ?
I think it was after. (search lebonese gangs or wogstralia in youtube to see what kind of people we're dealing with). Unfortunately it is still pretty bad, but may have improved slightly (not 100 percent sure because I live in Canberra and things are fine here). I don't think it will ever fully stop though but things aren't as bad as they may seem. It's a shame that these things give Australia a bad name but I can assure you the riots weren't unprovoked. Someone mentioned you're trying to get an Australian citizenship? Is that right? Where do you live?
pretty hard to prove any ex player is a racist, they would have to do something incredibly stupid to earn that label. for example the cricketer who wrote the following in their autobiography is clearly racist; "To call the crowd a 'crowd' in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a 'mob'. The way they shrieked and howled every time Holding bowled was positively horrible. They encouraged him with shouts of 'Kill him, Maaaan!' 'Hit im Maan!', 'Knock his head off Mike!' All this proved beyond a shadow of doubt that these people still belonged to the jungles and forests, instead of a civilised country.... Their partisan attitude was even more evident when they did not applaud any shots we played. At one stage I even 'demanded' claps for a boundary shot off Daniel. All I got was laughter from the section, which certainly hadn't graduated from the trees where they belonged.... They were stamping their legs, clapping and jumping with joy. The only word I can think of to describe the behaviour of the crowd is 'barbarian'. Here was a man seriously injured, and these barbarians were thirsting for more blood, instead of expressing sympathy, as any civilised and sporting crowd would have done.... The whole thing was sickening. Never have I seen such cold-blooded and positively indifferent behaviour from cricket officials and the spectators, to put it mildly, were positively inhuman."
Who wrote this?