What is so great about Mac

jf1gp_1

let me begin by saying i am not talking about ipods/iphone they are great products I have used Mac a bit; maybe i am so used to windows that i dont find mac user friendly. the whole task bar or whatever that is at the bottom is just odd, to do a simple thing like print screen you need to know key combination and lets not even get into the hardware pricing so if you are a mac user how do i go about liking Mac

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Unless you're an avid gamer, OS X has almost everything that Windows has. For me, I'm a Linux fan but I also needed a nice desktop that didn't need a lot of tweaking, and found mac to be a perfect balance of unix and the gui. Stability-wise, etc. it is far better than windows since its built on Darwin, which is essentially a mod of the openbsd kernel.

I've had a mac for 2 years. Never had to reboot it, it has never hung and startup is always less than a min. And now, I can run Windows on it when I want with bootcamp or other paid software. I used to be a skeptic and as time has passed, I'm more convinced of how sturdy and dependable my mac is. I use PC for work but would not pay for a PC out of my pocket ever again.

You couldn't be farther from the truth. Unless you're an avid gamer' date=' OS X has almost everything that Windows has. For me, I'm a Linux fan but I also needed a nice desktop that didn't need a lot of tweaking, and found mac to be a perfect balance of unix and the gui. Stability-wise, etc. it is far better than windows since its built on Darwin, which is essentially a mod of the openbsd kernel.[/quote'] No OSX is based on the Mach Microkernel with parts from FreeBSD not OpenBSD. The gui is a derivitive of the Nextstep gui. OSX is crap and Apple's stuff is even more restrictive than Microsoft's. Unfortunately the Mac has no end of fanboys willing to fawn over their shiny expensive toys.
Mac is the de-facto computer of the scientific community. It has plenty of good stuff.
Really? Please substantiate your claims. In the UK the only info I have from friends who have done Engineering, Physics, Computer Science and Maths courses at University is that Linux is becoming the standard after having replaced proprietary Unix systems. Unix has always been the bad boy when it comes to powerful computing systems and Linux being a free Unix-clone makes it perfect for the job. It's not uncommon in a UK University to see pc labs full of Linux machines.

My entire Physics department is completely furnished with iMacs. My engineering department lab is filled with Red Hat machines. I have 2 machines - a macbook pro and a linux machine. I am not a fanboy for macs but I sincerely appreciate what they're offering me right now, and I'm happy with that. Obviously, your opinion varies, and I dont mind it. (And noted about FreeBSD kernel - I was under the impression that it was OpenBSD. )

Really? Please substantiate your claims. In the UK the only info I have from friends who have done Engineering, Physics, Computer Science and Maths courses at University is that Linux is becoming the standard after having replaced proprietary Unix systems. Unix has always been the bad boy when it comes to powerful computing systems and Linux being a free Unix-clone makes it perfect for the job. It's not uncommon in a UK University to see pc labs full of Linux machines.
I am in US and I am talking for personal computing needs, not cluster/hi performance computing. Almost all my professors use a mac as their main computing device, so do a big majority of people that I meet in conferences. and yes, I am talking math,physics and engineering community. Linux is used to run the servers which run the most demanding computing applications. Macs offer the best of both worlds i.e. they are robust and virus-free like linux based computers and easy to use too.

reasons why i use a mac more than windows : performance .. leopard os is best ... never had problems with hangups , apps opening slowly etc.. its speed amazes .. its unix flavor .. mac are designed to be virus free .. so no attacks while on net .. but i disagree this .. they are vulnerable .. probably its bcos of not being as familiar as windows and hackers are not much interested in creating virus for it .. earlier there was problems in shortage of apps .. now there is too many to choose .. and the wacky interfaces and designs is a bonus .. a nice cherry on the top .. mac's are the best .. u will realise only when u experience it .. :two_thumbs_up: reason not to use a mac : expensive ..

Myth Windows easier to hack and macs are designed to be virus free, is a joke statmet http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Mac-OS-X-hacked-under-30-minutes/0,130061744,139241748,00.htm Macs areas easy or easier. Macs are appliances, which I guess people not into serious gaming or upgrading their machines etc will be happy with. Anybody who wants to own a machine which can be upgraded etc needs a windows machine at the min with Linux ruling the roost.

Look if you are too used to windows, it will take some time to get used to the mac OS. But once you get used to it, it is much more intuitive than a PC. For example, to install an application, all you need to do is drag and drop it into your applications folder from the disk image. Thats it. To uninstall, just drag and drop to trash/delete. Lets put it this way. For a person with absolutely 0 computer knowledge, learning how to use OS X will be much easier than learning windows.