Umar Akmal is a potential batting great

Umm now that's a really dumb statement. Did you even bother watching the match? Infact I'd go so far as to say that you probably haven't watched young Akmal play yet :cantstop:
I wont be surprised if you never watched that innings . That was nothing but slogging Umar got away with & he was bound to get found out . Umar cant play a single authentic cricketing shot . Has no offside game , add to that his shoddy technique . Can he even time the ball well ? He plays those stupid shots , cos he dosnt have proper ones . He will be a good ODI player , by Pak standards ....but test class ? :cantstop:
He has loads of weaknesses for bowlers to exploit. He is one of the player who was brought up under tape ball culture. Talent is the most abused word in Pakistan. Talent means batsmen playing fancy shots.
This....Umar is ok but he is nowhere near test class yet.Too loose and lacks temperament.
I wont be surprised if you never watched that innings . That was nothing but slogging Umar got away with & he was bound to get found out . Umar cant play a single authentic cricketing shot . Has no offside game , add to that his shoddy technique . Can he even time the ball well ? He plays those stupid shots , cos he dosnt have proper ones . He will be a good ODI player , by Pak standards ....but test class ? :cantstop:
100% agreed.Umar has no foot work against pace.Cuts and pulls off front foot.Hardly drives through covers.

Umar Akmal plays the spin well, he uses his feet well, gets to the pitch of the ball while driving, uses his wrists well to flick the ball, and what more, he is gifted with the touch. But when he tries to do something silly, like looking to slog across, go for towering hits, I think that is where the problem starts. He is a sweet timer of the ball and hence should not look to involve power as an integral part of his batting like many of his team mates, Razzaq and Afridi are power hitters and not sweetest timers of the Cricket ball. So yesterday he played some good strokes, he came down the track against spinners, used his feet well.But the interesting thing to see will be, will be use his feet and come down the track to the others spinners ? With that I mean, will he be confident enough to come down the track against someone like Murali who has got lot of variations especially the "doosra" which he uses so well to deceive the batsman. If he does well, then I rate him as a good player against spin. Against pace, he is a little vulnerable, he looks tentative and is sometimes found poking at some deliveries outside the off stump. He is a good cutter, hooker of the ball, so he is good on bouncy wickets, but its the general swing and seam that founds him guessing, he doesn't come onto the front foot to drive, his off stump awareness is not all that good, but still early days for him. He is a good player in the making, I just hope he takes guidance and lessons from the right man :)