Wanted: Bowling and Fielding coaches

Zelig

MS Dhoni said India is missing bowling and fielding coaches, resulting in an increased workload for chief coach Gary Kirsten. More Umm..so who are your picks? I would like to see Allan Donald or Pollock as our bowling coach and Jonty Rhodes(if available) or Trevor Penny to take care of the fielding dept. Trevor is rated highly in county circuit and is currently working for Western Australia.

Why is it when everone gives their choices as coach, they always go for brilliant players for the positions. It just makes me laugh. When it comes to bowling coaches people say Pollock, Donald, Mcgrath etc. Fielding coach Rhodes etc. Thery are all brillinat players in those disciplines. But what are their coaching credentials?? We are not hiring them as players but coaches. Getting top players to coach is not always the answer, just look at Chappel. One needs to look at their coaching background not their player background. Taking an unproven coach just based on the player background to me is a ridiculous risk for the No 1 cricket team in the world. Anyway no doubt we will have here contenders for all time world 11s as nominees for coaching positions. Anyway coaches role is so overrated anyway. Good luck for any fileding coach making Nehra or Munaf a competent fielder!

Well, Allan Donald is currently the head coach of Warwick, also he had worked with the England team two years back. Rhodes had a brief stint with the Saffie team before and is part of the MI team. So both have experience but how good they can be?...

Anyway coaches role is so overrated anyway.
I don't think so. Had it been overrated then 'similar teams' under guru Greg and guru Gary would have performed similar - but they performed contrastingly! Secondly, coaches job is to look at situations from different perspective, try to keep players motivated, talk to them and help them with their difficulties. Finally, if Dhoni feels that we're missing a bowling coach then I trust his word!
Batting Coach - Viv Richards Pace Bowling Coach - Mcgrath Spin bowling Coach - Warne All rounder Coach - Dev Fielding Coach - Rhodes Overall Coach - Sobers. Looks good doesn't it, with that background staff there will be no stopping us:--D
Then we can have regular match between coach XI and players XI :--D

But this raises a question. Why the hell BCCI sacked bowling coach and fielding coach prematurely in the middle of a series? If their performance is not satisfactory, they would've given a strict appraisal. Did BCCI have a plan for the succession at the time of sacking.? Now whom to blame if the burden for Gary is increased and team performance is hurting due to no bowing and fielding coaches

javagal srinath as bowling coach???
Absolutely not. I'm not in favor of any Indian taking up this job..not because they are in way inferior to the foreign coaches but I believe our team has a few specific needs which people from countries with "strong fast-bowling culture" can deliver better. As we all know Prasad and Donald completed the same coaching course (level 3 iirc) around about the same time. So obviously as far as knowledge goes they are pretty much at the same level. What makes them different is the background from which they come..someone like Prasad or Prabhakar will obviously be better suited for a country(team) with a strong pace bowling culture(Aus,SA etc) existing but in needs improvement in other areas like seam position, reverse swing etc..(not that Donald won't be able to cater to such teams but someone like Prasad,Prabhakar will be able to do the job better). Simialrly for a country like India which doesn't have a good enough pace bowling culture the main area that needs to be concentrated on is the training programs and improving their overall bowling fitness. If you would have noticed most of our bowlers (newbies included) have excellent seam positions and Mickey Arthur had commented that almost all Indian seamers bowl reverse swing(in 10 point document to defeat Ind in Ind). So what we actually need is a person from a strng fast bowling back ground so that he can share some the fitness routines and regimes with our bowlers. And yes he can't be totally uncertified...needs to have some coaching experience. So yeah big name or not...I believe we need a person who can address issues specific to or case else we will continue to be one step behind every other test playing nation(barring NZ perhaps?) in seam bowling department (i'm sure most of you guys have had this feeling once atleast). I remember a few posters here claiming that we outbowled Eng when we toured them in 07. And thereby Donald ,who was working with Eng bowlers at the time, was inferior to our own Prasad. Well they correct...and this reiterates what I was saying above. But look where RP Singh is now? How many times has ZAK got injured (or become unfit) and has had to sit out of series., Sreesanth. The story is the same with every other Indian pacer. Hits good form..does well for a couple of series, gets injured goes back to NCA. In the meantime look where the guys from Eng team are..Broad is upposedly ranked #7 in the world (:giggle:)..anyway the point is these guys are able to maintain their form for a long period and injuries do not occur to them every 6 months or so. Edit; I don't know how the post got so long...but guys please give your opinion.
Absolutely not. I'm not in favor of any Indian taking up this job..not because they are in way inferior to the foreign coaches but I believe our team has a few specific needs which people from countries with "strong fast-bowling culture" can deliver better. As we all know Prasad and Donald completed the same coaching course (level 3 iirc) around about the same time. So obviously as far as knowledge goes they are pretty much at the same level. What makes them different is the background from which they come..someone like Prasad or Prabhakar will obviously be better suited for a country(team) with a strong pace bowling culture(Aus,SA etc) existing but in needs improvement in other areas like seam position, reverse swing etc..(not that Donald won't be able to cater to such teams but someone like Prasad,Prabhakar will be able to do the job better). Simialrly for a country like India which doesn't have a good enough pace bowling culture the main area that needs to be concentrated on is the training programs and improving their overall bowling fitness. If you would have noticed most of our bowlers (newbies included) have excellent seam positions and Mickey Arthur had commented that almost all Indian seamers bowl reverse swing(in 10 point document to defeat Ind in Ind). So what we actually need is a person from a strng fast bowling back ground so that he can share some the fitness routines and regimes with our bowlers. And yes he can't be totally uncertified...needs to have some coaching experience. So yeah big name or not...I believe we need a person who can address issues specific to or case else we will continue to be one step behind every other test playing nation(barring NZ perhaps?) in seam bowling department (i'm sure most of you guys have had this feeling once atleast). I remember a few posters here claiming that we outbowled Eng when we toured them in 07. And thereby Donald ,who was working with Eng bowlers at the time, was inferior to our own Prasad. Well they correct...and this reiterates what I was saying above. But look where RP Singh is now? How many times has ZAK got injured (or become unfit) and has had to sit out of series., Sreesanth. The story is the same with every other Indian pacer. Hits good form..does well for a couple of series, gets injured goes back to NCA. In the meantime look where the guys from Eng team are..Broad is upposedly ranked #7 in the world (:giggle:)..anyway the point is these guys are able to maintain their form for a long period and injuries do not occur to them every 6 months or so. Edit; I don't know how the post got so long...but guys please give your opinion.
I agree with a lot of this but I don't think we need a bowling coach specifically for fitness. That should be the job of all the coaches and not just the bowling coach. Instead of just picking some guy based on his career like Alan Donald I would prefer a bowling coach who fits in with the type of bowlers we have and that's specifically coaches who have a good background in bringing on younger bowlers. Our seniors like Khan/Nehra are the best they're going to be. What's required is for a bowling coach to take younger bowlers and turn them into the finished product.

Ultimately, it's up to the player though. As much as I dislike Stuard Broad, one of the things you have to appreciate about his approach is that he takes his bowling seriously. He would rather opt out of the IPL than damage his preparations and form. Our younger bowlers have all been given chance after chance and at some point you have to look at the bowler and say that if they're not performing then it's simply down to the player not being focused enough. I guess working hard on improving your bowling/fitness isn't as exciting as showing up for bollywood dance shows, and other show business crap.

So - taking a step back. What are the objectives of a bowling coach: 1. Focus on strengths / weakness areas of individual bowlers. 2. Analyze match performances and provide feedback. 3. Provide coach/captain with input over individual bowling form. .... .... How about a guy like Balwinder Sandhu, who has been or is a head coach of a Ranji team. Someone like him would have the right balance and perspective that Kirsten and Dhoni would be looking for.

Objective of the coach is to create bowlers who improve their wicket taking ability. You need bowlers who constantly work out plans to get rid of batsmen not just put the ball. We have never had a bowler whose strike rate is below 50. We don't need maidens. We don't need to worry about ER in Tests. We need wickets. I don't know how the coach is going to do. This is what we want eventually. I don't care if he is completely unfit and can still do it.