Abhimanyu Mithun : Top Wicket Taker 2009/10 RANJI SEASON

Feed

Dravid sees a star-in-making in Mithun It took former India captain Rahul Dravid barely 10 minutes to assess Abhimanyu Mithun's ability in a practice match. More... Friday 8th January 2010 Dravid sees a star-in-making in Mithun It took former India captain Rahul Dravid barely 10 minutes to assess Abhimanyu Mithun's ability in a practice match. During a practice match, Dravid was left hopping around at the crease by the strapping pacer. Since making an outstanding first class debut against Uttar Pradesh at Meerut, where he had 11 scalps, including a hat-trick, the 21-year-old has put the fear in the batsmen's heart and captured the imagination of the connoisseur. Dravid could miss Ranji final An "exciting" pacer, Mithun has the wherewithal to cover a long distance and shine in the highest level one day, feels Dravid. "He has done really well in his first season. He has the qualities of making an exciting fast bowler," Dravid told PTI. "He has a lot going his way. He has good work ethics. He is quick, bowls a good line and length and has good variation. He keeps the ball in the right areas. If he keeps working and improving, he should surely have a great future," Dravid added. Dravid, however, refrained from comparing Mithun with former India speedster Javagal Srinath, who emerged out of nowhere and stunned the cricket world with his searing pace and bounce in the 90s. "It being his first season, it is unfair to compare him with Srinath. But he is definitely quick. It is early days for him. He has a long way to go. With proper guidance he should be a great fast bowler to watch," Dravid observed. In eight Ranji outings, six on docile tracks, Mithun has bagged 38 wickets, and is now the second highest wicket-taker of the season, barely one stick behind statemate R Vinay Kumar (39 from seven matches). It is his sizzling pace, accurate line and length as well as the variations that has won him accolades from senior pros. Even on a benign deck at the Chinnaswamy Stadium, Mithun (4/51) made the Uttar Pradesh batsmen quake in their boots. Rattled by his hostile pace, disconcerting bounce and nagging line and length, Uttar Pradesh, who have conceded 15 wickets to Mithun in two games, protested against him for chucking. However, the on-field umpires K K Hariharan and Sanjay Hazare overruled the allegation. Mithun has already made a huge impact on the domestic circuit, gaining rave reviews from former greats, including Chandu Borde, who has the distinction of scoring two hundreds against the fearsome West Indian pace duo of Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith. As grapevine goes, selection committee chairman Krishnamachari Srikkanth had explored the possibility of including him into the team for the two-match Test series against Bangladesh, but was advised to watch the speedy during the Duleep Trophy matches before taking the call. Mithun, however, was not ready to think about anything but the forthcoming Ranji Trophy final against Mumbai, commencing in Mysore from January 11. "I want Karnataka to win the title first. Then my focus would be on doing well in the Duleep Trophy," Mithun said. "I will surely work hard and strive to make India proud when I get picked for the national team," Mithun signed off with the promise.

It took former India captain Rahul Dravid barely 10 minutes to assess Abhimanyu Mithun's ability in a practice match. More... Friday 8th January 2010 Dravid sees a star-in-making in Mithun It took former India captain Rahul Dravid barely 10 minutes to assess Abhimanyu Mithun's ability in a practice match. During a practice match, Dravid was left hopping around at the crease by the strapping pacer. Since making an outstanding first class debut against Uttar Pradesh at Meerut, where he had 11 scalps, including a hat-trick, the 21-year-old has put the fear in the batsmen's heart and captured the imagination of the connoisseur. Dravid could miss Ranji final An "exciting" pacer, Mithun has the wherewithal to cover a long distance and shine in the highest level one day, feels Dravid. "He has done really well in his first season. He has the qualities of making an exciting fast bowler," Dravid told PTI. "He has a lot going his way. He has good work ethics. He is quick, bowls a good line and length and has good variation. He keeps the ball in the right areas. If he keeps working and improving, he should surely have a great future," Dravid added. Dravid, however, refrained from comparing Mithun with former India speedster Javagal Srinath, who emerged out of nowhere and stunned the cricket world with his searing pace and bounce in the 90s. "It being his first season, it is unfair to compare him with Srinath. But he is definitely quick. It is early days for him. He has a long way to go. With proper guidance he should be a great fast bowler to watch," Dravid observed. In eight Ranji outings, six on docile tracks, Mithun has bagged 38 wickets, and is now the second highest wicket-taker of the season, barely one stick behind statemate R Vinay Kumar (39 from seven matches). It is his sizzling pace, accurate line and length as well as the variations that has won him accolades from senior pros. Even on a benign deck at the Chinnaswamy Stadium, Mithun (4/51) made the Uttar Pradesh batsmen quake in their boots. Rattled by his hostile pace, disconcerting bounce and nagging line and length, Uttar Pradesh, who have conceded 15 wickets to Mithun in two games, protested against him for chucking. However, the on-field umpires K K Hariharan and Sanjay Hazare overruled the allegation. Mithun has already made a huge impact on the domestic circuit, gaining rave reviews from former greats, including Chandu Borde, who has the distinction of scoring two hundreds against the fearsome West Indian pace duo of Wes Hall and Charlie Griffith. As grapevine goes, selection committee chairman Krishnamachari Srikkanth had explored the possibility of including him into the team for the two-match Test series against Bangladesh, but was advised to watch the speedy during the Duleep Trophy matches before taking the call. Mithun, however, was not ready to think about anything but the forthcoming Ranji Trophy final against Mumbai, commencing in Mysore from January 11. "I want Karnataka to win the title first. Then my focus would be on doing well in the Duleep Trophy," Mithun said. "I will surely work hard and strive to make India proud when I get picked for the national team," Mithun signed off with the promise.
Oh..Is he another chucker ? :omg: :omg:

Can't wait to see this guy live in action during the Ranji finals. Tyagi had a similar hype around him 2 seasons ago and he is in team india now depsite missing most of the cricket played in 08-09. Hopefully Mithun will go a step further and get into team India after some impressive performances in ranji finals and then in the duleep trophy. On the chucking allegations, the little I saw of him for BRC in one match, didn't suggest that he was anywhere near to being a chucker. Unless there has been a change in his action, I will read UP's complaints as sour grapes.

135-140 made dravid "hop about" ? ...bloody journos and their sensationalizing.. Its like how munaf struck Steve Waugh on his helmet during a session at MRF before he burst into the scene
135-140 is not express' date=' nehra, zaheer, Sree,ishant, tyagi, dinda all bowls in this range. we need 145 bowler[/quote'] dont get obsessed about pace in everything .. we need a good consistent bowler with pace to try some variations like hurrying a batsmen with bouncers , and importantly bowl to fields .. he opeartes in 135-140 on an average .. he can go 145+ in effort balls .. but again i dont mind if he does not .. we will get an idea in finals and duleep trophy ..
135-140 is not express' date=' nehra, zaheer, Sree,ishant, tyagi, dinda all bowls in this range. we need 145 bowler[/quote'] Lets admit that India cannot produce a 145+ bowler and move on. I'd prefer a bowler who bowls 135 km/h consistently and has good control and variations than a wayward bowler who bowls 145+ km/h. After all greatest pacer of this decade is 130km/h bowler.

Pace is pace, no one can overlook a genuine quickie if in the team. Look at Mitchell Johnson, he is no where near consistent but bowling at 145 he was the highest wicket taker last year in tests. His inconsistency and awkwardness also give him wickets. Pace does matter now days where bowlers mainly bowl on good batting wickets.

We will wait and watch' date=' I would also like Abu Nechim Ahmed to be given chances for India A.[/quote']
Pace is pace' date=' no one can overlook a genuine quickie if in the team. Look at Mitchell Johnson, he is no where near consistent but bowling at 145 he was the highest wicket taker last year in tests. His inconsistency and awkwardness also give him wickets. Pace does matter now days where bowlers mainly bowl on good batting wickets.[/quote'] I agree with you totally RKT,we lack an out and out quickie,will love to see an Indian bowler making batsmen hope around:pray:
rkt. you have to take a look at the guy mate. There is really something special about this guy.
RR where did you see him?

I'll wait to see him in action a few times before deciding to get excited over him or not. A promising pacer bowling at brisk pace is not something entirely new to us, there has been the likes of Munaf, VRV.. Look where they have ended up now..

I'll wait to see him in action a few times before deciding to get excited over him or not. A promising pacer bowling at brisk pace is not something entirely new to us, there has been the likes of Munaf, VRV.. Look where they have ended up now..
BTW what happened to VRV? Is he injured? He didn't play in any Ranji matches for Punjab. He played very well in last year duleep trophy and even got a 10for. EDIT: he played his last FC in 2008 duleep trophy according to cricinfo which means he hasn't played an FC for last 2 years?
BTW what happened to VRV? Is he injured? He didn't play in any Ranji matches for Punjab. He played very well in last year duleep trophy and even got a 10for. EDIT: he played his last FC in 2008 duleep trophy according to cricinfo which means he hasn't played an FC for last 2 years?
No idea.