IPL made fun of Pakistan by snubbing us: Afridi

Block hole

Karachi: Pakistani cricketers, who were ignored by the Indian Premier League franchises in Tuesday’s auction, have reacted angrily to the snub with Twenty20 captain Shahid Afridi saying that the IPL’s attitude was disappointing. Afridi, who was supposed to be the main attraction for franchises at the IPL auction in Mumbai, said from Brisbane he was disappointed and upset with the way things panned out. “The way I see it, the IPL and India have made fun of us and our country by treating us this way,” Afridi said. “We are the Twenty20 World Champions and for me the attitude of the franchises was disappointing. I feel bad for the Indian people who I am sure wanted to see us play in the IPL this year,” Afridi said. Afridi was the first player to be put on auction with a base price of USD 250,000 but no franchise was interested in buying him. Franchises preferred West Indian, South African and Australian players while ignoring the 11 Pakistani players who were available in the auction for sale. The franchises said Pakistani players’ availability was not certain and they couldn’t risk their money on them. Afridi was among the batch of Pakistani players who played in the first IPL season for Deccan Chargers. Senior all-rounder Abdul Razzaq, who was also among the players in the auction, said he saw the snub to Pakistani players as a joint strategy between the IPL and Indian government to insult Pakistan players. “They have basically tried to hurt our cricket and image and this is most disappointing because I believe there should be no politics in sports,” Razzaq said. He also questioned the inclusion of Pakistani players in the auction list if the franchises were not interested. “In the end it is the IPL which has lost out because the fact is our players have star value and are the best in T20 cricket,” he added. All-rounder Sohail Tanvir, who was the best bowler of the inaugural IPL season and played a big role in helping Rajasthan Royals win the title, said he felt humiliated and angry with what transpired at the auction. “They mean to say none of our players are good enough to be in the IPL. I am sorry to say the franchises have taken a decision not based on cricketing sense but on political grounds which is a shame and has hurt the image of the sport,” Tanvir said. He pointed out that if the IPL and franchises had reservations over having Pakistani players they should have made it clear beforehand. “Why create all this fuss about visa requirements and government clearances. If they don’t want us they should be clear about it in the first place,” Tanvir said. “We sent names because we thought the franchises wanted us but if it is all about politics and security they should be clear about it,” Tanvir said. And it’s not just the players who are feeling hurt, Pakistan’s minister for sports Ejaz Jakhrani said he was surprise over the way Pakistani players had been snubbed. “I am surprised and disappointed at the way we have been treated. It is not a good sign for improving and enhancing sporting ties between the two countries,” Jakhrani said. “We gave them security clearance as well so it was surprising the way they were snubbed at the auction because they are the best in the world in Twenty20 cricket,” he added. Jakhrani said he would also ask the PCB to explain why the players were treated in this way even though the government had given required clearances to the players. PCB chairman Ejaz Butt, however, said he was not bothered by the snub given to Pakistani players. “It really does not bother us what difference does it make to us if our players don’t play in the IPL this season. They didn’t play in the last season as well,” Butt said. The PCB Chairman said the responsibility of the board was to clear the road for Pakistani players to make themselves available for the IPL and it had done that. “We got the required clearances from our government. But after that we can’t interfere in anybody’s work so what we say,” Butt added. But former Pakistan captain, Rameez Raja was more vocal in his take on the auction. “I think the IPL and the Indian government have lost a golden opportunity to help improve ties between the two countries,” the former captain told reporters. “I really do believe there were political reasons behind the way our players were snubbed at the auction and it is most unfortunate,” he said. Former Test leg-spinner Abdul Qadir said it is time the PCB organised its own league. “If need arises we should hold this league even at a neutral venue and try to invite as many Indian players as possible to give out a clear message we don’t mix sports with politics,” he said. Former Test captain Zaheer Abbas said the Pakistani players must realise that IPL is a private league. “The fact is the IPL is a private enterprise and if their franchises are not willing to take our players what can anyone do. But there is no doubt that our players and Pakistan cricket have been humiliated and insulted at such a big forum in a planned manner,” he stated. Zaheer, however, said if the Pakistan board felt the Indians had done wrong then they should announce a complete boycott of ties with India. “Our players and officials should also not go to India for any reason. But if we want a betterment of ties with India then we should just keep quiet,” he said. :hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Bechaarain ro rahien hain ....

Keeping all the politics aside and then think. Afridi has a point. There was no need to humiliate them like this. If IPL didnt want any Pakistani players then they shouldnt have asked for visas and govt clearance. Thats not the way you treat sportsperson from other countries. Including them and then not even bidding for one player seems strange. Even Damien Martyn who is 38 years old got the contract. Bond, Pollard, Eoin Morgan are good picks though.

Keeping all the politics aside and then think. Afridi has a point. There was no need to humiliate them like this. If IPL didnt want any Pakistani players then they shouldnt have asked for visas and govt clearance. Thats not the way you treat sportsperson from other countries. Including them and then not even bidding for one player seems strange. Even Damien Martyn who is 38 years old got the contract. Bond, Pollard, Eoin Morgan are good picks though.
You mean IPL should have sent ultimatum to each team stating that they have to compulsorily bid for the Pakistani players?

so now you expect that all the 50 other unsold players should go and sue IPL for not selecting them. So I expect Canada, Netherlands,Bandadesh etc all to do same. Yet all I hear is these pakistani players If they are champions of last year cup, that does not mean they should be the 'stars' of every tournament.

You mean IPL should have sent ultimatum to each team stating that they have to compulsorily bid for the Pakistani players?
No but the only reason Pakistani players were in the auction was because some of the teams had shown interest in them. There has to be some other reasons than just nobody wanted them. When you see people like Kaif and Martyn getting contracts, something is off