Forgotten Players : Back to the future for Irfan Pathan?

Feed

First 10 overs and last 10 overs are where we loes most of the matches. Even Zaheer is not that good. And also there is no harm in sitting Zak out from meaningless ODI series prior to world cup. He is our premiere Test match bowler. India should take a gamble on Irfan. Give him the new ball and 3 matches and see how it goes. Irfan is a competitive player.
The way I see it, the BCCI/Indian team/Kirsten need to have a plan for the ODI world cup where they have guys like Pathan/Sree/Nehra ready to go and at peak fitness and form at that time. If it means sacrificing a few ODI series here and there then no big deal.
When Irfan has in the past just concentrated on his swing then he's been a decent bowler for us. It's only when he gets in T20 mode and starts bowling like that in ODI cricket that trouble starts.
To be honest I have never rated Pathan a whole lot, his success against Pakistan and Australia not withstanding. I am not one for the pace but I am also not one for a monotonous bowler. Pathan became a one track pony with his stock delivery coming in to a right hander. There was very little variations, no use of crease(much), no sharp bouncers, no late swingers and very rarely using proper yorkers. All of which made him fairly easy to read for an experienced batsmen. Pathan's swing is his biggest virtue, he should concentrate on that and add a few more variations. I think right now he is far too predictable.

One of the problem with Indian bowlers is sadly they are the worst fielders as well. With no real batting talent to boot they get into the side with just one skill which is bowling. We are not talking about Shaun Pollock, Glenn Mcgrath here. Their ODI bowling is also ordinary. India has to decide whether they go in with 4 genuine bowlers who are not good in other 2 departments or bits and pieces players. For instance India's 4th and 5th bowling option can be shared by Nayar, Irfan, Yuvraj, Sehwag. On his day Irfan can bowl 10 overs. Bhajji, Zak, Ishant or RP for ODIs. This way 1) Sachin 2) Gambhir 3) Sehwag 4) Yuvraj 5)Raina 6) Dhoni 7) A Nayar 8) Irfan 9) Bhajji 10) Zaheer 11) Ishant 12) R Jadeja

One of the problem with Indian bowlers is sadly they are the worst fielders as well. With no real batting talent to boot they get into the side with just one skill which is bowling. We are not talking about Shaun Pollock, Glenn Mcgrath here. Their ODI bowling is also ordinary. India has to decide whether they go in with 4 genuine bowlers who are not good in other 2 departments or bits and pieces players. For instance India's 4th and 5th bowling option can be shared by Nayar, Irfan, Yuvraj, Sehwag. On his day Irfan can bowl 10 overs. Bhajji, Zak, Ishant or RP for ODIs. This way 1) Sachin 2) Gambhir 3) Sehwag 4) Yuvraj 5)Raina 6) Dhoni 7) A Nayar 8) Irfan 9) Bhajji 10) Zaheer 11) Ishant 12) R Jadeja
but you have removed kohli altogether. hows this gg sachin kohli dhoni uv sehwag raina bhajji zaheer mishra/sreesanth/irfan ishanth disadvantage: if uv and sehwag are thrashed... then our 5 th bowling options are ****ed up advantage: kohli
Youre sick :headshake: Irfan is soo soo sooo off these days.. per it wont take long when we will have our own purana Irfan baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaacK ! :yay: I hope he has a nice IPL season :nervous: :pray:
Stop being sarcastic :fail: He's had a good season but he needs to up his pace by atleast 10ks if he wants to come back coz PK is turning into another moped of Irfan's speed and he can bat decently and in a few series, he might start batting like him too, which means Irfan's hope of a comeback is as good as gone. He'll be back I believe. And I seriously hope he bowls at the pace he did in his debut tour of Australia
Stop being sarcastic :fail: He's had a good season but he needs to up his pace by atleast 10ks if he wants to come back coz PK is turning into another moped of Irfan's speed and he can bat decently and in a few series, he might start batting like him too, which means Irfan's hope of a comeback is as good as gone. He'll be back I believe. And I seriously hope he bowls at the pace he did in his debut tour of Australia
Yes he needs to work on his pace, and not try too much of Cutters, slower balls. He sud develop a gud bouncer and gud yorker. Our bowlers seriously miss dis art.
Yes he needs to work on his pace' date=' and not try too much of Cutters, slower balls. He sud develop a gud bouncer and gud yorker. Our bowlers seriously miss dis art.[/quote'] Yes, fellow Andy. I played a match last Sunday with someone bowling the kind of pace Irfan does and I felt I had an eternity to smack the ball away. Irfan's pace is what I call pappu pace. He really needs to up his game and fast coz PK is just waiting to make the kill
Irfan generally ups his speed a bit in the international. India has so many left arm pacers. They are all more or less same speed. Speedwise if i rank India's left arm pace bowlers 1) Zaheer khan 2) Nehra 3) RP Singh 4) Unadkar 5) Sangwan 6) Pathan 7) Netravalkar
I would rate Nehra higher than Zak, atleast in ODIs coz in the past 2 series, he's been the fastest Indian bowler :--D. And c'mon, Irfan is faster than Sangwan. Don't insult Irfu :giggle:
He's had a good season but he needs to up his pace by atleast 10ks if he wants to come back coz PK is turning into another moped of Irfan's speed and he can bat decently and in a few series, he might start batting like him too, which means Irfan's hope of a comeback is as good as gone. He'll be back I believe. And I seriously hope he bowls at the pace he did in his debut tour of Australia
Stop PKing ! We dont want PK :(( I know we want autrailia wala Iffu !:icflove: Aaaatank tha !:two_thumbs_up:
Irfan generally ups his speed a bit in the international. India has so many left arm pacers. They are all more or less same speed. Speedwise if i rank India's left arm pace bowlers 1) Zaheer khan 2) Nehra 3) RP Singh 4) Unadkar 5) Sangwan 6) Pathan 7) Netravalkar
lol..Unadkat !..thats a left arm version of Sreesanth with all the fake aggression and all !..the entire package!.... You'd rate that pretender over a few performances on seaming newzealand pitches .. over Irfan Pathan who is a proper batsman too?
lol..Unadkat !..thats a left arm version of Sreesanth with all the fake aggression and all !..the entire package!.... You'd rate that pretender over a few performances on seaming newzealand pitches .. over Irfan Pathan who is a proper batsman too?
its not the ratings. ots the order of pace they bowl at
its not the ratings. ots the order of pace they bowl at
:haha: oh my! So Irfan isn't favoured because he bowls at a slower pace ? (I am not using 'slow') Check the discussion here.. http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=206395 As for all those U-19s listed - Netravalkar and Unadkat - they bowled on fast pitches... No real gauge of their real operating speed..for all you know these can be yet another series of 130kmph line and length bowlers once they settle down.
:haha: oh my! So Irfan isn't favoured because he bowls at a slower pace ? (I am not using 'slow') Check the discussion here.. http://www.indiancricketfans.com/showthread.php?t=206395 As for all those U-19s listed - Netravalkar and Unadkat - they bowled on fast pitches... No real gauge of their real operating speed..for all you know these can be yet another series of 130kmph line and length bowlers once they settle down.
Irfan can get upto 135 with his action. His action is not free flowing. He hardly has a follow through. Netravalkar is slow even there. He was only clocking 130k there.