Sehwag proves once again: Batting Strike rate matters a heck in tests.

patriot

How meaningless the above stat can be is illustrated below: Out of 2 matches, "A" scores a crushing 170+ in match 1, I1, a 38 and 45 in I1 and I2 of match 2. "B" scores 105 in match 1 , I1, and 67 and 23 in I1 and I2 of match 2. By your logic B is more consistent - and it appears so as he has 50+ scores in both the matches. But I would rather have 2 A's in my side than 2 B's. -
So would I because A averages 84+ and B averages 65. :laugh:
Waugh better than Tendulkar Lara better than Tendulkar Dravid better than Tendulkar Ponting better than Tendulkar Sehwag better than Tendulkar Notice the common thread there? That should settle all debates.
Just like SRK fans think him to be the benchmark for all superstardom and being the " badshah " of Bollywood. He also has a huge set of followers who think he is the perennial and all time numero uno. He has done more films and delivers more hits therefore. His fans also credit him for carrying a crappy story line and film single handedly and praise his performance in a flop film ( read Sachin in India loss ) But then there is Aamir, fewer fims, therefore fewer hits, but far far many more roof smashing hits. ( read Sehwag) One will be remembered for more films and record hits. ( read SRT/SRK ) The other for his record blockbusters. ( read Aamir/Viru) . I admire SRK (SRT) , for his longetevity and passion, but I know Aamir( Viru) is the better entertainer and greater actor. :cantstop: :--D
I admire SRK (SRT) , for his longetevity and passion, but I know Aamir( Viru) is the better entertainer and greater actor. :cantstop: :--D
If you want to compare star power, you have yourself admitted Aamir Khan is not a patch on Shah Rukh Khan. If you want to compare acting skills, then you should be comparing Aamir Khan with the likes of Om Puri, Naseeruddin Shah, and Irfan Khan. :giggle:
How meaningless the above stat can be is illustrated below: Out of 2 matches, "A" scores a crushing 170+ in match 1, I1, a 38 and 45 in I1 and I2 of match 2. "B" scores 105 in match 1 , I1, and 67 and 23 in I1 and I2 of match 2. By your logic B is more consistent - and it appears so as he has 50+ scores in both the matches. But I would rather have 2 A's in my side than 2 B's. -
The stat would have been meaningless as you say if Sehwag had been averaging higher than Tendulkar but you know that is not the case. In fact, what is surprising is the difference in averages when both the players sccore over 50 is much lesser than you would expect (131.10 for VS and 127.21 for SRT) considering Sehwag's tendency to score big when he gets going.
The stat would have been meaningless as you say if Sehwag had been averaging higher than Tendulkar but you know that is not the case. In fact' date=' what is surprising is the difference in averages when both the players sccore over 50 is much lesser than you would expect (131.10 for VS and 127.21 for SRT) considering Sehwag's tendency to score big when he gets going.[/quote'] Because Sehwag is an opener and SRT a middle order batter I would rather look at runs/innings, because SRT will obviously have more not outs than an opener. SRT runs/ innings = 49.62. Veeru runs/innings = 51.47. You know what is not surprising ? take out Bangros from SRT's tally and his Runs/innings decreases by almost 2 points !
Sehwag's value to this side, to its performances, to SRT even, can be debated ad nauseum. However, old timers like me remember moaning ceaselessly about SRT having to come in routinely at 20 for 2 and having to face a barrage of deadly accurate stuff from the likes of McGrath afer time honoured openers like MSK Prasad had beaten a retreat. The Indian side was a shambles, SRT the lonely warrior, and Dravid and Laxman were very good batsmen who'd pull of the occasional Calcutta. It was really, really frustrating. Would we ever have a world class opener post Sunny? July 25 2002. That was the day Sehwag opened for the first time. In less than 8 years, he has grossed more runs than all other openers combined in the 13 years preceding him, since Sachin's debut. In those <8 years, he has partnered more runs as an opener than all other openers combined in those preceding 13 years when Sachin routinely had to listen to the music of the red cherry. Sehwag averages 55 as an opener @ 81 per 100 deliveries. His average opening partnership tallies 54 for India. In the 13 years post Sachin's debut, pre-Sehwag, Indian openers averaged 34- at half that scoring rate. How much less might Sachin have averaged, if he was still walking out at 20 for 2? Wait- don't answer that. Let me flip this for you- how much more might he have averaged in the pre Sehwag wilderness of Indian cricket if he routinely didn't have to walk in at 20 for 2? Answer both questions please. How much value do you put on a champion opener? What's his worth to the side? To numbers 3,4, & 5? One final point, Boss. We have demonstrated many times statistically between the two of us how India's quick bowlers have contributed to her changing fortunes in the last decade. Yet, pre-Sehwag, as you pointed out, there have been very few 500s scored against India, while since he started there have been many more. You don't attribute the anomaly to our bowling strength pre-Sehwag, do you? No, it is because teams dare not declare at 450 for 6 like they used to pre-2001. They know there's one man in the opposition who could overhaul that total in just over a day's play, if he got going. Hence the plethora of 500 and 600s by the opposition since Sehwag started. He influences the way sides play cricket, Sehwag does, and not just his own side either.
Brilliant write up Dhondy. Sehwag recently mentioned about how he would probably do even better as a middle order batter, do you think he should swap test batting positions with SRT. Do you think SRT would agree to open against the red cherry ? :--D. His fan brigade don't stop crying foul about how he has to face a newish ball with the team at 20/2 - I don't think they would appreciate him facing the brand new red cherry :hysterical:
Thank you for derailing another thread guys. ******ing idiots.
You are a veteren, Sir. Did you expect anything better from the SRT fan brigade, than silly emotional diatribes and personal abuse against any critique of any sort ? :((
Thank you for derailing another thread guys. ******ing idiots.
Derailing? The thread was never on any rail right from the OP. And anyways, all legitimate posts trying to reason about it being a team with different people in different roles, the paucity of Sehwag's efforts being in matches won, strike rate being a double edged sword for a team with a weak bowling attack etc. have been left unanswered. There has hardly been any meaningful and honest discussion going on this thread, right from the start.
Because Sehwag is an opener and SRT a middle order batter I would rather look at runs/innings, because SRT will obviously have more not outs than an opener. SRT runs/ innings = 49.62. Veeru runs/innings = 51.47. You know what is not surprising ? take out Bangros from SRT's tally and his Runs/innings decreases by almost 2 points !
Why take them out. Sehawg just played against them. Its Bangladesh, they were handing out free runs, why didn't he take them?

Dhondy's shifted his goal posts spectacularly. A few years back he used to berate SRT for '*****ing bricks' :giggle: in the 3rd and 4th innings and praise his then favourite Rahul Dravid for batting well in those two innings. Now that his current favourite Virender Sehwag is a dead duck in the 3rd and 4th innings and SRT has become a colossus in these two innings, he prefers to look at the 1st and 2nd innings. :giggle: No takers for SCG > VS outside Asia? :giggle: :potstir:

Because Sehwag is an opener and SRT a middle order batter I would rather look at runs/innings, because SRT will obviously have more not outs than an opener. SRT runs/ innings = 49.62. Veeru runs/innings = 51.47. You know what is not surprising ? take out Bangros from SRT's tally and his Runs/innings decreases by almost 2 points !
You're going off topic here as you know/have realized that SRT is a more consistent performer than Sehwag. The 50 or more runs in at least one inning of a match is pretty good way to measure their consistencies as both players average 50+ and to do justice to the average a player should more often than not get his average score. I always held Sehwag's biggest drawback as being his inconsistency - getting a good score in one out of every 3 matches - and as it comes at the top of the order it does put the middle order under pressure more times than not. Of course, he is still the best opener we have had in 2 decades but that is a reflection of how poor our opening batsmen stock has been.
Dhondy's shifted his goal posts spectacularly. A few years back he used to berate SRT for '*****ing bricks' :giggle: in the 3rd and 4th innings and praise his then favourite Rahul Dravid for batting well in those two innings. Now that his current favourite Virender Sehwag is a dead duck in the 3rd and 4th innings and SRT has become a colossus in these two innings' date= he prefers to look at the 1st and 2nd innings. :giggle
Avg of 36 in the 4th innings, makes SRT a colossus ? :hmmm::hysterical:. Interesting comical delusions. In any case, most matches are won in the 1st ( and 2nd ) innings , which is why Sehwag is probably the greatest match winning batter of all time, Avg + strike rate in setting up a victory unprecedented and unparalleled.
No takers for SCG > VS outside Asia? :giggle: :potstir:
You either feel ashamed and guilty of winning in Asia and India or think that these are lesser places to win. Surely - you must not think too highly of the current win too. And you probably should also not think much about us being NO.1 , after all we have lost soundly in RSA, never won a series in Aus. And if that's the case and that Asia is such a cake walk - why did the rest of our batters surrender so tamely in Lanka's den against Murali/ Mendis company in the 2000's . Did anyone else even make a ton in Lanka for so many years ? And before that 2004 tour to Pak, how many Indian batters molested the Pak phasssssst bowlers in their own den ? ...and made a habit of it ? Try harder next time.:winky: