Sachin's retirement

c_vikas2000

What is India's Tests schedule and ODIs before 2011 world cup? Why, I am asking to understand how many matches Sachin has to play before world cup. It's difficult to say what's running in Sachin's mind at the moment. As he is close to 100 international centuries, definitely it would have back in his mind. He was very unfortunate to get out in 90s(3 times on 99) in year 2008....otherwise by now he must have completed those... Personally, I feel he must retired from ODIs after 2011 world cup. It's his luck, if he is not able to complete 50 ODIs hundrads by then. But, he must continue playing in tests even after 2011 worldcup and continue till next 3-4 years or whenever he feels that his reflexes are running away from him, which ever comes earlier...but during this time, he must be able to complete 100 international centuries.... even if he is not able to complete it, I think Indian fans must accept is gracefully(though it tough) afterall Bradman also struck 99.96 test batting average and Jack Hobbs struck on 199 First Class centuries Also, as an Indian fan, I would hate to see Ponting taking over Sachin's records in either form of the cricket...But, I am sure , he will play until Ashes 2013 as he still have an unfinished task to do or once he loose captaincy, he will be retired...But chances for Ponting to take over Sachin is good as Australia is scheduled to play as many 10 tests matches before world cup... any comments from you all, when he should get retired?

Sachin is addicted to cricket and it will take some doing from his side to leave cricket. He wants to play cricket, its his life. Just a few years back, he was hit with injury and lost his form for some time and all the critics wanted him to retire gracefully. What does he do? He tries to get back to form by playing cricket, playing every little match he could get his hands on like the exhibition matches in England to try and get his confidence back. And look at him now, he playing some of his best cricket now. So it will just depend on when he wants to call its quits. When he does retire, a lot of his fans and even critics will miss him dearly. Enjoy while its lasts. :regular_smile:

If he manages his workload and gradually phases out his ODI participation (which might well culminate with the 2011 WC), there's no reason why Sachin cannot bat till he's 41, 42. Now, whether he wants to bat for that long is an entirely different matter altogether. He's looking fitter than ever, batting better than ever and more importantly, winning more than ever. As Sachdan pointed in the other thread, he has now scored a 100 in each of his last 6 test match series and 4 of them have been 2 test affairs. That is a distinct throwback to the 90s' when hardly any series in which we played in went without a Sach 100. The only difference was that back then, we did not win so much. Now, we hardly lose anything. So, from a personal standpoint. Sach must be feeling great. He is no more burdened with the stresses and strains of captaincy, something that had negative impact on his batting. He's also no longer the single cynosure of all eyes, like it was during the 90s. He is not playing as much cricket as he was before, skipping international T20 altogether and selectively taking part in ODI tournaments. The chronic tennis elbow that was haunting during the 2004-2006 period seems to have subsided. No wonder that he had his most prolific test series nearly 18 years after his international debut. So from now, its a question of managing his workload and looking after his body. If he can do that and has the motivation and drive to stay in the game, he's set to warm the hearts of millions of his fans for another 4-5 years, at a minimum.

ODIs, I think pretty much all can agree will be WC '11. Tests, I would say the whoever we play in Spring '12 at home. By then he would have a final crack in Australia, South Africa, and West Indies - the countries where he is yet to win a series in. India have 9 more tests till the WC and another 17-18 after that in the following year. I think that will be Tendulkar signing off - hopefully BCCI will schedule his last test at Bombay.

Very premature......................
:dito: but I think a lot will depend on how we fare at the WC. If it's something like the 2007 debacle,(anyway it's highly unlikely to happen since we are playing under sub-continental conditions) the self-respect of the man won't allow him to continue playing.
ODIs, I think pretty much all can agree will be WC '11. Tests, I would say the whoever we play in Spring '12 at home. By then he would have a final crack in Australia, South Africa, and West Indies - the countries where he is yet to win a series in. India have 9 more tests till the WC and another 17-18 after that in the following year. I think that will be Tendulkar signing off - hopefully BCCI will schedule his last test at Bombay.
India has already won a series in West Indies.... he will get yet another chance(might be last) in Dec, 2010...and In Australia in 2012....