Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010

Discussing the 2nd test between India and SA at Kolkata, 2010  

1. 1.

• With an Hour Left Today
    • Tomorrow After Lunch
    • Other

Sehwag Gambhir Vijay Sachin VVS/Rohit Badri Dhoni Mishra Bhaj Zak Ishant We shouldnt try and experiment by drafting someone new as we dont have an extra buffer to do so.Now we must go in with our full strength trusted side, so no place for any change other than getting Rohit or VVS who ever is fit in place of Saha

We need street smart in form bowlers to support Zak. Ishant is not working. Get Dhawal kulkarni on board or atleast irfan Pathan.
Irfan will do no more than getting the ball full and troubling Dhoni every time as it will come at him on the second bounce :D. On a serious note, i dont think Ishant has done that bad to drop him, Dhawal Kulkarni is in good form, but i dont think he has that extra opace to trouble the strong Saffie batsman.So for now, we myust get our formidable eleven going ajnd have faith in them
not really,hes too slow to trouble class batsmen like Smith,Kallis. i'm impressed with Mithun,would like to see him play
dhawal is a much better support to zaheer he bowls in good areas, most liable to pick wickets you would know what i'm talking about if u would have seen the duleep trophy final
dhawal is a much better support to zaheer he bowls in good areas, most liable to pick wickets you would know what i'm talking about if u would have seen the duleep trophy final
if u go by that even Ganapathy bowled some jaffas n in good areas.actually it was the quality of batsman that making the bowling look good
I know that he has been in terrific form, but i think Ishant has done enough to keep himself availible for one more chance.I dont think he has bowled badly but he hasnt been lucky enough to get a wicket. For Dhawal, some good bowling conditions, as in england s.africa or Aus, he surely should get his cap there, but not in India
On a serious note' date=' i dont think Ishant has done that bad to drop him[/quote'] What has Ishant done since 2008 when he had good series against Aussies and England? He was average in New Zealand (on lively pitches against mediocre batsmen), poor against Lanka and we saw how he fared here. In between he got some cheap Bangla wickets of guys who are nowhere near Test class.
There is no point dwelling too much on the pitch. Sure, every home side would like to have a pitch assisting it's bowlers but the Nagpur pitch is certainly not one which favored the South Africans like at Ahmedabad two years ago. There was turn on this track right from day one - slow, but good spinners should have been able to do the work with it. These aren't days from 15 years back when you could wheel in Chauhan into the side and expect the opposition to give way. Teams like South Africa and Australia are much better players of spin now and have played a lot in Indian conditions. Ordinary spinners are not going to run through them even on tracks assisting spin. India's best chance is a pitch where their pace attack is in the game - Zaheer, Ishant, and Sreesanth need a bit of assistance and can bowl very good spells. Again, I am not saying prepare a greentop, but this over reliance on ordinary spinners is not really going to help out. A pitch with bounce and carry is going to keep our fast bowlers in the game and also help Harbhajan, who more than turn likes good bounce on the track.
I agree with you 100%. One thing that most people here in India don't get when they complain about the lack of fast bowling resources is the fact that we make it as hard as possible for a fast bowler to be successful in India. As long as we don't trust the ability of our pace bowlers on lively tracks and produce tracks that help them we are not going to get teenagers lining up to bowl fast.

it would be interesting to know what kind of a pitch that dumbass has prepared (if not a turning one) .... I think it's common sense that we need to have a turning track as SA play and bowl pace better than Ind while Ind play and bowl spin better

There is nothing wrong if prepare a turning pitch but here people are sounding like this is the only way we can win a match against SA ( at home!!).If that is true, that means we cant beat them in normal Indian phatta pitches. So much for No1 team :--D Secondly it is easy to prepare a bouncy pitch by leaving grass but I'm not sure how we can prepare a turning from day 1 pitch unless the assistance from the soil underneath or under prepared! Usually pitch starts breaking down from day 3 assisting spinners , I dont think there is any magical solution to convert a normal pitch to start turning from day 1.
What you say is mostly right except that leaving grass on the pitch will not make the pitch bouncy. Grass will help with pace off the pitch, late movement in the air and off the seam but it does not help with the bounce significantly. To prepare a bouncy track the pitch needs to be hard on the surface and underneath. That is why people press a key into the turf (to check the hardness) to gauge the bounce before the match begins.
What you say is mostly right except that leaving grass on the pitch will not make the pitch bouncy. Grass will help with pace off the pitch' date=' late movement in the air and off the seam but it does not help with the bounce significantly. To prepare a bouncy track the pitch needs to be hard on the surface and underneath. That is why people press a key into the turf (to check the hardness) to gauge the bounce before the match begins.[/quote'] Oh yes..You're right! Thanks for the info:icflove: