Bradman is the greatest, Sachin comes only second: Waugh, Benaud

Feed

Bradman is the greatest, Sachin comes only second: Waugh, Benaud  

2 members have voted

1. 1.

what's funny is that fans are being forced to write against Sachin, who is one of the all-time greats, to be on the right side. What trolls don't realize is that such comparisons are not likely to elevate Sachin's position but will only show him in poor light If Sachin has a case of being compared to Don, then by that account some of the others do too. On the other hand, having Bradman in a league of his own probably helps Sachin as then he has a strong case of being better than the rest, which is where the game is :winky:

And no one from england team came out and told they devised this tactics solely for sachin ' date=' Unlike Bodyline which was planned much earlier to the series start and devised mainly to control Don....[/quote'] Didn't Hussain write an article saying he purposely targeted Sachin through Giles' negative line at Bangalore? I could be wrong though, my memory is a bit vague as I wasn't that old then. But they used Giles to stifle Sachin at Bangalore whether they admit it or not.
Guest DeveGowda
what's funny is that fans are being forced to write against Sachin' date=' who is one of the all-time greats, to be on the right side. What [b']trolls don't realize is that such comparisons are not likely to elevate Sachin's position but will only show him in poor light If Sachin has a case of being compared to Don, then by that account some of the others do too. On the other hand, having Bradman in a league of his own probably helps Sachin as then he has a strong case of being better than the rest, which is where the game is :winky:
this is wrong word...try to tak that back most of posts here from some of respected and seniors posters...actually we are new here:winky: problem is most of these people are die hard Sachin fans so their mind is like programmed ...
This is incorrect. England didn't use those tactics in the first two Tests of that series at Mohali and Ahmedabad (indeed Giles didn't even play at Mohali). They definitely used them at Bangalore' date=' but it wasn't for the entire series.[/quote'] They tried an off-side attack - having 8 fielders on the offside and bowling well outside the off-stump - in the first two tests before switching to the leg-side attack for the third. The almanac article also confirms that negative tactics were used throughout the series against Tendulkar.
They tried an off-side attack - having 8 fielders on the offside and bowling well outside the off-stump - in the first two tests before switching to the leg-side attack for the third. The almanac article also confirms that negative tactics were used throughout the series against Tendulkar.
Apologies, I thought you were referring to the leg side attack only. You are right in that case, they certainly used the off-side restrictive line in the first couple of games.
how come they think they can use a Average bowler like Giles and Counter Sachin..its really funny.. :cantstop:
If a bowler who can turn the ball a tad bit, bowls from that angle is very difficult to play. Doesn't matter who the bowler is.
And Do u never heard or saw this negetive line attack After or before this ? :winky:
How do you or anyone know that the bodyline tactic was 1st used vs Bradman? Who followed all club/domestic games to know?
I i dont have any stats to show who is better..but one Series shows why many considers Bradman greatest... Bodyline sereis.. This strategy Solely developed for containing Bradman..i dont know is there any other startegy developed solely for containing a batsman...!!!
You have drifted from the point of your original post to comparing which tactic is more lethal. It would help if people stay consistent with the point of the discussion rather than drifting all over the place. Btw, the leg-side theory adopted by most teams nowadays is not batsman specific but situation specific. It is being used today to limit the target of declaration.
Guest DeveGowda
You have drifted from the point of your original post to comparing which tactic is more lethal. It would help if people stay consistent with the point of the discussion rather than drifting all over the place. Btw, the leg-side theory adopted by most teams nowadays is not batsman specific but situation specific. It is being used today to limit the target of declaration.
My points drifted as per situation...its respose to sachinism's post... May be that time also its same...England won series in Srilanka , pakisthan using different strategies..so they continued in India similer tactice not if Same ..becuase they know that Subcontinent players play spin better than Anyone else in world..to counter that they used this strategy.. the Strategy may used on Sachin..but its definitely Not devised only for Sachin...the report u shown on u r post also shows sachin stumped for only after he tempeted seeing Sehwag blasting some legside bowling..i asked a question there u didnt responded for that (currently i dont have enough time to get all the details..but wait some time..i ll give you all details regarding this :winky: i am in no hurry...we will settle this )
Are you saying negative line was never adopted by any team before? It has been there for ages even in domestic cricket. Even in club cricket http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62694.html Here is a match for you that one team (West Indies) employed negative line with 9 fielders on the leg side to prevent from losing. They did . It was year 1948/49. Tendulkar made debut after cricket matured fully.
My points drifted as per situation...its respose to sachinism's post... May be that time also its same...England won series in Srilanka , pakisthan using different strategies..so they continued in India similer tactice not if Same ..becuase they know that Subcontinent players play spin better than Anyone else in world..to counter that they used this strategy.. the Strategy may used on Sachin..but its definitely Not devised only for Sachin...the report u shown on u r post also shows sachin stumped for only after he tempeted seeing Sehwag blasting some legside bowling..i asked a question there u didnt responded for that (currently i dont have enough time to get all the details..but wait some time..i ll give you all details regarding this :winky: i am in no hurry...we will settle this )
Whether he succeeded in his attempts to counter the tactic or not is beside the point. You cannot compare the effect of a Tendulkar dismissal to a Sehwag dismissal on the team during that time and perhaps that is why Tendulkar was averse to taking undue risk. And, however hard you try to disprove, the fact is Hussain used the tactic to counter Sachin. He believed if he can prevent Sachin from dominating his bowlers he can stop India from posting a big score.
Are you saying negative line was never adopted by any team before? It has been there for ages even in domestic cricket. Even in club cricket http://www.cricinfo.com/ci/engine/match/62694.html Here is a match for you that one team (West Indies) employed negative line with 9 fielders on the leg side to prevent from losing. They did . It was year 1948/49. Tendulkar made debut after cricket matured fully.
Read my post again. I said negative tactics had not been used to counter a particular batsman for the entire series.
Read my post again. I said negative tactics had not been used to counter a particular batsman for the entire series.
Teams always practiced negative line from time to time on Indian surfaces. Just because Nasser Hussain hyped it up it cannot be considered a novel thing and equated to bodyline series which was created to hurt you . You could not have more than 2 fielders with that line when Tendulkar batted. So he could score runs or pad up all day.In bodyline series they had as much as 4 or 5 fielders there. What is the worst thing that could happen to Tendulkar with that line? Let me think.. it might make an impression on his pad. That's it.
And no one from england team came out and told they devised this tactics solely for sachin ' date=' Unlike Bodyline which was planned much earlier to the series start and devised mainly to control Don....[/quote'] In the 90s, teams like South Africa made strategies for only how to counter Sachin as they knew he was the sole one who could take the attack to them. they used to have a short cover and bowl well outside the off hoping to get him out driving on the up. this was widely reported in the newspapers and magazine. Sachin never used to fall twice to the same strategy
In the 90s' date=' teams like South Africa made strategies for only how to counter Sachin as they knew he was the sole one who could take the attack to them. they used to have a short cover and bowl well outside the off hoping to get him out driving on the up. this was widely reported in the newspapers and magazine. Sachin never used to fall twice to the same strategy[/quote'] Those kind of strategy they use even for Junaid siddique, Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Keyes. Certain players are strong or weak in certain areas. Teams exploiting that cannot be considered as "exclusive strategy".
Those kind of strategy they use even for Junaid siddique' date=' Tamim Iqbal, Imrul Keyes. Certain players are strong or weak in certain areas. Teams exploiting that cannot be considered as "exclusive strategy".[/quote'] Nope. Not when the strategies was discussed for weeks and was in the press for days. I could say the same thing about the bodyline series that it was against all batsmen in the Australian series and not just Bradman but Bradman being Bradman got all the publicity
Nope. Not when the strategies was discussed for weeks and was in the press for days. I could say the same thing about the bodyline series that it was against all batsmen in the Australian series and not just Bradman but Bradman being Bradman got all the publicity
Those were conceived based on how he gets out playing on the up. For instance for 2004 series in India Australia came up with a plan for each and every single batsman. Laxman, Dravid, Tendulkar.. everybody. That is the way teams have been operating over the years. You are merely using the knowledge about batsmen's strength and weakness. But in bradman's case there was no evidence prior to that he was weak. There was no evidence batsmen were targetted before with 5 or 6 fielders on the legside. Fact is there was never a bodyline before and after. But what you suggest is just normal cricketing strategy.

bradman average of 99.94 is ***ing crazy and sachin is no way near that with his 56 average...if sachin reaches even 90 average then i would say he is better then bradman...and also bradman first calss cricket and some other bs cricket are also unbelieable records case closed guys...this is for the DON BRADMAN :hatsoff: :congrats: