Rajasthan is an ordinary side: Gambhir

Rajasthan is an ordinary side: Gambhir  

1. 1.

• Yes: He should be respectful towards his opponents
    • No: He speaks his mind, what's wrong with that
    • Don't care: Who am I to judge?

U are absolutely right.. GG should have kept quiet..i am all for Honest opinions..but problem arises when people give this kind of statements even before Tourney over.. Also one more thing he told this after amtch over ..he should have told this before match (@leat Sehwag called bangla ordinary before match)
Viru was stating the obvious. They are termed ordinary coz of their track record. Royals track record is as good as others. They never finished last in the IPL. Did they?

I cannot argue on your opinion. But I feel, it is based on paper and names however the real stats and performances have proven, it is different in which RR batting is really not bad.Also the performances if reviewed, have again shown RR is not reliant on YP. Again, please check the stats and performances if thought otherwise rather than just media hype. Again, I am not trying to rank RR batting but I am just saying RR batting is not as bad as generally thought and DD batting is not as good as generally thought. Overall, my poiint is that I just fail to understand why people do not understand and give respect to RR for their achievements but still remain arrogant and overconfident against RR
By no means am I saying that other teams be unmindful of RR or be complacent against them. It is just that other teams would know that if they play to potential they can surely win against RR. Against say Bangalore or Deccan, you never know. There are quality players in that side especially in the batting department that can blow you away even if you play to your potential. That is the difference. By the way Sehwag has come out with praise for Warne's captaincy. In the midst of all this hoopla I think there was a point that was lost. I would be very curious to see just how this RR unit does when chasing a total. It is very good with fielding second given Warne and the team's bonding/chemistry or whatever. I suspect that it will come off second best to most teams if it gets to bat second and needs to chase a big score.

By no means am I saying that other teams be unmindful of RR or be complacent against them. It is just that other teams would know that if they play to potential they can surely win against RR.
That underlines the importance of captaincy. He brings the best out of his players. Cricket is not played on paper. You don't really have to have big names to win a T20. You have to gel as a team and contribute as a team. This is why we lost badly in the last T20. Full of big names. But didn't play as a team. You only got 120 balls to showcase your potential. Even poor domestic teams can look dangerous for 120 balls. Not that big a deal. In the first T20 our team was not at all strong. They were all rookies . Yet we won. Man for man we were poorer than lot of teams.

That underlines the importance of captaincy. He brings the best out of his players. Cricket is not played on paper. You don't really have to have big names to win a T20. You have to gel as a team and contribute as a team. This is why we lost badly in the last T20. Full of big names. But didn't play as a team. You only got 120 balls to showcase your potential. Even poor domestic teams can look dangerous for 120 balls. Not that big a deal. In the first T20 our team was not at all strong. They were all rookies . Yet we won. Man for man we were poorer than lot of teams.
When you say 'we won' I guess you are an RR supporter. :) Leaving that alone, the best captain cannot make an ordinary team extraordinary. Warne has been exemplary. No arguments. That is why I pointed out Sehwag's comments on that subject. But that does not mean that we dont speak the truth about the team as such. It is not that it lacks stars - which is the usual argument. Would I trust RR to win the tournament or DD? I would trust DD every time. You probably can put up a poll and see how it goes. And like I said earlier, RR has an advantage when it defends. They are the New Zealand of the IPL. And I dont mean that disrespectfully. They always give their 100% and more. But see there is a reason why natural talent is given preference. What that means is that sometimes even an 80% of an extremely talented team can win you the game. The game is one of percentages. Simply put DD is more likely to win than RR. If we disagree on this, then I guess we can agree to disagree.

Simply put DD is more likely to win than RR. If we disagree on this, then I guess we can agree to disagree.
That doesn't make RR ordinary. And they have proven it by fighting for a semi spot. And even if they are ordinary you don't need to open your loud mouth in front of all the fans to make that unwanted statement.

When you say 'we won' I guess you are an RR supporter. :) Leaving that alone, the best captain cannot make an ordinary team extraordinary. Warne has been exemplary. No arguments. That is why I pointed out Sehwag's comments on that subject. But that does not mean that we dont speak the truth about the team as such. It is not that it lacks stars - which is the usual argument. Would I trust RR to win the tournament or DD? I would trust DD every time. You probably can put up a poll and see how it goes. And like I said earlier, RR has an advantage when it defends. They are the New Zealand of the IPL. And I dont mean that disrespectfully. They always give their 100% and more. But see there is a reason why natural talent is given preference. What that means is that sometimes even an 80% of an extremely talented team can win you the game. The game is one of percentages. Simply put DD is more likely to win than RR. If we disagree on this, then I guess we can agree to disagree.
No i am no anybody's supporter :hysterical: I meant about India winning T20 cup.

Thing about NZ comparison is NZ never gets past any semi final. But Royals won the finals. So you cannot compare them. They are far more result oriented than NZ. Sangakkara, Yuvraj, Mahela, Bopara, Lee team should have beaten most teams if only played on paper. In t20 all it needs is one inspiring short burst or one breathless knock for few overs can change the game. The game is unpredictable. Deccan chargers were the favorites in the first T20 coz of big hitters all the way. Gilly, Gibbs, Afridi, Symonds.. etc. But they finished dead last. You can somewhat predict in one dayers. in t20 you cannot conclusively say.. "this is the team that is going to win".

RR has won an IPL and have the best W/L ratio amongst the teams till date. Ordinary? Sorry to say, but Gambhir made a fool out of himself. :laugh:

Team	P	W	L	NR	W/L

RR	41	25	15	1	1.67
DD	40	23	16	1	1.44
CSK	41	22	18	1	1.22
MI	37	19	17	1	1.12
KXIP	39	19	20	0	0.95
BRC	40	18	22	0	0.82
KKR	38	14	22	2	0.64
DC	40	15	25	0	0.60

There should be an option in the poll - Gambhir does not know what the hell he is talking about. Comparing RR to NZ is ridiculous. NZ are nowhere close to topping the W/L ratios in ODIs.

Thing about NZ comparison is NZ never gets past any semi final. But Royals won the finals. So you cannot compare them. They are far more result oriented than NZ. Sangakkara' date=' Yuvraj, Mahela, Bopara, Lee team should have beaten most teams if only played on paper. In t20 all it needs is one inspiring short burst or one breathless knock for few overs can change the game. The game is unpredictable. Deccan chargers were the favorites in the first T20 coz of big hitters all the way. Gilly, Gibbs, Afridi, Symonds.. etc. But they finished dead last. You can somewhat predict in one dayers. in t20 you cannot conclusively say.. "this is the team that is going to win".[/quote'] Agreed about Punjab on paper. But the thing that does not come out on paper is that they are so disjoint with so many egos floating around in the team. And I also agree about T20 being so much more unpredictable. I mean Suman scoring 78 today. He was mediocre out there. Nothing more, nothing less. Yet he scored 78. What more can be said!

RR has won an IPL and have the best W/L ratio amongst the teams till date. Ordinary? Sorry to say, but Gambhir made a fool out of himself. :laugh:
Team	P	W	L	NR	W/L

RR	41	25	15	1	1.67
DD	40	23	16	1	1.44
CSK	41	22	18	1	1.22
MI	37	19	17	1	1.12
KXIP	39	19	20	0	0.95
BRC	40	18	22	0	0.82
KKR	38	14	22	2	0.64
DC	40	15	25	0	0.60

There should be an option in the poll - Gambhir does not know what the hell he is talking about. Comparing RR to NZ is ridiculous. NZ are nowhere close to topping the W/L ratios in ODIs.

The comparison was with respect to the fighting spirit and how much of a tough team they make themselves out to be to beat once they are on the field. And no point comparing ODIs to T20s. Apples to apples and yes the game is too young to make any comprehensive or sweeping statements - this way or that.

As someone mentioned b4, you do not need to go out loud in public and say this like GG. Moreover as I mentioned b4, I just wanted to know your opinion about Australia cricket team. With respect to them, we always think they are disrespecting opponents and that's why do not like them. So they are also speaking honestly about their opinion in public and yet we start fuming and have public protests and whereas when one of our Indian players do that, I see a lengthy discussion just to prove he is right. Right or wrong is not the point, although even the performances and stats will say RR is one of the best teams in IPL, your opinion is yours. But why disrespecting the opponents and making a right mess about yourself in public. Is it just because we India or your DD are the top team at least on paper so automatically every team below that is ordinary. And how can you say DD>RR more likely to win, is it just because RR have won unlike DD so they will never win it again

As someone mentioned b4, you do not need to go out loud in public and say this like GG. Moreover as I mentioned b4, I just wanted to know your opinion about Australia cricket team. With respect to them, we always think they are disrespecting opponents and that's why do not like them. So they are also speaking honestly about their opinion in public and yet we start fuming and have public protests and whereas when one of our Indian players do that, I see a lengthy discussion just to prove he is right. Right or wrong is not the point, although even the performances and stats will say RR is one of the best teams in IPL, your opinion is yours. But why disrespecting the opponents and making a right mess about yourself in public. Is it just because we India or your DD are the top team at least on paper so automatically every team below that is ordinary. And how can you say DD>RR more likely to win, is it just because RR have won unlike DD so they will never win it again
Lets see here - if the question is whether Gambhir actually needed to say it aloud we all know the answer to that. There is no express need. He just expressed himself. I think we are expecting too much from our sportsmen - diplomacy of the sort practiced by visiting diplomats, anybody? Given that these are men who live by and for the moment, I think it is a bit too much. I agreed with Sehwag when he talked about the Bangladesh side. People will argue that he was not gracious but really I think he was just being Sehwag. It was not, in my opinion, said to gain any advantage - a la Australia. They make statements calculated to upset the opponents. Sehwag was just speaking his mind out. About Gambhir his statement was born more out of relief than anything else, I think. In reality too RR is a motley group of individuals beautifully bonded and brought out by Warne. There are two kinds of plays open to a team in cricket. One where 2 people are pitted against 11 and sometimes just 1 against the 11. At other times, the tables are turned. I just happen to think Warne has moulded the perfect team to bully opponents when RR are the 11 pitted against the 2. It follows that when the tables are turned and when true individual talent is what is under the scanner, RR does not exactly have the upper hand. I do not know if this was what Gambhir was saying. But this is my opinion on the subject.

Lets see here - if the question is whether Gambhir actually needed to say it aloud we all know the answer to that. There is no express need. He just expressed himself. I think we are expecting too much from our sportsmen - diplomacy of the sort practiced by visiting diplomats, anybody? Given that these are men who live by and for the moment, I think it is a bit too much. I agreed with Sehwag when he talked about the Bangladesh side. People will argue that he was not gracious but really I think he was just being Sehwag. It was not, in my opinion, said to gain any advantage - a la Australia. They make statements calculated to upset the opponents. Sehwag was just speaking his mind out. About Gambhir his statement was born more out of relief than anything else, I think. In reality too RR is a motley group of individuals beautifully bonded and brought out by Warne. There are two kinds of plays open to a team in cricket. One where 2 people are pitted against 11 and sometimes just 1 against the 11. At other times, the tables are turned. I just happen to think Warne has moulded the perfect team to bully opponents when RR are the 11 pitted against the 2. It follows that when the tables are turned and when true individual talent is what is under the scanner, RR does not exactly have the upper hand. I do not know if this was what Gambhir was saying. But this is my opinion on the subject.
If you looked at my previous post correctly, I am saying you are defending him a Indian player as u r an Indian . When in the past or future, some other players say something about Indian players or cricket in his/her opinion, it will again be you, who would be criticizing them and saying they have no right to go out in public to say anything about others and there is a lack of respect... You would never mention those points about too much sportsmen - diplomacy expectation for other players. And you might not have understood that cricket is a team game rather than individuals, and if you DD still and have always rely on individuals, it will not be beneficial in the long term at least. Maybe DD so first win the IPL or at least chase well before anyone listen to your advice.

If you looked at my previous post correctly, I am saying you are defending him a Indian player as u r an Indian . When in the past or future, some other players say something about Indian players or cricket in his/her opinion, it will again be you, who would be criticizing them and saying they have no right to go out in public to say anything about others and there is a lack of respect... You would never mention those points about too much sportsmen - diplomacy expectation for other players. And you might not have understood that cricket is a team game rather than individuals, and if you DD still and have always rely on individuals, it will not be beneficial in the long term at least. Maybe DD so first win the IPL or at least chase well before anyone listen to your advice.
Well, someone, me denying your accusation and claiming that I will criticize or abstain from criticizing this act regardless of whosoever was the main party is not going to work - especially as my tenure in this forum has been very short. :) Rest assured, although my country is India, my love is for cricket. So you wont see me shortchanging other countrymen just because of my nationality. And yes DD has the potential to win this cup. T20 is way too unpredictable. We can only talk about potential not about execution. That is the way it is.

It takes some thick-skull not to realize that Gambhir's comments were limited strictly to the playing 11 RR fielded on that particular day. Bringing in RR's record in the inaugural opener, when they had a completely different look, to "prove" Gambhir wrong reeks of dis-ingenuity. What's next? India's an ordinary team cuz they've lost more matches than they've won. :hysterical:
Gambhir's comment was definitely not limited to the playing XI but was towards RR as a team. Well, clearly RR is doing pretty well in this IPL too and Gambhir looks like a fool with the comments. And Gambhir's comment were made after the match. If he was so confident he would have made them before the match