Are there any IPL RIVALRIES yet?

Temujin Khaghan

The ManU-Mancity or Pool-Everton or Arsenal-TinyTotts rivalry is a fan based & location based rivalry or local derbys as they are known here. That takes years to develop. The teams haven't yet got that kind of loyal fan following at the grounds, even when it does happen here on ICF it is more like taking the mickey out of each other never anything serious.

What it has done is breed some bad habits on the crowd front like in the case where Kolkata failed to clap for Sehwag's 50. This is one area where I always have huge respect for the Chennai crowd. They always cheer good performances - whether they be of the home team or of the opponents'. I hope T20 does not tamper with this intrinsic but yet unspoken cricket spectator ethos. Its a lost cause, I know, but still...:)
I disagree that this 'bad habit' is because of the IPL. Remember S/F World Cup 96?? There are very few grounds and very few instances in India were opposition performances are applauded.

The ManU-Mancity or Pool-Everton or Arsenal-TinyTotts rivalry is a fan based & location based rivalry or local derbys as they are known here. That takes years to develop. The teams haven't yet got that kind of loyal fan following at the grounds, even when it does happen here on ICF it is more like taking the mickey out of each other never anything serious. I disagree that this 'bad habit' is because of the IPL. Remember S/F World Cup 96?? There are very few grounds and very few instances in India were opposition performances are applauded.
My case in point was Chennai - as you will note in my last post. And it had applauded all comers at all points of time. Bangalore is also fairly decent. By the way this location based thing is not going to work in the IPL. When people give me hell for not supporting Chennai Super Kings I simply ask them what is there to link Chennai with the Super Kings team?? And they have no answer...

My case in point was Chennai - as you will note in my last post. And it had applauded all comers at all points of time. Bangalore is also fairly decent. By the way this location based thing is not going to work in the IPL. When people give me hell for not supporting Chennai Super Kings I simply ask them what is there to link Chennai with the Super Kings team?? And they have no answer...
What do you want which will make you support them more? More chennai based players like KKD or only chennai based players or something else? Ownership is based in Chennai, they play half their games there, that's pretty much all you get typically for any pro sports team. Many pro sports teams are actually owned by groups who are not even local.

Your case in point was Kolkata. You said Kolkata failed to applaud Sehwag's 50 and so I said that bad habit is not due to IPL but always been there. As for Chennai applauding, I know. I was there at the ground on that fateful day when we last to Pakistan. The location based thing will work, it will just take a few years. As an example from the Premier League, Arsenal have few English players let alone players from the area, but that does not change the support and this is true of most teams.

I think Chennai has the best crowd in India. They applaud the performer' date=' not the jersey.[/quote'] No that's been discussed before. Half of the chennai crowd hail from North India who carry Banners in Hindi. Chennai people can't carry Hindi banners.. most of the people from NOrth India visit chennai stadium and make it a great atmosphere everytime.

The location based thing will work, it will just take a few years. As an example from the Premier League, Arsenal have few English players let alone players from the area, but that does not change the support and this is true of most teams.
Yeah the IPL is still too young a tournament. It definitely needs more history b/w its teams. But if the IPL is just like this even after 4-5 years, i think it will become boring. We just cant watch mind boggling number of matches day in and day out - without any meaning to them. Basically what i believe is that if the IPL needs to survive, there is a need for rivalries to develop in the long run - and they will. Because at the end of the day everything has an expiry date. We have already seen 400+ DLF maximums in this tounament, so even the big hit will lose the special thrill in a few years time. IPL 20-20 is already boring to a lot of people but the WC 20-20 is closely followed by all. No matter how many ever matches we have seen we still yearn for a tie against Pakistan and now Australia too. But we groan out loud when another series against sri lanka is announced. Because inspite of some historic confrontations with them, India-Srilanka isnt exactly right up there with India-Pak or India-Aus matches. I think the rivalry factor will add the extra thrill to some of the ties in the future tournaments. I have a gut feeling that some team will get pissed off by KKR's crowd behaviour and react when they host KKR.

No that's been discussed before. Half of the chennai crowd hail from North India who carry Banners in Hindi. Chennai people can't carry Hindi banners.. most of the people from NOrth India visit chennai stadium and make it a great atmosphere everytime.
but when they go back to north india, they become crazy again. just kidding lol.

No that's been discussed before. Half of the chennai crowd hail from North India who carry Banners in Hindi. Chennai people can't carry Hindi banners.. most of the people from NOrth India visit chennai stadium and make it a great atmosphere everytime.
Says who??

Hey c'mon yaar. Thats a bit mean. Chennai has the most intelligent and sporty crowd in India.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: Legend wayz

What do you want which will make you support them more? More chennai based players like KKD or only chennai based players or something else? Ownership is based in Chennai, they play half their games there, that's pretty much all you get typically for any pro sports team. Many pro sports teams are actually owned by groups who are not even local.
You dont get me, Yoda. I am for crowds which appreciate players' skill and not be shallow and partisan. Like I said myself - slightly impractical considering various conditions surrounding the IPL. :)
Your case in point was Kolkata. You said Kolkata failed to applaud Sehwag's 50 and so I said that bad habit is not due to IPL but always been there. As for Chennai applauding, I know. I was there at the ground on that fateful day when we last to Pakistan. The location based thing will work, it will just take a few years. As an example from the Premier League, Arsenal have few English players let alone players from the area, but that does not change the support and this is true of most teams.
Gunner - you are looking at the point from the other spectrum. Yes my point was about Chennai cheering the visiting team and Kolkata not. You are looking at the have not and I was pointing out the have. Either way its the same thing if you know what I mean. :) And believe me, this location thing is going for a toss. When the auction happens later on this year, all hell is going to break loose and you will not know who stands for which team!!
@vortex... I don't support Mumbai despite being from Mumbai. So you have company :winky:
Glad there is somebody like that, achilles!