Are there any IPL RIVALRIES yet?

Temujin Khaghan

like the Bulls-Nicks, Arsenal-Man.U, or the Yankee-Red Sox just kidding, i know i went too far... but atleast a fledgling rivalry. so we are halfway down to the IPL3... around 130 matches have been played till now in the IPL. and are there any rivalries yet? matches b/w two teams which even the neutrals look forward to? do you think IPL is still too young to have any rivalries yet b/w teams? what are the factors which give birth to rivalries b/w 2 teams? these are a few i can think of... keeping NBA and English Premier league in mind. 1) deep seated hatred for the city the other team represents 2) cold vibes b/w two players - who play a major part in 2 opposite teams. players representing 2 rival brands of endorsements/ franchise companies (is this even a factor? - if anil ambani buys a team... they will have a rivalry with MI even before they start playing.) 3) one team always proving to be a thorn in the flesh to the other teams' fight for a semifinal, final berth or the trophy itself 4) a history of confrontations in very crucial matches or legendary confrontations b/w two teams 5) 2 champion players pitted against each other 6) players need to be very loyal to their teams and more serious about the games (not make the 'picnic' statements that Steyn made... and more like the intensity morkel shows for CSK ) 7) there should a main core in the team which shouldn't be replaced- more like half of team members - so that the fans can always relate to the team even with new arrivals. 8) Players who come with provoking statements about the members of other teams. Sadly our Indian media expects Gambhir and Sehwag to apologise for having said the other teams are ordinary. Indian media needs to follow NBA for a change. anything else? i think there is always smthg b/w RCB and KKR. i think ever since they played the first match of the inaugural IPL and have been humiliated, RCB come extra hard on KKR.

No team will be dumb enough to start a rivalry with :mi: till SRT is associated with it.
when shoaib was bowling to sachin in the inaugural it was like india vs pakistan in kolkota... P.S i think kolkota is the only place, they would dare to go against sachin. In the rest of india sachin is always cheered.

No team will be dumb enough to start a rivalry with :mi: till SRT is associated with it.
SRT was with MI for the past two years as well, what has the team achieved for the others to be scared of picking up a rivaliry with them?

Ipl is just for entertainment like wwe. You cant compare it with NBA etc where they play it for a season and there are no international games. That is it. EPL is an exception with football also famous internationally. But rivalries didnt develop in 3 years.

To answer the question in the topic - there are no such famed rivalries. Each match is its own realm. The performances thereof remaining in spectators' minds for as long as about 24 hours before the next match comes on. What it has done is breed some bad habits on the crowd front like in the case where Kolkata failed to clap for Sehwag's 50. This is one area where I always have huge respect for the Chennai crowd. They always cheer good performances - whether they be of the home team or of the opponents'. I hope T20 does not tamper with this intrinsic but yet unspoken cricket spectator ethos. Its a lost cause, I know, but still...:)

To answer the question in the topic - there are no such famed rivalries. Each match is its own realm. The performances thereof remaining in spectators' minds for as long as about 24 hours before the next match comes on. What it has done is breed some bad habits on the crowd front like in the case where Kolkata failed to clap for Sehwag's 50. This is one area where I always have huge respect for the Chennai crowd. They always cheer good performances - whether they be of the home team or of the opponents'. I hope T20 does not tamper with this intrinsic but yet unspoken cricket spectator ethos. Its a lost cause, I know, but still...:)
even hyderabad supports the more popular members of the indian cricket team.