Is there actually a bias AGAINST the South Zone in IPL?

achilles

What is with all this every culture/state/region deserves its own team? The bidders had the opportunity to bid the highest possible amount and select a city to build a franchise in. The winners chose Pune and Kochi. Stop talking about what's fair and what should have happened. All the bullsh*t about Gujarat, UP, Kashmir deserving a team doesn't have any merit. If you really cared about diversity then you should be arguing about Assam or Arunachal Pradesh getting their own team. It's a pure business decision. Get over it. The level of bias in this forum is what i'm worried about rather than in the IPL.

Ahmedabad, Kanpur deserve a franchise. One would not invest in a team for orissa, assam or bihar as these regions are economically backward. North-east has zero following for cricket.So franchises are ruled out here as well.Other than the above two, I don't see any prospect for IPL expansion in the near future.
you had any friends from N/E ? dude Assam has some fanatic cricket following & from the crowds we have seen in cuttak can assume the same for Orissa as well . Agree a franchises for these places may not be economically viable , but there arent many places in India with no following for cricket .

I induced that he meant creating a team for a language/culture/state combo makes more sense than dividing the fan base by creating two teams per language/culture/state combo as is the case with Mumbai and Pune. I wouldnt want to divide the Tamil fan base by creating a team from Coimbatore as it takes the fun out of supporting one team who is close to you than the other. And this is not a communist country/venture to give everyone a piece each to start a team per language/culture. Businessmen tend to invest where it is worth. If they feel all language/culture/state in India is worth investing, so be it. All are welcome. But since all south indian states get one if you feel entitled for all states having one, the answer is this is not a communsit country/venture.
I agree with the second part - it's a pure business venture and every franchise owner should be left to decide which city he wants to operate from, for better or worse. The first paragraph is utter bung. The only geographical restrictions on IPL team bids was that they should not be catching from the same domestic teams. Not only are Bombay and Maharashtra separate Ranji teams, there is a much better chance of good local talents coming through from there than from Cochin and Kerela. Huge populations and cultures of India are not represented by the IPL, like UP and Gujarat. Not only do these places have a large local population, but actually have local cricketing talent coming through. There is no way the existence of Cochin over these two places can be justified. Having said that, IPL is not about all these things anyway. It's about a business investment and let's leave it there rather than trying to needlessly trying to justify the existence of a Cochin franchise on the basis of language and culture when probably deep down you also know it's all bung.

For what it is worth I think all this is bound to change shortly. Look at Dinesh Karthik playing for Delhi or Murali Karthik playing for Kolkata. The IPL has nothing to do with regions. How many people from Chennai actually play regularly for the Chennai Super Kings?! Its all made up marketing muck that people readily gorge on.

in short all southies are the same ' date=' eh ?[/quote'] If you want to do a *bleep* and conveniently twist my argument into something you feel would make you happy, you are welcome to do that. As for your comment, I fail to understand how these words imply that all Southies are the same - "The diversity between two states which share a border might be less as compared to states 800 kms apart". May I add a sorry as well, if you find this is a passionately blunt rebuttal. :bow:
yes and they are all called madrassis. :girly1:
Whiste Podu :giggle:

For what it is worth I think all this is bound to change shortly. Look at Dinesh Karthik playing for Delhi or Murali Karthik playing for Kolkata. The IPL has nothing to do with regions. How many people from Chennai actually play regularly for the Chennai Super Kings?! Its all made up marketing muck that people readily gorge on.
There is minimum stipulated number of players that have to be from catchment area to discover or encourage local talent. Murali and Dinesh Karthik don't need to be "discovered", people already know about them, so it really doesn't matter from the point of view of development of talent.