Why Test matches PWNS (DLF) Tontee-Tontee

Guest BossBhai

20/20 needs cheerleaders to pull in the crowds while Test match audiences will even sit through a rain storm. Doesn't seem like Test cricket has anything to worry about.
I'd rather watch pani barsing tip tip tip than watch a test match. And the test match audiences that you speak of are only a grand total of 5 individuals: 3 of them on ICF: BossBhai, S=G and your self. The other two are the gatekeeper at the stadium and the stray dog foraging for food. But you'll probably disagree. Why not do a simple exercise, to find out the true popularity of test matches. Let us compare: 1) average attendances in stadiums for a 'vital' test match on a weekend vs that for a vital IPL game on a weekend. 2) ticket prices for the same. 3) estimated television audiences for the same. 4) Cost of advertising for a brand during a test match and during a T 20 on the same channel. I know purists and uncles like test matches, but the fact is that T 20 is hell lot more popular and probably has cannibalized into the test match market.

I'd rather watch pani barsing tip tip tip than watch a test match. And the test match audiences that you speak of are only a grand total of 5 individuals: 3 of them on ICF: BossBhai, S=G and your self. The other two are the gatekeeper at the stadium and the stray dog foraging for food. But you'll probably disagree. Why not do a simple exercise, to find out the true popularity of test matches. Let us compare: 1) average attendances in stadiums for a 'vital' test match on a weekend vs that for a vital IPL game on a weekend. 2) ticket prices for the same. 3) estimated television audiences for the same. 4) Cost of advertising for a brand during a test match and during a T 20 on the same channel. I know purists and uncles like test matches, but the fact is that T 20 is hell lot more popular and probably has cannibalized into the test match market.
T20 has brought in more audiences, the kind of whom, never watched cricket before, like you. But then even movies like Dabaang are bigger hits than even some of the greatest movies. That doesnt mean I cannot watch and enjoy a classic like Pather Panhcali, or Guide, does it? There is a difference between really understanding, following and enjoying cricket in its highest art form, ie tests and the pop-corn candy riot which is T20. Just like there is a difference between an item number and classical bhartnatyam though both are dance forms. Guess which one draws a bigger crowd? Some followeds of item numbers will also rather watch rain drops than go for any artisitic stuff

The fact that I was hoping to draw attention to was the difference between the way these two formats are viewed by their patrons. For 20/20 fans who watch only this form of the game, this is a pleasant diversion, and to suit this kind of audience the experience is spiced up with many kinds of thrills and frills. Test cricket fans on the other hand are a lot more invested in their game, as evidenced by the few who will brave a heavy drizzle to continue to watch the game. And the fact that they are being overtaken in terms of numbers does little to dampen their passion for the form. As for popularity. no one would suggest that IPL is not more popular. Test cricket loses hands down. But then how prudent is it to hold popularity as a benchmark for actual, real worth? And even there, it would be apt to make the distinction that while 20/20 is more popular without a doubt in terms of the number of people watching it, Test cricket, on the other hand, is way ahead when it comes to a cricketer. Ahead of ODIs and definitely not even on the horizon from where 20/20 stands. I would draw an analogy here from Bollywood - Naseeruddin Shah starred in movies like Masoom, Ijazat, Umrao Jaan, Jaane Bhi Do Yaaron, Tridev and Mohra. The last two were more popular and made more money than the others put together. But ask him to pick one movie he would like his great-grandchildren to see and there's a very good chance he'll choose one of first four. As a craftsman, he would have enjoyed making them more, seeing them more and would treasure being a part of them more than he would the other two.

Ouch MTC that was brutal ... :fear: but there is another reason for low crowds at Test Matches ... they actually conduct a Attention Span and IQ check before they let you in the stadium. And the absence of "item gals" ( read flesh to drool at ) and ofcourse no "Singh-is-King" blaring from the loudspeakers ... its kinda hard for the hormone driven crowd to be attracted to the main course i.e the Kirkut. BTW do you think this calls for a thread along the lines of "Are Urban Indians becoming excessively Tharki ... (and stupid )" ? what do you think ? :hmmm:
Lol, when someone obviously new to cricket comes out with such gems about the great game, what do you expect. But have to admit, she has some amazing writing skills and a very unique and good way of thinking and presenting her points. One of the greatets new addition to this forum As for that thread, the correct answer to the question poised, would be a resounding yes

Ouch MTC that was brutal ... :fear: but there is another reason for low crowds at Test Matches ... they actually conduct a Attention Span and IQ check before they let you in the stadium. And the absence of "item gals" ( read flesh to drool at ) and ofcourse no "Singh-is-King" blaring from the loudspeakers ... its kinda hard for the hormone driven crowd to be attracted to the main course i.e the Kirkut. BTW do you think this calls for a thread along the lines of "Are Urban Indians becoming excessively Tharki ... (and stupid )" ? what do you think ? :hmmm:
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

And there are world famous cabre dancers.
I bet there are item numbers better than some of those cr@ppy classical dancers. And I would rather sit through a T20 game than a useless test match on a lifeless wicket or one where one of teams is mediocre. Going through mediocrity for 5 days is far more painful than getting through a crappy T20 game. So yes quality test match pwns T20 hands down (assuming you have all the free time for 5 days), but not all tests > all T20s.

I like all 3 forms of cricket...agree IPL cricket quality is poor still it gives entertainment. And regarding Test we no longer have much quality sides...so only gets One good in many matches.. Just because Boosa Bhai not likess T20 it wont reduce its effects..

I know test matches can be really boring for girls. Especially for people who don't follow much cricket or not a die hard 5 day game fan. I would really recommed you to skip the Indai tour of west indies(because in windies we will get to see soem flat tracks perhaps and perhaps bit boring cricket), and try to follow India vs England test matches starting at lords. Also India vs Aus test matches starting from the boxing day 26th Dec, 2011 I am sure you will enjoy. I can imagine test cricket which takes place in India when diff countries tour us can be pain to watch when some of the flattest tracks are on offer and it can be real hard for a new or not so interested fan of test cricket. Really, try following the Eng test series and than the australia one late this year, you will definately enjoy. I bet