Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

If swimming is great exercise' date= then explain whales to me ? :whack: tip of the day - swimming is not a great exercise! just relax by the pool side !! :good:
Dedication / perseverance - see they never give up throughout their life.

Good job bro!!.. From what I remember from ur pic, u have a wide structure so its good thaat u will easily put on good mass and strength... I know 6th to 12th month in the gym is the best time cuz thats when u actually start seeing resultss in a big way by ur self... after a year, growth is relatively slower so u wont know if u r growing bigger till someone tells u.. Congratulations u have passed the biggest hurdle of first 6 months and m sure u will be continuing it for rest of ur life... btw regarding protein shake, if you are buying one, don't buy a cheap one.. go to a store and talk to the guy.. he will tell u difference(its better if u listen to him than some1 on net as everyone is gonna give u different opinions) but go for a good p.shake if u r first timer... I know people recommend Creatine, but I wont suggest u.... Diet is important and make sure to get ur proteins n vitamins.. .Natural food is always the best.. If u r vegeterian and need some suggestions on what to eat, let me know...
I have to disagree. You are suggesting that someone who has direct profit to make from the sale, will give you unbiased opinion!! @lalooo If you are really motivated, then spend time on bodybuilding forums, ask queries. take time to assimilate information. get your diet, workout plan reviewed. Most of the folks there would suggest only simple and fundamental stuff. And if its some company promotion, they would add the disclaimer. Whereas, most of the shop-keepers try to sell the 'fancy' stuff. You will be very lucky if you find some unbiased shop-keeper. I have interacted with many trainers, shopkeepers. Most of them do not have their fundamentals right. e.g. 2 days back only I walked into a store, and the guy over their tried to sell me a 'cream' for spot reduction of fat. When I said, do not try that with me - he said "you are not aware of latest technologies". I asked - " why do not you try yourself" - he replied- " I am not interested in losing fat". From whatever I have read & experimented so far - if you are interested in trying out supplements (even though your natural diet is most important foundation) - For typical body building/sculpting needs - You will hardly ever have to look beyond - "Whey protein", "Multi Vitamins", "Vitamin C and other anti-oxidants". And these would also be useless, if your basic diet/ work out is a mess. Next level of relatively safe supplements ( for occasional use) - creatine, NO, ZMA, 'so called fat burners'. There is long list, but you would never need beyond basics. For Whey protein pick any top brand - Optimum, Weider, Ultimate, SAN etc. - the difference is not too much. Just see the cost/flavor side of it - and it should typically be about 24-25 gms of protein per scoop ( 30-31 gms). Multi-Vitamin - any top brand. GNC Mega-men, OptimumNutrition- OptiMen has good blend.

Respect bro!!:icflove: The reason I never had meat was that I know I don't have self control so won't be able to give it up.. but u did the reverse... Kudos bro and I hope more people do what u did :two_thumbs_up:...
You see the paradox - You said you dont have self-control, even though you are able to control yourself to stay away ;).
Regarding the new shake u mentioned, looks good man(my friend uses the same) and way better than what u were thinking of earlier.. again a sidetip, heavy weights don't matter... Its the technique.. I almost screwed up my back in my first year of gyming as all I wanted to lift was heavy n never worried about my positioning... as a bowler, I lost my pace and couldnt even bowl for 2 months...... but later I realized with proper guidance that technique gets u strength... Didn't have any back problem in last 3 years and now I actuallly lift heavy weights with ease... My current stats for basic exercises are ... Chest press- 200 pounds( 3 Sets, 8 reps) Biscep curl -45 pounds( 3 Sets, 8 reps)
Technique is important and so are heavy weights. One has to increase gradually though. Heavy weights are very important, if one wants to bulk up ( and extremely helpful, if one wants to cut down). - but yes, technique is important. @laaloo again. If you are serious in bulking up, then focus on large muscle groups - legs, chest, back, shoulders and core. Dont waste too much time bicep/tricep curling. If you can get techniques right - then Squats and Deadlifts will help you most. Followed by, Chest and Back exercises. Going by your results, I am assuming you can already do good amount of body weight exercises - non-weighted squats, chin/pull-ups and push ups.

I daily get down one bus stop earlier than the one near my home. It is a 2.5 km walk. keeps me in decent shape
Everybit helps. But trust me, you will a lot feel better if you add more stuff to your activity. And in future you will need more.

Ohh and I forgot to mention the most important point. W/o keeping track of your diet and progress ( or lack of it) - you will see mediocre/average or below results at best, Or will hit the plateaus pretty soon and frequently. Food log is a must, if you want most out of your efforts, money.

Good job bro!!.. From what I remember from ur pic, u have a wide structure so its good thaat u will easily put on good mass and strength... I know 6th to 12th month in the gym is the best time cuz thats when u actually start seeing resultss in a big way by ur self... after a year, growth is relatively slower so u wont know if u r growing bigger till someone tells u.. Congratulations u have passed the biggest hurdle of first 6 months and m sure u will be continuing it for rest of ur life... btw regarding protein shake, if you are buying one, don't buy a cheap one.. go to a store and talk to the guy.. he will tell u difference(its better if u listen to him than some1 on net as everyone is gonna give u different opinions) but go for a good p.shake if u r first timer... I know people recommend Creatine, but I wont suggest u.... Diet is important and make sure to get ur proteins n vitamins.. .Natural food is always the best.. If u r vegeterian and need some suggestions on what to eat, let me know...
Bro I am a veggie....Egg is Ok...Can you suggest me a good diet plan??? Planning to Hit the gym on a more regular basis...I have realised that Working out without a proper diet stresses you out even more.

Guys any serious ideas to lose the belly?? I really got serious (again) since March of this year- started eating better i.e. not a diet plan but just smaller portions focussed on proteins & cutting out carbs & fat and have hit the gym working out atleast 45mins on most days except weekends (end up working out 3-4 days in the gym in a week) On weekdays I combine cardio with lifting (chest, legs, shoulders & back) Initially I was just trying to do cardio for 45-60 mins but last couple of months cardio is 20-30 mins and the rest is lifting weights. On some days I work out for 1 1/2 hrs or so. On weekends I don't go to the gym but try to either walk, do the treadmill in basement or swim (not every weekend but I try) I eat wheat toast & drink tea (Indian style) in the morning; tea in the morning is my weakness as I can't get going without it. At lunch i try to combine a light non-beef meat dish (grilled chicken/turkey burger etc) with salad/fruit. Dinner is usually Indian with rotis, dry sabzi, dal etc (I indulge cos it tastes soooo good). All this has obviously made a difference as the body feels firmer, lighter & endurance has increased. But I still have the belly and "luv handles" on the sides of abdomen. if I could just combine the firmer chest, shoulders etc with a leaner body it will be great. My weight has not dropped drastically but I am thinking that might be because I am lifting & building muscle instead of diet+ cardio only. My weaknesses: 1) Drinking- I do consume alcohol (non-beer mostly whiskey); trying to quit because I that will definitely make a difference 2) Sleeping late- I sleep very late & usually get by with 6 hrs of sleep 3) Ab exercises- I try to do crunches etc but not very good at it; for some reason my back starts hurting even though my abs are not tired so I have to stop; don't know if it is a weak back or wrong technique 4) Family tendency- belly runs in the family after certian age despite everyone being pretty active I know belly fat is the last to go & it is hard to counter genes but it will help me if someone who knows this stuff can make suggestions or let me know whether it is impossible to change if it runs in the family. Even if I have a belly I am still motivated to follow the healthy routine to feel better inside.

^ Run mother****er run. I would suggest serious cardio atleast 3 times a week (run outside, weather is great now), on the days you don't lift weights. And get a bike (cycle) :nice:
ok- I have not been doing the outdoor running and cycling ( the bike I have is all rusted so need to get a new one) will modify my routine to add these

So, this is weird I am on an assignment from work and for that I have to live away from home for three months. I hate cooking so I don't do it. Mom packs me like two or three days of dinner every weekend I go home. So basically I have to eat out during lunch for 5 days and dinner 2-3 times a week. The place I live in right now has no vegetarian restaurants other than taco bell and subway but I don't like to eat the same thing every day so I have tried salads and stuff at some non-V restaurants. I feel super weak but my weight is increasing. I have recently tried eating chicken but I hate the way it feels when I chew it. I have been a veggie for all my life :--D I have a medium frame body and now weigh 160 Lb (from 155Lb two months ago). 5'7" height and 21 years of age. any tips? Most of all, my arms feel really tired and weak. I have never tried a regular workout schedule because it's just way too boring. What kept me healthy was playing sports (I guess that substituted for exercise).

So, this is weird I am on an assignment from work and for that I have to live away from home for three months. I hate cooking so I don't do it. Mom packs me like two or three days of dinner every weekend I go home. So basically I have to eat out during lunch for 5 days and dinner 2-3 times a week. The place I live in right now has no vegetarian restaurants other than taco bell and subway but I don't like to eat the same thing every day so I have tried salads and stuff at some non-V restaurants. I feel super weak but my weight is increasing. I have recently tried eating chicken but I hate the way it feels when I chew it. I have been a veggie for all my life :--D I have a medium frame body and now weigh 160 Lb (from 155Lb two months ago). 5'7" height and 21 years of age. any tips? Most of all, my arms feel really tired and weak. I have never tried a regular workout schedule because it's just way too boring. What kept me healthy was playing sports (I guess that substituted for exercise).
Muay Thai Classes or MMA will work wonders. Just try sparring with someone for 3 minutes on a daily basis... As for diet and lifestyle, focus on living healthily rather than on an end goal, it makes it much easier to have a healthy lifestyle than anything else. Your height/weight ratio doesnt seem out of propotion...

You see the paradox - You said you dont have self-control, even though you are able to control yourself to stay away ;). Technique is important and so are heavy weights. One has to increase gradually though. Heavy weights are very important, if one wants to bulk up ( and extremely helpful, if one wants to cut down). - but yes, technique is important. @laaloo again. If you are serious in bulking up, then focus on large muscle groups - legs, chest, back, shoulders and core. Dont waste too much time bicep/tricep curling. If you can get techniques right - then Squats and Deadlifts will help you most. Followed by, Chest and Back exercises. Going by your results, I am assuming you can already do good amount of body weight exercises - non-weighted squats, chin/pull-ups and push ups.
Agree with ur points.. Though for newbie, I wud always suggest him to focus on technique and positioning.. weights will come automatically after a year..but you have different way of training others while I have my own.. Though I do undersand and agree with ur suggestions

Bro I am a veggie....Egg is Ok...Can you suggest me a good diet plan??? Planning to Hit the gym on a more regular basis...I have realised that Working out without a proper diet stresses you out even more.
Great to seee a fellow vegeterian hitting gymm.. prove these Indians with Pakistani mentantilty that u need to eat meat to be phaaaaast and strong :--D Coming to ur schedule.... Breakfast is the most important part of ur meal...It can be heavy if u want.... Try to eat 4 boiled eggs(take egg yolkks of 2 out) + Milk(not more than 2%)...Add some more carbs if u want.....I usuallsy eat 10 almonds for my snacks between bfast and lunch... In lunch, I make sure to take yogurt with me if I m having Indian food..If I am eating chinese I make sure to order and pay for xtra TOFU... For Indian foood,I usually take daal, chickpeas or paneer dish..... I snack on fruits(apple, orange) after lunch... Before hitting the gym in evening, I eat 20-25 grapes to get that instant energy.. Right after gym, I take a banana shake and add some icecream or p.shakes.. I take my dinner early around8 30 .. In dinner, again I dont eat too much.. Jus 3-4 rotis,lil bit rice, a bowl of daal and yogurt ..add some orange juice at the end of dinner..since u r planning to start working out, eat as much paneer as u can.. yes it has fat but it will give u good mass in ur initial bulky period...I remember there was a time when i used to put paneer in every sabjee in every meal..I still do it but not in same quantity.. Water is the msot important thing.. I drink 1/4 glass of water after every hour during the day and evening.. in Gym, i prolly drink more... it helps u to look fresh, and keeeps ur blood clean...and very good for working out...

Guys any serious ideas to lose the belly?? I really got serious (again) since March of this year- started eating better i.e. not a diet plan but just smaller portions focussed on proteins & cutting out carbs & fat and have hit the gym working out atleast 45mins on most days except weekends (end up working out 3-4 days in the gym in a week) On weekdays I combine cardio with lifting (chest, legs, shoulders & back) Initially I was just trying to do cardio for 45-60 mins but last couple of months cardio is 20-30 mins and the rest is lifting weights. On some days I work out for 1 1/2 hrs or so. On weekends I don't go to the gym but try to either walk, do the treadmill in basement or swim (not every weekend but I try) I eat wheat toast & drink tea (Indian style) in the morning; tea in the morning is my weakness as I can't get going without it. At lunch i try to combine a light non-beef meat dish (grilled chicken/turkey burger etc) with salad/fruit. Dinner is usually Indian with rotis, dry sabzi, dal etc (I indulge cos it tastes soooo good). All this has obviously made a difference as the body feels firmer, lighter & endurance has increased. But I still have the belly and "luv handles" on the sides of abdomen. if I could just combine the firmer chest, shoulders etc with a leaner body it will be great. My weight has not dropped drastically but I am thinking that might be because I am lifting & building muscle instead of diet+ cardio only. My weaknesses: 1) Drinking- I do consume alcohol (non-beer mostly whiskey); trying to quit because I that will definitely make a difference 2) Sleeping late- I sleep very late & usually get by with 6 hrs of sleep 3) Ab exercises- I try to do crunches etc but not very good at it; for some reason my back starts hurting even though my abs are not tired so I have to stop; don't know if it is a weak back or wrong technique 4) Family tendency- belly runs in the family after certian age despite everyone being pretty active I know belly fat is the last to go & it is hard to counter genes but it will help me if someone who knows this stuff can make suggestions or let me know whether it is impossible to change if it runs in the family. Even if I have a belly I am still motivated to follow the healthy routine to feel better inside.
Good to hear that u r focussing on ur health and trying to hit the gym regularly... Regarding loosing belly.. its not too hard.. yes u wont be able to get six packs but u will atleast have flat stomatch.. here are the tricks More water(most important factor to loose weight- make a habit of quitting all the softdrinks with lunch/dinner) Heavy breakfast but lighter lunch and dinner Eating dinner early... We Indians generally eat our food right before going to bed... Thats badddd bro..Atleat give urself more than 1 and half hour of no food period before hitting the bed Dont drink milk before sleeping.. again an Indian habit of drinking milk right before the sleep...Drink milk in the morning.. drink milk in the evening.. but dont drink it right before sleeping.. More snacking than heavy meals- I said this earlier but let me clarify.. between ur bfast n lunch, lunch n dinner, keep snacking on fruits, juice so u dont eat too heavy meal As Khota said, Bhaag Boss DK... Running is the best exercise for loosing the tummy