Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

tbh Lurker bhai...please answer me about this.. I m confused as I feel I should not increase weights on my lower body as firstly I m a bowler(fast bowler) ...heavier weights I do on legs, harder I feel these days to bowl with a longer runup... and first time I actually got a hip injury after bowling two weeks back.. I wud like to blame heavy weights I m lifting on legs.. so u think its ok to stop lifting heavier weights on legs but continuing lifting heavier on upper body??
Thats the age old question, what role does weight lifting play in developing a fast bowler. You can have arguments on both sides. My take is if your primary focus is on fast bowling then use gym to stay fit and dont bulk up much. As a pace bowler you need to have energy to carry full tilt for 20 or so overs (atleast). If you are pushing weights in gym with all your heart you would be spent. Not to mention the fact that extra weight will be taking a toll on your knees when you run and stuff. Yes I would say go easy on heavy lifting. Dont leave it completely. Go for more free hands, like body pushups, pullups etc, body squats, ab exercises, running up and down the stairs. Go light to medium in gym, with primary focus on hamstrings. Call it anecdotal but fast bowlers have great hams and butt so thats one area you work on but dont get too heavy. And run....

Thats the age old question, what role does weight lifting play in developing a fast bowler. You can have arguments on both sides. My take is if your primary focus is on fast bowling then use gym to stay fit and dont bulk up much. As a pace bowler you need to have energy to carry full tilt for 20 or so overs (atleast). If you are pushing weights in gym with all your heart you would be spent. Not to mention the fact that extra weight will be taking a toll on your knees when you run and stuff. Yes I would say go easy on heavy lifting. Dont leave it completely. Go for more free hands, like body pushups, pullups etc, body squats, ab exercises, running up and down the stairs. Go light to medium in gym, with primary focus on hamstrings. Call it anecdotal but fast bowlers have great hams and butt so thats one area you work on but dont get too heavy. And run....
briliant point Lurker bhai..seriously good points... and I wished I had listened to u earlier..I just got a lower back injury while bowling in nets two weeks back.. did some serious weight lifting in last 2 months to bulk up and two weeks back in nets, I felt a twitch on my lower back... could barely walk for 2 days...and i had to decide between bowling and bulking up and now I have come to a conclusion that I don't wanna bulk up anymore but just stay on current weights for rest of my life..can't live my passion for cricket just cuz of gymm... so back to 200pounds bench press and squats...thanks for ur tips...as u said, I will focus more on free hand training..I do 8 x 3 pullups, 8x 3 dips etc on my back and chest days...btw what is free hand body squat??.. this is my current pic n I would like to maintain it now while cutting down a bit of fat... img0482i.jpg Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I think you might consider matrial arts/dance training. Weight training does not help with muscle coordination, balance, and overall strength. Something i found out the hard way while sparring. Total body strength and coordination are much more critical, along with balance.

gora ho gaya hai kaafi
Meri gori tvacha ka raaz 'Fair n lovely' oops I meant handsome :)) z2_Tb9Xz1kQ
:omg:
kya hua?
I think you might consider matrial arts/dance training. Weight training does not help with muscle coordination' date=' balance, and overall strength. Something i found out the hard way while sparring. Total body strength and coordination are much more critical, along with balance.[/quote'] Hmmm interesting. I think I shud start trying out these cardio classes once a week. Btw what's ur story about learning hard way while sparring.

briliant point Lurker bhai..seriously good points... and I wished I had listened to u earlier..I just got a lower back injury while bowling in nets two weeks back.. did some serious weight lifting in last 2 months to bulk up and two weeks back in nets, I felt a twitch on my lower back... could barely walk for 2 days...and i had to decide between bowling and bulking up and now I have come to a conclusion that I don't wanna bulk up anymore but just stay on current weights for rest of my life..can't live my passion for cricket just cuz of gymm... so back to 200pounds bench press and squats...thanks for ur tips...as u said, I will focus more on free hand training..I do 8 x 3 pullups, 8x 3 dips etc on my back and chest days...btw what is free hand body squat??.. this is my current pic n I would like to maintain it now while cutting down a bit of fat...
Dude, give yourself a pat on your back first. Most people, overwhelming percentage actually, tends to dislike working out and putting in effort in the gym. You went the other way. You actually enjoy it. So you have my respect. With regards to injuries, that happens to best of us, greatest pace bowlers - Lillee and Marshall - came off it. No reason why you cant. Free hand body squat is basically squat without any weights. So mimic the exercise with your body weight. You can try the Indian style too - baithak - that goes further down and hits your hams and glutes. Of the free hands, pushups and body squats are easiest on your body. Pullsup are a tad dangerous, if you dont use proper form. So use the three on discretion. And run. If you have a stadium then run up the stairs, that shall cut fat in no time. And whatever you do weightwise, keep your back straight.

Cutting off limbs doesn't count as weight loss :nono:
Not kidding, I'm serious. Anyways, it's been close to 2 years since I took it upon me to lose weight, and I've lost 20 kgs since then. Nothing unrealistic about it. I'm 5 feet 9 inches, so I guess 60 kgs would be ideal for me. Another 10 kgs to lose ...

proud of you rahul brother, your an inspiration. Hope you recover well from injury and become what you want to be. As for myself, I've been continuing with the 5x5 program. I joined a gym to get access to a power rack and they gave a free assessment. The trainer there asked me to do squats and deads and severely criticized my form, especially on the squat. I went back to no weight and fixed some of the issues, back not being straight and knees over the toes, and i feel better about my squats. I'm currently squatting 110 lb 5x5, bench pressing 100lb 5x5 (almost, tend to fail in the last two sets), and deadlifting 195lb 5x1. I'm having trouble fitting into my jeans now...my thighs don't fit anymore! Which leads to me to the question...I'm not interested in becoming a power lifter, I just wanted to get stronger, which is why I went to trying heavier weights. I want to be the best athlete I can be, vertical leap and speed and quickness. At one point do I stop adding weight to my major lifts? My immediate goal is to get to body weight for squats and bench press, and I'm about 50 and 60 pounds away, which could take me a while longer. Would love to hear everyone's tought's on this. I'm considering doing Shaun T's asylum program after the bodyweight goal...it's pretty intense but worth it in the end!

Not kidding' date=' I'm serious. Anyways, it's been close to 2 years since I took it upon me to lose weight, and I've lost 20 kgs since then. Nothing unrealistic about it. I'm 5 feet 9 inches, so I guess 60 kgs would be ideal for me. Another 10 kgs to lose ...[/quote'] :omg: :((:((:((:((

I do understand that a lot has been said in the thread earlier, but would appreciate if I could get some personalised advice. I am 6'1 and weigh about 89 kgs. I have started jogging since October and am fairly active otherwise. the problem was that I was quite overweight a couple of years ago and I am not in the shape that I would like to be in. I am thinking of hitting the gym, in addition to the jogging and will be playing squash as well. So, to start of with, what would be a good basic routine to start with at the gym (I have an unstable left knee that needs support when I go jogging)?

I do understand that a lot has been said in the thread earlier, but would appreciate if I could get some personalised advice. I am 6'1 and weigh about 89 kgs. I have started jogging since October and am fairly active otherwise. the problem was that I was quite overweight a couple of years ago and I am not in the shape that I would like to be in. I am thinking of hitting the gym, in addition to the jogging and will be playing squash as well. So, to start of with, what would be a good basic routine to start with at the gym (I have an unstable left knee that needs support when I go jogging)?
Should try some to incorporate some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) when doing cardio, is the best way to burn fat or so they say. If you are looking to do some weight training programme then that takes more research to find a routine.

Should try some to incorporate some HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) when doing cardio' date=' is the best way to burn fat or so they say. If you are looking to do some weight training programme then that takes more research to find a routine.[/quote'] As Serani said - try HIIT.. but if you are getting enough cardio from squash/jogging.. and you want to do 'something' in the gym.. then focus on large muscle groups - specially legs.. don't waste time on biceps/triceps etc.. just do back/chest/legs...even if you do only 3 basic exercises.. squats (legs), pushups(chest), pullup/chinups (back).. it will do wonders.