Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

^ From what I have read - GLutamine is waste of money. You get more than enough from regular protein sources. It is more useful in trauma cases, and from where it got the reputation of being useful for body-building purposes. I would recommend do your own research/reading.
Its dicey. You have arguments on both sides. Comes down to person. If you are getting a good deal I say do have it in your arsenal. But if you have to pay a ransom then stay away. Its worth it but not that much

The pull-up hold gives me pain in the foreram-biceps area :(( Be careful of that goose. I do like the dummbell curl with shoulder press. You can also vary it with shoulder lateral press. Only issue is you cant go heavy as you are supersetting so not great for building muscles. Great for finishing off, or as you said short on time.
Yo Lurker, whilst i'm holding it hurts, in a good way, then i lower real slow at the end and feel the burn. I feel fine within a few seconds. I find a couple of holds really primes my muscles for subsequent upper-body routines. It's something i've been trying to improve my normal pull-up performance i.e. no. of reps, chesting the bar. Why do you say supersetting is not good for building muscle?

2. Standing dumbell arm curl combined with overhead shoulder press. Perfect if you're short for time and great for biceps, shoulder, traps, and core.
how about a barbell deadlift combined with a curl combined with a overhead press combined with a squat?

Yo Lurker' date=' whilst i'm holding it hurts, in a good way, then i lower real slow at the end and feel the burn. I feel fine within a few seconds. I find a couple of holds really primes my muscles for subsequent upper-body routines. It's something i've been trying to improve my normal pull-up performance i.e. no. of reps, chesting the bar. [b']Why do you say supersetting is not good for building muscle?
Well because in my personal experience supersetting is great for burning calories, setting up heart rate and in general have a quick workout with a good pump. BUT it does not help move good weights. And by that I mean good weights for 8-10 reps, in that range, not one-off. When you superset you cant be lifting heavy. In the curl-press example you can move heavier weight for pressing part but can you use the same weight for curls? No. So you will compensate on that. Chest and back supersetting is pretty popular but if you typically move say 75 pounds on dumbbell press usually with superset you would be down to 65 as you are working two sets of muscles and need rest. Just my experience of course. People are different though.:winky:

^ From what I have read - GLutamine is waste of money. You get more than enough from regular protein sources. It is more useful in trauma cases, and from where it got the reputation of being useful for body-building purposes. I would recommend do your own research/reading.
+++1 .. i used it for more than a year... its very costly with minimum results... Whey + Creatine is much better.

I want to give yoga a shot. Specially for flexibility. Lately I seem to be losing that. Any recommendation KR?
If you you want to increase your flexibility, I think you should try stretching. I had the same problem as you when I was 15. I wanted to do a full split, but my flexibility was nil. So,I joined danceworx, I went to Ashley-lobo. It's only after that I could do a split! Do stretching exercises only after working out. You don't have to stretch before your workout but, if you do, make sure you do it after the warm ups. Stretching cold muscles can cause injury. Here are some warm ups: http://www.womensheart.org/content/exercise/stretching_exercise.asp Some stretching Exercises post warm ups: The yoga plough In this exercise, you lie down on your back and then try to sweep your legs up and over, trying to touch your knees to your ears. This position places excessive stress on the lower back, and on the discs of the spine. Not to mention the fact that it compresses the lungs and heart, and makes it very difficult to breathe. This particular exercise also stretches a region that is frequently flexed as a result of improper posture. This stretch is a prime example of an exercise that is very easy to do incorrectly. However, with proper instruction and attention to body position and alignment, this stretch can be performed successfully with a minimal amount of risk and can actually improve spinal health and mobility. the traditional backbend In this exercise, your back is maximally arched with the soles of your feet and the palms of your hands both flat on the floor, and your neck tilted back. This position squeezes (compresses) the spinal discs and pinches nerve fibers in your back. The traditional hurdler's stretch This exercise has you sit on the ground with one leg straight in front of you, and with the other leg fully flexed (bent) behind you, as you lean back and stretch the quadricep of the flexed leg. The two legged version of this stretch is even worse for you, and involves fully bending both legs behind you on either side. The reason this stretch is harmful is that it stretches the medial ligaments of the knee (remember, stretching ligaments and tendons is bad) and crushes the meniscus. It can also result in slipping of the knee cap from being twisted and compressed. Straight-legged toe touches In this stretch, your legs are straight (either together or spread apart) and your back is bent over while you attempt to touch your toes or the floor. If you do not have the ability to support much of your weight with your hands when performing this exercise, your knees are likely to hyperextend. This position can also place a great deal of pressure on the vertebrae of the lower lumbar. Furthermore, if you choose to have your legs spread apart, it places more stress on the knees, which can sometimes result in permanent deformity. Torso twists Performing sudden, intense twists of the torso, especially with weights, while in an upright (erect) position can tear tissue (by exceeding the momentum absorbing capacity of the stretched tissues) and can strain the ligaments of the knee. Inverted stretches This is any stretch where you "hang upside down". Staying inverted for too long increases your blood pressure and may even rupture blood vessels (particularly in the eyes). Inverted positions are especially discouraged for anyone with spinal problems. Hope this helps. ^_^

spending 1 hr in the gym is pretty much useless. you need to get in' date=' get your heavy sets in with a 1 min break in between and get out in 30 mins.[b'] don't spend valuable time 'warming up' or 'stretching' or any other crap. just do one to two sets of light-medium load to get the blood flowing and prepare for the heavier load. even if you are in the gym for 15 min make sure every minute counts and you will get better results than that dude who works out for 4 hrs a day.
Not doing that can cause serious trouble. Your muscles are not ready to take heavy weights. Stretching cold muscles can cause injury.

Not doing that can cause serious trouble. Your muscles are not ready to take heavy weights. Stretching cold muscles can cause injury.
agreed completely..try dynamic stretching (magnificent mobility videos) before u start...10 mins max ..will warm u up...finish the lifting and if u have time do static stretching (but i dont ..so i skip it)

i have a question for u all experts there...i have been going to gym for last 1.5 yrs... i am short (5ft6) and used to weigh 118 lbs and then went to 145 lbs just fat in belly and all. started cardio and then started the stronglifts program...had setbacks like a broken finger and all but long story short- i am now 140-145 lbs. i dont use any supplements. i have developed a lean physique but its far from perfect. here are a few of my problems and i ud appreciate some inputs- 1. i dont look ripped when i am covered up in clothes. it has to do with my height and the fact that i dont want to get stocky. 2. diet- i have cereals with whole milk, banana for breakfast 2/3-whole whear roti, chicken, fruits for lunch chocolate milk, nuts-pre workout chocolate milk, heavy dinner with pasta and chicken for breakfast. 3. i want to reduce fat around my midsection. i dont have tummy and all but its still soft. my abs are pretty strong- can do hanging leg raises, hold a bridge with one leg up for 2 mins. but the love handles specifically are an eyesore. 4. i used to do the stronglifts program with 3 days squats ..went upto 210 lbs for my 140 lb frame. but i dont do squats now. my present routine is monday- military press, 50 pull ups, shrugs, side dumbell raise, biceps, abs wednesday- clap pushups, benchpress (1x bw), dumbell rows, dips, dumbell flyes, triceps friday-deadlifts (175 lbs now..can increase more...just lil cautious abt back rounding and all), lunges, t bar row, arnold press, wide angle pull ups, forearms i realize i have no cardio but i plan to play some sports once summer sets in

i have a question for u all experts there...i have been going to gym for last 1.5 yrs... i am short (5ft6) and used to weigh 118 lbs and then went to 145 lbs just fat in belly and all. started cardio and then started the stronglifts program...had setbacks like a broken finger and all but long story short- i am now 140-145 lbs. i dont use any supplements. i have developed a lean physique but its far from perfect. here are a few of my problems and i ud appreciate some inputs- 1. i dont look ripped when i am covered up in clothes. it has to do with my height and the fact that i dont want to get stocky. 2. diet- i have cereals with whole milk, banana for breakfast 2/3-whole whear roti, chicken, fruits for lunch chocolate milk, nuts-pre workout chocolate milk, heavy dinner with pasta and chicken for breakfast. 3. i want to reduce fat around my midsection. i dont have tummy and all but its still soft. my abs are pretty strong- can do hanging leg raises, hold a bridge with one leg up for 2 mins. but the love handles specifically are an eyesore. 4. i used to do the stronglifts program with 3 days squats ..went upto 210 lbs for my 140 lb frame. but i dont do squats now. my present routine is monday- military press, 50 pull ups, shrugs, side dumbell raise, biceps, abs wednesday- clap pushups, benchpress (1x bw), dumbell rows, dips, dumbell flyes, triceps friday-deadlifts (175 lbs now..can increase more...just lil cautious abt back rounding and all), lunges, t bar row, arnold press, wide angle pull ups, forearms i realize i have no cardio but i plan to play some sports once summer sets in
With the workout regimen you have , I see no reason for you not to look ripped. The only reason could be your heavy dinner.You need to have a light dinner preferably before 8 pm and make it protein based..prefereably chicken or fish.No rice! Also Ditch the Chocolate milk (have fat free milk) NBalla posted a paleo diet.That would be best for you if you want to look a little ripped but not bulky. Hope that helps.