Want to get in shape for summer? Join in...

Lurker

Howz Idli for someone who is trying to lose weight? On the same note, what desi food is OK?
Idli is actually not a good idea if you thinking of loosing weight For the desi food...Since I m a vegeterian but work out hardcore, i try to drink 4-5 glasses of milk everyday....also, eat around 5 eggs a day(make sure to take out the yellow part of egg from 3 of those).....I eat lots and lots of daal, a great source of protien... i literally live on Milk, Eggs and Daal O ya, I hear ppl taking about Whey Protein...I really suggest ppl to get ISO(Pure protein)..the difference is ISO protein has more Protein and you take it right after the workout...it works great for me.. Also, if you are picking up weights, make sure while picking up the weight, pick it up quick but go down slowly.... MILK, EGGS and DAAL !!!! for what desi food is ok, then Rajma, DAAL, Choole, Saag are actually very good...make sure the sabji should be more of Rajmas, chollees, daal than the curry/liquid... also 3-4 rotis with arent bad

I am 6'2'' , about 205 pounds (93 kgs). I have been working out on and off for about 8-9 months.What kind of diet is recommended ? I eat loads of chicken, and have plenty of milk. My body has a bit of fat around tummy, but I am lean overall. I just wanna improve muscle definition, or maybe add a bit.

Howz Idli for someone who is trying to lose weight? On the same note, what desi food is OK?
The devil lies in the detail Rajeev. It is not the food that's the problem(when it comes to losing weight) but the quantity. The best advise I can give you is try to gauge how many calories your body needs and eat less than that. If I have to guess about you(agewise) I say if you consume less than 2000 calories a day you would start losing weight. Idlis are excellent food. Pure unadulaterated carbs. You can take it withs sambhar which in turn is made from veggies, legumes and provides all around vitamin, minerals etc for your body. Excellent stuff. However the catch is how much of them do you have?? I say 2 a meal(4 per day max) should be okay. Anything more and you start adding on calories. Desiwise whats good: Chicken Egg Veggies Milk Yogurt Legumes Soyabean

I am 6'2'' ' date=' about 205 pounds (93 kgs). I have been working out on and off for about 8-9 months.What kind of diet is recommended ? I eat loads of chicken, and have plenty of milk. My body has a bit of fat around tummy, but I am lean overall. I just wanna improve muscle definition, or maybe add a bit.[/quote'] How old are you? And what are your specific goals?? If you want to improve muscle definitions then dont worry much about food, go heavy on basic exercises(bench press, military press, squats, pullups) with high repeatitions. I am talking of 12-15 reps for 3 sets. Use light weights if neccessary. if you are looking to add strength and muscles then go with heavy weights in 6-8 reps range. In latter your body will need food to add size, in the former your body doesnt require ant extra intake. So let me know your specific goals.

whoa i missed this thread... hey lurks, i have a problem... my knee has not healed as yet... i am trying to avoid surgery but till it heels, a mile (or two if i really grunt through the pain) is the most i can run before i break down due to pain. what other cardiovascular exercises can i engage in as an alternative?

I'm 171 cms...Almost 78kg..26 years of age. Should I reduce the weight? Bad habbit of mine is can't stop smoking.
You must lose ATLEAST 10lbs. Its interesting though, coz smoking results in loss of weight. If you're 78 kgs despite puffing the odd cig, then it obviously means your diet isnt what its supposed to be.

whoa i missed this thread... hey lurks, i have a problem... my knee has not healed as yet... i am trying to avoid surgery but till it heels, a mile (or two if i really grunt through the pain) is the most i can run before i break down due to pain. what other cardiovascular exercises can i engage in as an alternative?
Cycling, swimming, static rowing are a few.

How old are you? And what are your specific goals?? If you want to improve muscle definitions then dont worry much about food, go heavy on basic exercises(bench press, military press, squats, pullups) with high repeatitions. I am talking of 12-15 reps for 3 sets. Use light weights if neccessary. if you are looking to add strength and muscles then go with heavy weights in 6-8 reps range. In latter your body will need food to add size, in the former your body doesnt require ant extra intake. So let me know your specific goals.
I am 24. My short/medium term goal would be to get lil more muscle, but I don't wanna lose on flexibility or get too heavy, since I am already 200+. I basically go to gym 2-3 times a week, and play tennis/racquetball couple of times a week. I hate jogging for most part though, so just stick to the sports. Weekends is for cricket sometimes. So basically, I want to improve my sports performance and get a bit more piff at the same time. Possible ? :nervous:

I'm 171 cms...Almost 78kg..26 years of age. Should I reduce the weight? Bad habbit of mine is can't stop smoking.
Frankly I cant say if your weight/height ratio is good or bad Dan. I do think it looks quite reasonable but I guess only you can know that, depending on how you carry that weight. Here is a thumbrule: Generally speaking a difference of 8-10 between chest width and waistline suggests good figure. As in if you have a waistline of 32 inches you should have chest(around) of 42 inches. Anything upwards will classify as pretty good. Less than 8, as in 34 inch waist and 40 chest, means you got to do some work.

If you have access to a gym then give Cross trainer a try. It will be very easy on your knee and specially be good for your oblique and core muscles. If you dont have access to a gym try jumping rope, absolutely killer as far as cardio is concerned. See if that hits your knee. Normally if you land nicely on your toe you should be golden but people have different physiology so just jump without a rope and see if it continues to bother your knee.

I am 24. My short/medium term goal would be to get lil more muscle, but I don't wanna lose on flexibility or get too heavy, since I am already 200+. I basically go to gym 2-3 times a week, and play tennis/racquetball couple of times a week. I hate jogging for most part though, so just stick to the sports. Weekends is for cricket sometimes. So basically, I want to improve my sports performance and get a bit more piff at the same time. Possible ? :nervous:
Dont worry about being 200+ since you should be able to carry that weight at that height. If you are more interested in getting better at sports then probably a good idea to stop hating jogging and start running. Most good sportsmen have strong cardiovascular systems and specially in racquetball that would greatly come in handy. If you are interested in getting more flexible I suggest do calisthenics, kind of military like. Do pushups, pullups, crunches, burpees etc. They should get your core in good shape which is what would make your midsection good as well. If you want to put on weight then approach would be heavy weight with light reps as I mentioned earlier.

i do the bicycle routine... cant swim... and we dont have a decent rowing machine at my university's gym... need something as rigorous as running just not as impact ridden.
The elliptical trainer is easier on the knees than running and it does give a good workout

I seem to have hit a road-block O.K, here are the results of my summmer slim-down programme. Starting weight: 178 lbs ( March - 08) Target weight: 158 lbs ( By Aug 08, that is about 4 lbs/month, which is the recommended weight loss rate). Right now at 162 lbs, but problem is, I have been stuck in this weight for the last 3 weeks, despite continuing my exercise/diet regimen. I really cant seem to place why. I now have a waist-line of 30 inches, want to get it to 28. :D The bad news is, all of my pants are too lose! :haha:

There was a time .... when I was 5'7" 155 and fit in 29" Levi 501s. Had 11% body fat. Fast forward 6 years -- Kids happened. Mom started visiting for 2 months at a time. In-laws started visiting for 6 months at a time. Now, I am 180 lbs, barely fit in 34" Wranglers and am guessing have 25 - 30% body fat. And I am still 5'7" I should stop posting and go for a run .... maybe tomorrow :-)!!

loose pants.....Or loser pants?:P Change the routine a bit..... Try different exercises......
Why are you hounding me? Just because I said Dhoni deserved the award? :winky: Yes, I am upping the ante a bit.. Started resistance traning. Lets see what happens.