Subramaniam Badrinath

thevortex

looks like when you keep playing domestic trundlers for too long you look more clueless when playing international bowlers. he got his chance' date=' although a bit late, didn't capitalize, now is done.[/quote'] Yeah you are right - Dravid had hired Ambrose and Walsh to give him net practice before he made his test debut 5 years after his FC debut.
Sad to see such a talented player who toils in domestic circuit to get shelved because he doesn't have the contacts that Kohli or even Roshit Sharma has in the team management/selectors. I hope he gets another go in TESTs soon, even if its just for 1 year.
I really don't think you want to get into which players our selectors favor after the Emerging Players squad selection, buddy. Anyway, just toiling on the domestic circuit doesn't make someone India material. Badrinath is patently inadequate for international cricket.

Sunny has often spoken about how he used to practice to get used to playing quicker international bowlers (getting bowlers to bowl off 17 yards, wet tennis balls etc). I remember an interview with Robin Smith a few years back and he spoke about how he was getting some serious practice against the short ball before a test against WI while Hick was "polishing his cover drives" right next to him. His words to Hick were..."you're wasting your time, son"

I really don't think you want to get into which players our selectors favor after the Emerging Players squad selection' date=' buddy. Anyway, just toiling on the domestic circuit doesn't make someone India material. Badrinath is patently inadequate for international cricket.[/quote'] Well only if he was given as many chances are Roshit Sharma to succeed in ODIs our opinions of him being inadequate for intl cricket would have changed for ODIs and he would have received the call for TESTs sooner too. He has solid technique, just needs some good encouragement.
I remember an interview with Robin Smith a few years back and he spoke about how he was getting some serious practice against the short ball before a test against WI while Hick was "polishing his cover drives" right next to him. His words to Hick were..."you're wasting your time' date=' son"[/quote'] Haha...nice one from Smith.
Sad to see such a talented player who toils in domestic circuit to get shelved because he doesn't have the contacts that Kohli or even Roshit Sharma has in the team management/selectors. I hope he gets another go in TESTs soon, even if its just for 1 year.
Before taking shots at either Kohli and Rohit pls take a moment to compare the two... 1. Rohit Sharma - The guy won us the T20 Cup in 2007. Though T20 is hardly a barometer of success he did help India win a world tourney and that too with decent performances against the likes of SA and Pak in big matches on pitches that helped fast bowlers a lot. He showed that he belonged at the intl level and had a great temperament. He didn't perform consistently in odis and was dropped and when he was brought back in the WI series he was easily the best batsman on either side and won the MOS award. And he still wasn't selected for the Test squad. 2. Virat Kohli - He underlined his potential as the one to look out for by captaining India to U-19 world cup win. He always had the talent but ppl suspected that he may not be strong temperamentally. These suspicions were confirmed when he got his break in the odi team and was dropped. When he came back he was totally reformed and he had matured so much that it was tough to believe it was the same Kohli. He currently averages 43 in odis and has easily been our best odi batsman over the last year and a half and made significant contribution in the world cup. He got his break in WI Test series but didn't perform and has been dropped from the Test squad and he will need to score runs and grab his chances when he gets his turn in the Tests next time. 3. Badri - He scored big in domestic cricket but ppl suspected that he might be a flat track bully. He got a few chances to prove hs detractors wrong in a couple of Tests and in a few odis, especially ain the WI series where he played 4 matches against unthreatening bowling on flat tracks and still struggled against the likes of Russell and Sammy!!! Now you tell me where's the bias when Badri hasn't done jack whenever he was given a chance and is 32 years old already. Whom would you rather invest in? 20 something youngsters with plenty of talent who have already shown they belong at the intl level or a 32 year old has-been with a reputation of FTB who hasn't done anything of note when given a chance.

Will not rule him out yet. What happens if he has a great CLt20 for CSK? Going by the previous trends, will definitely be picked for Eng/WI ODIs and from then on who knows. Indian pitches, not so great ODI bowlers, clicks in 1-2 ODIs, does well in the Irani Trophy etc, and could surely comeback to the test side again.

Well only if he was given as many chances are Roshit Sharma to succeed in ODIs our opinions of him being inadequate for intl cricket would have changed for ODIs and he would have received the call for TESTs sooner too. He has solid technique' date=' just needs some good encouragement.[/quote'] I don't know what you have against Rohit Sharma: Granted he got too many chances when he was underperforming probably due to his Mumbai background or whatever, but Rohit has always been showing his class occasionally with those brilliant knocks in between. Moreover, he is an extremely(EXTREMELY) gifted player and a very rare find and does deserve opportunities to cement himself. A lot of Indian Cricket Fans will be happy to see someone like Rohit Sharma playing maturely and being permanent for plethora of reasons!!!! PEACE
I don't know what you have against Rohit Sharma: Granted he got too many chances when he was underperforming probably due to his Mumbai background or whatever, but Rohit has always been showing his class occasionally with those brilliant knocks in between. Moreover, he is an extremely(EXTREMELY) gifted player and a very rare find and does deserve opportunities to cement himself. A lot of Indian Cricket Fans will be happy to see someone like Rohit Sharma playing maturely and being permanent for plethora of reasons!!!! PEACE
yaar i see odd argument here... you say Rohit is EXTREMELY gifted player, yet you say he needs to be given tons of opportunities. If he was that gifted then he should have proven himself in less than 15 matches and shouldn't have needed 35+ games to be a good selection in ODIs. Problem with Kohli and Rohit was i think they got carried away with all the fame all of a sudden. I do think he is a good player though, and will be in the team in future. Kohli too is a really gifted player and has improved himself tremendously lately. These youngsters should definitely be given opportunities to succeed but so should someone like Badri. Not giving him chance because of his age kind of sends others in domestic circuit a wrong message. Remember that Mike Hussey came into the AUS team only at 30-31 yrs old and look at what he has achieved. I feel issue with our domestic system is we don't have that many bouncy tracks to help filter out the flat track bullies and overall good batsman. NCA boosts of all these but dont see that helping these players at all. Anyways whoever gets selected, i just hope they win games for India. :two_thumbs_up:
How many games would you recommend and who would you drop from the 1st 11 to play Badrinath?
I'm not suggesting we drop someone who's already firm in the playing eleven, but if there ever comes an opportunity like the one in the current series, he should definitely be given a nod ahead of most others. As far as number of games are concerned, I don't know how many, but 2 games and dropped doesn't really help anyone's confidence.
Well only if he was given as many chances are Roshit Sharma to succeed in ODIs our opinions of him being inadequate for intl cricket would have changed for ODIs and he would have received the call for TESTs sooner too. He has solid technique' date=' just needs some good encouragement.[/quote']

He probably deserves more chances given how good his domestic record is but he has such strong competition it is not possible to give him more chances. I always felt he struggled against top quality pacers. I realised he would probably never make it when he struggled badly against a relative novice in Varun Aaron in an IPL game. I know it was only an IPL game but Badrinath really struggled to put bat to ball in that game and was beaten by pace on numerous occasions. Aaron may well go on to be a top class bowler but i was shocked by how clueless Badri looked.

Badri to me lacked technique and was probably overwhelmed by the occasion. Now @32 if he is supposed to rectify technique and then comeback for me it means ignoring someone who probably has technique. I am hoping within one or two years BCCi will find some more kids @ Kohli class or better. And for next 3 years there are allready other options with BCCI and Blue India. So for me allthough harsh but :bye: Badri