What is Dhoni's contribution to the team?

nballa

I agree we cannot give individual percentages in a team game...my bad. I also agree that Dhoni has the requisite skills to be a great captain and he has been a great one already. He has been an excellent captain and you can hold him as one of the more significant influencing factors when it comes to ODI and T20 cricket. However, Dhoni's significance in India's Test rise is nowhere near the significance of ODI, T20. I think his greatness and significance in molding the ODI and T20 teams is being misappropriated in Tests. In Tests the fact is immaterial of who the captain is (assuming he is decently experienced in test cricket), of this team they will be number 1.
AGree with your first bolded line . But Absolutely disagree with rest of the bolded part. Have already given the reasons in first 2-3 posts in this topic.
Nirvanam, fair enough. However, I'd also like to point out that the team is putting in much more "resilience" under him than we are used to. He is a natural leader and his teammates trust him. The entire balance works well. However, I can admit Dhoni is much too defensive in Tests, the last test being a prime example. I was discussing this with Gunner the other day. Why didn't we declare? He has become too cautious with his Tests captaincy, and it is worrying because what makes him great is his (former) ruthlessness. I'm more than willing to give him a lot of rope on this one though :wink:
It is his defensiveness in Tests that I am unable to really explain or fathom. I can understand if the senior pros including Viru are defensive because they have tasted serious failure. This boy has not tasted such failure so where are the fears coming from? I don't think the fears are coming from senior pros because more often than not they are teaching a dhoni a lesson in being aggressive in intent in the Test arena. it is worrying, his defensiveness in Tests. I mean if u dont risk things against a minnow like NZ, who will you risk it against?
It is his defensiveness in Tests that I am unable to really explain or fathom. I can understand if the senior pros including Viru are defensive because they have tasted serious failure. This boy has not tasted such failure so where are the fears coming from? I don't think the fears are coming from senior pros because more often than not they are teaching a dhoni a lesson in being aggressive in intent in the Test arena. it is worrying, his defensiveness in Tests. I mean if u dont risk things against a minnow like NZ, who will you risk it against?
Saying " a captain should be aggressive" is much easier than handling a bowling unit where bar one bowler rest everyone is not exactly at the top of his game , there is a completely docile pitch under a hot sun and you as a keeper know from within that you are in for long hours. The team's catching form (including his own keeping) hasn't exactly helped the matter either. He may be defensive at times (which is how the modern game is being played these days), but the fact is we have won nearly 70% of the tests we have played at home in recent times. Yes our batting has contributed majorly to most of these wins, but then because we have won so many of these tests, it means we have successfully taken 20 opposition wickets a number of times. Given the form of our bowlers, that is a very good achievement and should not be looked down upon. On pitches where there as been some help for his bowlers recently (Mumbai test vs SL, Eden test vs SA, 3rd test vs SL in SL, 2nd innings of both the tests vs Australia etc) he has shown that he can be proactive, aggressive and imaginative with his decisions (Bringing Ishant on, getting Sehwag, Raina etc to bwol some crucial overs and provide us the break through etc).