'Only Ponting can beat Tendulkar's record'

Andy

There is a reason why Laxman comes one after Sachin, and there is a reason - why Sachin and Dravid having scored tonnes of runs (coming before Laxman) - It is Laxman who finds himself batting with the tail. Still can not understand?
He bats with the tail more by just coming one lower down the order and which viola ofc makes him also bat better with them cause he just came one lower. Yes, I understand. :winky:
He bats with the tail more by just coming one lower down the order and which viola ofc makes him also bat better with them cause he just came one lower. Yes' date=' I understand. :winky:[/quote'] If you have a point - then say it, these winkies are not helping your reasoning capabilities.
If you have a point - then say it' date=' these winkies are not helping your reasoning capabilities.[/quote'] There are words before the winkie, hope you learnt to read words, not just look for pictures. :giggle: You are the genius who claimed Laxman gets to bat more with the tail cause of the position he comes in, which is ONE lower than SRT. Still don't get it? I somehow doubt it.
tripe is confusing what people post about his choking and what pressure situation is and the difference between the two tests.
Whatever the situation was, some people will have you believe Tendulkar never scored runs when the pressure was on or boundaries/definitions of pressure will be redefined

haha, true honestly, when i'm reading all the retarded comments about 'pressure' and what not it becomes even easier for me to appreciate how good tendulkar really is. its impossible to criticise a man with a near bomb-proof, cast iron record as his. he has the best technique of any batsman that ever lived bar bradman, pretty much anyone that has watched cricket, including those that saw bradman, those that played against him rate him as the best they have seen. the opinion is unanimous. the guy has been scoring stacks of runs all over the world for 20 years. so the only way you can criticise a guy with a record like this is to get specific as hell by drilling down the criticism to his performance in x inning, with x number of wickets down, against x bowler, when india were in x situation and when x had a butter chicken for lunch and y was suffering from a migraine. hilarious stuff.

There are words before the winkie, hope you learnt to read words, not just look for pictures. :giggle: You are the genius who claimed Laxman gets to bat more with the tail cause of the position he comes in, which is ONE lower than SRT. Still don't get it? I somehow doubt it.
You did not put across any point - just reworded my 'claim' and added a useless icon. And once again you proved that you have nothing useful to add there. I recommend doing a reading on probability basics, esp on outcomes of series of events ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conditional_probability). To support my deduction - a) Dravid comes 1 down, Sachin comes 2 down, Laxman comes 3 down. b) And all three of them have almost equal in terms of skill and handling pressure. c) After Laxman there is significant drop in skills/temperament. d) For simplicity, one can assume at every wicket there is 1/2 chance of either of the batsman to get out. With that - try to calculate what is the probability that Laxman will end up playing with tail as compared to Dravid or Sachin. It wont be difficult to arrive at the following - (unless one is handicapped at maths). Probability(Laxman ends up playing with tail )> P(Sachin ends up playing with tail) > P(Dravid ends up playing with tail). P.S. For the sake of simplicity I have ignored many factors - e.g. how many matches end up in a situation under question.

Also - in the world of probability - even if there is a difference of lets say 0.1, say across 200 or so innings - it would translate to 20 innings, and out of those 20 it is expected off a world class player to see through at least one third times. i.e. about 6-7 or so. And if someone has enough time to go through all the list that will be the number of extra "crunch situation" titles one would find against Laxman , as compared to Sachin who plays just ONE/TWO down the order as compared to Sachin/Dravid.

The same genius who claimed that calling decade of the 2000s the period from 2000-2009 (dec) was cherry picking a decade and playing with absurd stats, now wants to use probability and stats to determine who handles pressure better. :giggle:

There are words before the winkie, hope you learnt to read words, not just look for pictures. :giggle: You are the genius who claimed Laxman gets to bat more with the tail cause of the position he comes in, which is ONE lower than SRT. Still don't get it? I somehow doubt it.
Not to say that Sachin is better than Laxman when it comes to playing with tail, but first innings of following scorecard will give you an idea that your likelihood of playing with tail increases if you come down the order. http://www.espncricinfo.com/ausvind/engine/match/291352.html?innings=2;view=fow In this test both Laxman and Sachin played excellent knocks but it was Sachin who played with tail that time. Laxman came at one down.

Coming back to the best batsman of last decade: Let's look at the two periods: 1. 2000-2009 2. 2001-2010 The common years for the above two periods are from 2001 to 2009, which is 9 years. Let's see how the batsmen fared in the common years. LINK 2001-2009 (common years) Batsman - Avg (Ponting and top Indian batsmen) Ponting - 57 Sehwag, Dravid - 53 Laxman - 51 Tendulkar - 48 Special mention: Lara - 58

Coming back to the best batsman of last decade: Let's look at the two periods: 1. 2000-2009 2. 2001-2010 The common years for the above two periods are from 2001 to 2009, which is 9 years. Let's see how the batsmen fared in the common years. LINK 2001-2009 (common years) Batsman - Avg (Ponting and top Indian batsmen) Ponting - 57 Sehwag, Dravid - 53 Laxman - 51 Tendulkar - 48 Special mention: Lara - 58
Why don't you do this analysis for year 2003 to 2006. You'll feel even better. These were the years where Ponting was scoring almost at the average of 100 runs and Sachin was going through worst phase of life, crippled with multitude of injuries. Using these numbers you can show sachin to be even more inferior to Ponting.
The same genius who claimed that calling decade of the 2000s the period from 2000-2009 (dec) was cherry picking a decade and playing with absurd stats' date=' now wants to use probability and stats to determine who handles pressure better. :giggle:[/quote'] Its not surprising that maths talk went over your top. But, now you have given proof of your deficiency in English comprehension skills also. Nowhere I claimed that XYZ is significantly better than other in handling pressure. I am just countering the claim that -and meaningless polls around that - merely having played 4-5 extra match finishing innings with the tail - is not enough data to say who is better (significantly) handling the pressure. For the facts that - pressure is a very broad term, and these extra 4-5 innings are more likely due to higher probability of playing with tail than any other reasons. And as for the decade thing - again that was to settle the argument when two parties were arguing over which is a decade 2001-2010, or 2000-2009.. So unless you have anything useful to add - just get hold of some English comprehension book and yes probability also. Show me more of your skills - I can very well be able to suggest you specific remedy/doctor, depending on your biological and psychological ages.
^ Hasn't Tendulkar played a lot more cricket than Laxman though? So' date=' even if the probability of Laxman batting with the tail is greater than Tendulkar, the absolute number of chances they got might not be different.[/quote'] Possible - but that requires extensive analysis, as he has played at various situations through out his career at various stages. Besides, many other factors need to be considered e.g. a) Many times may be Laxman did not even get chance to play. As top order already took care of the pressure. So someone with lot of time at hand can do this analysis - just to prove who is better at handling pressure, when I have already said - in terms of temperament/skills/handling-pressure - Dravid,Sachin,Laxman are all about the same skills. Actual number and distribution of instances depends on batting order. All I am saying is this pressure-talk/poll is utter non-sense. And similarly picking a random time period and claiming that xyz is inferior to other.