Saurabh Tiwary

SachDan

Heres some logical deduction of the entire situation thus far ... 1. This dude is no where near to being selected even in the second XI for test matches. Reasons are not hard to figure out. 2. But he already commands a astronomical amount of money in the tontee-tontee krap. 3. If I were him I would put most of my energies in keeping myself fit and in fine fiddle for those 2 months or however long this bakwas goes on for so that I make the most out of this and live upto the billing and hopefully get a hike next time. Instead of burning my ***** off trying to qualify for the Test team which I have already realized is damn hard work with little monetary reward. 4. Other yengsters watching this nautanki get the message from all that is unfolding ( I mean upwards of USD 1 mil for Irfan Pathan FFS. God knows when was the last he held a bat in his hand ) and deduce that a bit of cowlashing skills a bit of luck will land them in serious money. Once this goes thru one or two iterations one day you will find no takers for Test Kirkut and it will die a horrible death. But then you knew that already didnt you ?
Ok, so you say this guy has no chance to make it a test team. Then what is the problem whether he gets paid 1.4 mil or 10k? You can call IPL cowlashing or whatever, it requires a different skill set to succeed here. It is a different form of the game. If Test Cricket is so fragile that it can't stand the test of times and struggle against a "cowlasher" format, then may be it is time for it to go. After all everything in this world needs to find it's way to survive. Ever wondered why such a tourney (pro league) cannot be held with test cricket? That is the reason why it will die, not because of Tontee-tontee. Pro leagues are the name of the game in all sport, inter-country matches/tourneys/world cups will always go on, in between the real money in all sports is made in pro leagues. Cricket has finally woken up to it. Unfortunately, the only viable format for this is 20-20. In cricket however, test cricket still has a chance, cause it can and will be premier format of inter country matches. However, the pro league concept is here to stay, they both just have to find a way to survive together.

^ I completely agree with your generic point. Was just trying to say that there is no way in hell that this guy can make a test cricketer. But, despite all this it is in a way heartening to see the likes of Pujara, Kohli, and Rahane coming through who value a proper technique and are very hard workers to achieve the test match goal. Or maybe I am just clutching straws.

^ Rahane is pretty awesome. I've watched him bat on a few occasions when I was in India last year and the year before that. He has the classic Bambaiya technique of playing the ball late. Reminds me a lot of Vengsarkar, but looks better than Vengsarkar against pace bowling where he really goes back in his crease to cut and pull. Not sure why you don't rate Kohli. Sure he has a failing outside the off stump, but what I love about the guy is his willingness to put in the hard yards and really work hard on his game. The manner in which he played Mendis after our test line up had been pawned was really impressive and he has improved since then.

Mark my words! Raina will become a top class test player in the future. I am very confident of that. :two_thumbs_up:

I have never seen Rahane bat so cant say. Unless the general situation gets dire in the test team I dont see Kohli playing more than 10-15 test matches (if that ). In any case I dont see him avging more than 40 in test cricket. Raina was the big let down. Pujara may end up with the longest Test career of the lot and might nudge upto 45-50 avg bracket unless he gets ruined by tontee-tontee.

Wasnt Rohit hyped to glory because of his ability to play late ? :D It is one of the most pointless traits in my opinion ( Started by Imran after he saw Inzi bat IIRC ) especially against high quality express bowling. The two most basic ingredients that make a good test match player is the footwork and temperment. Playing late or early or just at the right time is just a perception. If you are late playing the ball you will either get bowled or lbw if you are early you will spoon a catch somewhere in the infield. If you hit it at the right moment you are good. IMO they should look at how well the guy middles the ball on various pitches against a variety of bowling. You cant find that out till the guy has traveled outside and played at a higher level. This is why it is quite hazardous to judge players based on their Indian domestic showing. Ofcourse there is no other option because we have to start somewhere but what Iam saying is that you will never know what they are really capable of unless you see them in a Test Match.
I can of course understand your apprehensions regarding Rahane, but trust me this guy can bat. And having known each other online for 6 or so years, you would be hard pressed to count the instances where I've said 'this guy can bat'. I am usually a very hard critic on newcomers and have been proven wrong on the other side of the spectrum - where I said this guy is crap and he turns out to be quality, rather than this guys is good and he turns out to be crap. Regarding the the second part of your post, as I said earlier if you are looking for a Tendulkar in Rahane then forget it. But if you are looking for a Dravid and Laxman then this guy can certainly get there. I don't know if footage is available on youtube, but I've see him pulling and cutting off a length against decent fast bowlers. He is going to be our next Vengsarkar*1.5. He is awesome. EDIT : Not talking averages here before stats gurus jump on me.
Wait till you see him play in Aussie / SAF /Eng pitches and you will get your answer. IMO he lacks temperment to be a good test match player.
Forget about Tendulkar, how many Indian batsmen have conquered the kind of conditions you are describing? It takes time for people to mature and find their depth and I firmly believe Pujara, Rahane, Kohli with Rohit as the back up is more than an adequate middle order.

Heres some logical deduction of the entire situation thus far ... 1. This dude is no where near to being selected even in the second XI for test matches. Reasons are not hard to figure out. 2. But he already commands a astronomical amount of money in the tontee-tontee krap. 3. If I were him I would put most of my energies in keeping myself fit and in fine fiddle for those 2 months or however long this bakwas goes on for so that I make the most out of this and live upto the billing and hopefully get a hike next time. Instead of burning my ***** off trying to qualify for the Test team which I have already realized is damn hard work with little monetary reward. 4. Other yengsters watching this nautanki get the message from all that is unfolding ( I mean upwards of USD 1 mil for Irfan Pathan FFS. God knows when was the last he held a bat in his hand ) and deduce that a bit of cowlashing skills a bit of luck will land them in serious money. Once this goes thru one or two iterations one day you will find no takers for Test Kirkut and it will die a horrible death. But then you knew that already didnt you ?
hard to go against this logic.There is already a precedent for this in Irfan,who conveniently is fit to play in the IPL but cant be bothered to perform in domestic cricket to get picked for the national side in any format.