How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway?

Dhondy

If you look at the grand scheme of things, life...love....job, not really that important. Heck, I don't even follow cricket anymore! Yet, when I woke up on the morning of 15th May and found the forum gone, the reaction was one of profound disappointment. Why, how, who...all sorts of questions jostled for space in my mind. The truth, of course, is that this little space in a corner of the net is very much a part of our lives. Whether you are an active poster or just a shy browser, you will click on to these pages several times a day. It offers a community that we are all part of. When you look at the names of the posters online, you instantly become part of a club that's present there, in that time and space. Like you, they are looking for little pieces of writing that provide entertainment, provoke thought, make them think, make them sad, happy or simply indifferent. Oh Jesus, do I have to talk so much! :sick: But you know, my mind harked back to October 23, 2006, when Ravi first started the fledgling forum, on this very Drupal theme. I just remembered the unbounded joy that I had felt then at my own small piece of canvas, my own notebook in a nook of the web. Eight days later, Ravi switched to the Php-nuke. It loaded faster, and had less graphics. I protested at the loss of my favourite "Fancy" theme, Varun waved a finger, warning of possible hacker attacks, but we carried on regardless. The forum grew, attracting posters like a small snowflake burgeoning in size on its downhill journey, and we mushroomed into a 850-member site in six months. I felt the tendrils of pride, but more than that, it was so good to see people value our enthusiasm, and acknowledge that we meant well. This was not empire-building, or one-up-manship. We just wanted a community where we could exist in harmony and exchange exciting, stimulating ideas. And then came the hacker attack. It threatens to destroy all the hard work Ravi and the others have lovingly put in, building this forum brick by brick. There will be posters, mainly browsers, who may never return. There's the realization that we may have to start all over again. Never mind. Ravi worked for 48 hours nonstop to put this place back on the rails. Let's show him we appreciate it by posting when we can. Yes, a forum will never become more important than life, or love, or work, but if it ever helped lift the boredom off you in a dreary interlude of your life, it does ask that in some spare moments of yours, you repay that by sharing some of the joy, sadness, hope, or anger in your soul with this community. Be assured, that somewhere, in some part of the world, it will find an echo with somebody else. Only thus can the forum survive.

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? Fantastic post Dhondy. I agree wholeheartedly. If my interest was limited to cricket alone, Cricinfo would suffice. But I'm more interested in what the fans think, especially Indian Cricket Fans. This forum is so much more than cricket. It's about the characters and the people. They are the essence. I think the hack attack has sent my enthusiasm levels soaring and I've shaken myself of the listlessness that had engulfed me of late. Here's to a new chapter! :)

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? Doesnt matter which software/platform you are on.....You are still prone to attacks. All you need is a good backup policy both in terms of data and resources .... Its a slap on lazy a$$es like bheembhai who left the burden solely on ravi.

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? Cricket is something I love to talk about for sure but there is certainly something beyond cricket that binds people on these forums. There is a lot more that I look forward to than just reading about cricket. These forums can educate people on various counts. I for one have to acknowledge this has become a part of my life, no more just a pass time. I have come to know about a lot of things that I never could have grasped by reading 100s of books. The variety here offers an excellent place to educate oneself and grow wiser.

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? It makes you wonder why the hacker community exists in the very first place doesn't it? What's its point really? Just defacing website is that? I know attacks happen but makes you wonder what purpose does it server anyways. If they hack say a bank's website you can figure a motive but why a cricket website like this?

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? The webhost will take care of that for sure. Right now they have few monitoring tools already looking for any potential attacks which is quite reassuring.

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? They did post something. They turned the website into a EBay fraud website :O We were contacted by the Host right away and guess what the hacker was looking to completely deface the website but by then the host downed the website/server completely. Disappointing is an understatement really, I still cannot fathom why would they want this website turned into a EBay fraud website :?

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? Fantastic post. Ravi works like the Aussies. You can temporarily peg him back, but never quite manage to defeat the guy. Yet again, he has pulled a James Bondie saving us all from the hacker_Ds of this world. For me, cricket has taken a side step, thanks to our incompetent cricket team. I no longer come here to just follow the sport. India may stop playing the sport tomorrow, but i will continue to come here to keep in touch with my buddies -- people i have hardly seen or met, people i have known only for a couple of years, yet people i can hardly live without. The fact that we were wiped out from the face of the earth and yet bounced back within a couple of days without losing either the community or the site is testimony to the fact that WE ARE HERE TO STAY. Long live this community, longer Ravi! Heck if he doesnt outlive this community, we wont have a community!

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? Wow.. those are some very nice comments folks but not sure if deserving (not being modest here at all). In the first place if we got hacked that was for the simple reason we were not secured :sick: I know it sucks to accept but it is true I failed to secure the website (in the first place Ii didn't reckon anyone was going to hack this at all). But for the lapse in security this website could not have been hacked and I didn't have to spend couple of sleepless nights to put this together again. I do deserve accolade for bringing the site back again but a kick on the backside for not securing. I say spare me both, the accolades and the kick. It's a bit embarrassing when I haven't done the job but still get lauded. I'm feeling like Sachin Tendulkar right now what with so many guys mentioning thousands of runs he's scored but he clearly knows his form in the recent few series' sucks :D I'm not like Aussies either Bumper, they hardly lose any battle. I'm more like India, get thrashed and then start fixing the holes all over again :P

Re: How Important Is A Cricket Forum, Anyway? As i said in an earlier thread and as you all should say with me: Buddham Sharanam Gacchami Ravi nam Sharanam Gacchami Dhammam Sharanam Gacchami Sangham Sharanam Gacchami ;) PS: Ravi- apply to coach India team. Fack the rest, you got the 'drive' factor covered.