What should I do over the summer?

Sooda

This is potentially my last free summer ever --Im going to buy Football Manager 2007 (really I should stop here) --Ive got a few books I want to read ---And lots of DVDs to catch up on...( 24 seasons 5 and 6; Prison break 1&2, Lost 2&3, Battlestar Galactica etc) --Most imp though Im thinking of Holidaying in Europe a) For Cheap, and B) With the intention of seeing a few major cities Any recommendations on where/when to go and how to get there...?? Bearing in mind that I'm UK based Anything else you can thinketh of in your respective wild imaginations ? Really I want to know more about the EU holidays.

Re: What should I do over the summer? Good to see you are planning it, I have never literally planned my holidays before If I wee you, I would pick the European holiday, preferably with the cheapest transportation to prolong it. Camera and a diary to capture each and every moment Bring a shot glass from every place as a souvenir

Re: What should I do over the summer? Hah. Sorry to dissapoint you GKD, Im young and fit (so people tell me anyway) but no chokri- at least not as far as I know :p Rajeev, need to plan it,like i say is probably my last free summer, want to make the most of it...:) Cmon...more suggestions folks, esp on the holiday aspect I need ideas. Might got Canada in Aug for a friends wedding. Depending on the fiancial situ

Re: Sooda, how far do you wanna go? Driving or trekking? Within the UK, if you wanna drive, take off for the West Coast of Scotland. Etherally beautiful place, and fantastic trekking opportunities, starting South from the Kyle of Lochalsh to the far North such as Caithness, with some incredible places such as Lochinver and Ullapool in between. Wanna go abroad? Go to Switzerland. Make Interlaken your base, and take off for the hills of Murren and Wengen, where, sitting in a cafe by the mountains, you will feel that you are sitting close enough to some of the peaks to reach out and touch them. Go down by cable car to the impossibly florid valley, or take the long way down trekking. You can't lose.

Re: What should I do over the summer? Sooda, bearing in mind that I am not very familiar with the UK education system I am assuming you are finishing graduation and going into a job when you mean you its your last free summer. Think of what a job is like and talk to people who are in a job and what they miss most about having the summers off and then try and relate it to yourself. Pick up things from others and try to mingle them with your interests to come up with the ideal summer vacation. One thing which is drastically different in a job from school is a long time off, the ability to spend a long time somewhere without having to think about getting back every now and then. Even in academia, the transition from a graduate student to a postdoc is remarkable though still more flexible than a conventional job. Ultimately, you have to make the decision but my suggestion would be to go for something you feel very passionate towards AND which requires a lot of free time to enjoy. The shorter trips to Europe are not going anywhere later in life. Instead of hopping on and off a train for a month with fun and frolic you might have to break it down into once a month weekend trips and you might not be able to get the feel of liberation many associate with graduation. There are things which become impossible to do in a job. This is the second consecutive year I am having to shelve my plan to summit McKinley because it takes a minimum of 5-6 weeks for a reasonable trip. Find something like this which you think you will regret not doing earlier in your life because of all the white noise that is going to engulf you and do it.

Cheers for some top suggestions there fellas...(expect for Padhai kar ...im going to be getting withdrawal symptoms from padhai) Wise words Shwet man, it really should be something that takes a long time as this is when it can be done. I'm not sure there is anything like that I feel passionate about. You're right- short trips to Europe are always an option later- especially if I'm married when I will have someone to go WITH...:) Dhondy- west coats of Scotland eh. Sounds good. Its an option. I've got rellies in Glasgow, can use that as base. Have heard good things about Wales too. Will mull over it. Turns out I might be going Spain on the 13th June... But yes, finished my last exam today. That is the end of full time education really. Hopefully will find work soon...thats one thing I need to do- job apps. The future is kinda daunting.

go to the tuscan countryside for a week.... i love it.... wine, and amazing food everyday and jus walking around in beautiful vineyards, meadows and hills... it is pretty cheap too.... if u want some thrills, hit the autostrada... ;)

Find yourself a gym and lift some heavy weights
Yep. That is something I need to get round to. I have never done any weights in my life. I tend to start its lasts for like a week and then I stop. I used to do a fair amount of running and stuff. But no weights. Need to start both and tone my body like. Erm. Thanks for the suggestion Gai, will bear in mind.:tounge_smile: