Sri Lanka recalls players from IPL

Sir john

Sri Lanka's sports authorities on Tuesday ordered its cricketers playing in the ongoing Indian Premier League to return home for training ahead of next month's tour of England. Sports Minister Mahinadananda Althugamage said he wanted team members to prioritise the national side over the IPL, which is financially lucrative for players. "In future, national cricket players can participate in foreign tournaments only in a manner that will not affect practices of the Sri Lankan national team," the ministry said in a statement. It said those who are selected for the three-Test series in England will have to return home for practices despite their commitments in the ongoing IPL Twenty20 tournament. Former skipper Kumar Sangakkara and his deputy Mahela Jayawardene are among 11 Sri Lankan national players in the IPL and at least five of them are tipped to be included in the squad for England. The statement did not say how the players will be penalised if they did not attend practices as required under a new sports ministry decree, but official sources said they were likely to be dropped if they did not comply. Sri Lanka cricket has seen a spate of resignations following the side's defeat in the World Cup final against India earlier this month. source

But the incident is worth epic LOL. What crime was done by SL cricketers of being denied IPL bucks?. Obviously SL govt seems to be pretty sore about the side loosing to us in WC finals.
I think it will get sorted out. Maybe they will get to stay a week longer and return on May 12. The team leaves only on May 18th and first test is on 28th

Fair enough. But it is moronic to make such public statements. Instead they could have informed the players in private about the same. It is like a warning and a Paki style of cricket administration. This public warning kind of attitude in press conference to the media can only harm the SL cricket rather than doing them any good. Whoever is the sports minister is interested in going the Paki style of sports administration and I wont be surprised if SL soon start getting rebellious players with such an attitude. I dont like Whingakarra but to be fair they have reached two consecutive WC finals and that is not a mean feat. They are not performing that bad to be ridiculed in public. BTW there are two SL captains in IPL and I wonder who would replace them during the second stage of the tournament.

SL players lose nothing' date= as you need to be availalbe for some games to get your full match fees. Malinga anyways does not play much test cricket, so he will be there for entire IPL.
I doubt that . Payment is subject to availability for the whole season , think its done on Prorate basis

^ And one T20 final too. I agree. This matter should have been informed to the players in private and matter sorted out within the closed doors. The statement making is the hallmark of a politician and the reason why government officials shouldnt be involved in cricket administration.