I smell a Rat...

Ram

Shastri rules out extending term as cricket manager http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/bdeshvind/content/current/story/296054.html "But I was very clear right from the outset that I would do this job because it was a tough time for India. I was free, but I had made my stand clear with the establishment that I was under a contract with ESPN-Star who are my employers. I am a professional, I believe in work ethics, I believe in contracts."... A laudable case of employee loyalty ? hmm... If his intention were to "help" India in tough times , what makes him think those "tough times" are over for the team? His "conscience" told him to take up the job after the world cup , just to let go after the bangla series ? Even Shastri would know that we would have won without him in that series. The real test begins NOW and he is leaving , citing professionel commitments. Either he didnt want to take th e risk of becoming India coach or liked Broadcasting and media more. If shastri had really wanted to become India coach and BCCI intended on hiring him , it wouldnt take more than a couple of phone calls for him to be released from the contract. Imagine how ESPN-STAR would look if everyone wanted Shastri to be coach and they say " No No , doesnt matter how the the team is playing. He cant be coach. He has to commentate for WI-Eng series.." Its pretty clear now , Shastri didnt even ask them to release him from the contract and decided to make them the fall-guy. Very astute indeed. I suspect he just used this to increase his profile in Indian cricket. ESPN-STAR -- be prepared to re-negotiate the contract for a higher pay.After all, Which media organization wouldnt want a guy who has held the top-job in the indian team and can pull quite a lot strings in terms of player contacts, insider information etc...

come on do you really want shastri as full time coach ?? with so much pressure of players i think he did a fair job. Now one can always argue why he took the job that too against BD but i didnt see Sunny or kapil even Vengy raise there hand.

Ravi Shastri thinks he was the messiah for India in that series :haha: That says how much regard he has for the team :teeth_smile: I think he's got nothing to lose. Now he can state he coached a team and the team white washed the opponent. By not carrying on when India is visiting England and Australia he is keeping his record intact just like his captaincy record. One game he captained and he won that one. A true winner as a captain and a coach :tounge_smile: