So the Sri Lankan U-Turn

Zap_Brannigan

Remember, the IPL needs these boards and it's players too. This league will be total garbage if it was just the Indians playing in it. Guys like ABDV, Malinga, Kallis and Hussey are the ones who make it good. So the IPL needs them as much.
We do have a bit of a clout over the boards and influence the players as well. So I would say it is 60-40 in favour, the remote.

The SL president wasn't treated well and thats a fact. The Pak PM was treated much better' date=' was invited personally and was allowed to meet the players before the match. Why? - All with poltical motives. If pak can be allowed such, SL president def. deserved equal treatment. It just strengthens the arguement that Ind-Pak SF was politically infiuenced in every way[/quote'] Yes. And the more we talk about the Pakistan match, the more importance we give.

The SL president wasn't treated well and thats a fact. The Pak PM was treated much better' date=' was invited personally and was allowed to meet the players before the match. Why? - All with poltical motives. If pak can be allowed such, SL president def. deserved equal treatment. It just strengthens the arguement that Ind-Pak SF was politically infiuenced in every way[/quote'] Of course, the match was used for political purposes by the governments of both countries as a launching pad for talks. Why would India winning or losing the game have any effect on how that process goes forward ? Only a sore loser would think otherwise who cant accept their team was defeated fair and square. Also because of the nature of the meeting, the two guests were treated differently but I dont think SL president wasnt treated well. That's just what you think.

Guest Gunner
Absolutely. An Indian league having non-Indian' date=' closet India-haters as captains (okay, not everyone is that way but most are).[/quote'] And it's because of fools like you that people hate us.

I do not see any big issue with SL players leaving IPL for national duties. Country is more important than IPL and there is no doubt about it. But the main question is that did SL board tell IPL and BCCI before the IPL auctions that SL players will be surely available till May 22. If they committed as such than this is very unprofessional and should be rethought. If they did not commit then I do not see any issue as they should give more importance to their national duties rather than IPL or any other league. If Indian players give more importance to say Big Bash or some other league if reqd. 10 times bigger than IPL too then I would surely not like it.

The Outsider, I don't understand your stance here. It is not a test vs T20 thing at all. Its about contractual obligation. IPL has all right to moan about the recent u turn of the Sri Lankan board/ government. All the players participating in the IPL need a NOC from their respective boards. Including the Indian players. Furthermore, a representative of each of the boards is present during the auctions when the contracts are signed. All objections to a players duration, pay, security etc in a tournament have to be clarified then and there. It is the work of the representative to see if any provisions of the IPL contract go against or hinder the said player from fulfilling the functions laid out in the yearly contract that he has signed with his national board. As ad hoc as the IPL changes have been, they have been very clear about the contracts. The main point here is that a representative of the SL cricket board presided over the signing of these contracts. This implies that SL board were ok with the ad-hoc decisions taken by the IPL. They didn't see any reason to complain then. The schedule of the England tour was known much in advance and didn't evoke any kind of reaction from the representative. SL board can't whine after committing to a contract. Cricket Australia objected to their players being a part of IPL when Aus toured BD. So they didn't sign the contract. The dates in the contract for the Aus players were altered (they are paid pro-rata I think, but not too sure). After the fiasco with the WI players in the first IPL, the clarity now has helped the IPL. If they renege on this one, the SL board will have to face lengthy lawsuits and possible bans because what they are doing is wrong under ICC statutes. Its nothing but breach of a contract. No two way to look at this. Why do they bring it up now, after the IPL has started? Why not during the WC or a few months in advance? All these questions will be raised. Bottom line is that no one forced SL board to accept the contract. I just feel bad for the SL players. If they leave the IPL, its they who will be breaking the contract and be liable for punishment. If they don't the SL board might punish them. Caught between a hard place and a rock. I hope better sense prevails and SL board does a u turn on this u turn.

So the SL board is throwing a hissy fit and want to go home with their bat and ball - the same way I have seen some of the 10 year olds behave :haha: Man the WC win is tasting sweeter and sweeter as time goes on :winky: First pakis twist their panties regarding "match fixing", "fixed LBW" etc. and now it's Lanka's turn to do the same :haha: And I always thought of Aussies as sore losers!!! Guess Aussies are much better than Poms, Pakis and Lankans

Guest Gunner
Did I ask you for your opinion? And well you are the biggest jerk-off there is on this forum. Everyone knows that.
No I get the real thing. You are the jerk off ... oh no wait..weren't you the hypocrite who thinks jerking off is haram? Saala *******.

So the SL board is throwing a hissy fit and want to go home with their bat and ball - the same way I have seen some of the 10 year olds behave :haha: Man the WC win is tasting sweeter and sweeter as time goes on :winky: First pakis twist their panties regarding "match fixing", "fixed LBW" etc. and now it's Lanka's turn to do the same :haha: And I always thought of Aussies as sore losers!!! Guess Aussies are much better than Poms, Pakis and Lankans
Same thinking here. World Champion India = Neighbors envy. :dance:

The Outsider, I don't understand your stance here. It is not a test vs T20 thing at all. Its about contractual obligation.
Arre, contractual obligations ki is league mein value kya hai? Rules and regulations are bent and changed in the IPL on people's whims and fancies. What the Sri Lankan board did was a similar ad hoc change. I am not saying what they did is right, but there are so many wrongs to be corrected before you can get to it.

The SL president wasn't treated well and thats a fact. The Pak PM was treated much better' date=' was invited personally and was allowed to meet the players before the match. Why? - All with poltical motives. If pak can be allowed such, SL president def. deserved equal treatment. It just strengthens the arguement that Ind-Pak SF was politically infiuenced in every way[/quote'] There is a difference between an "invited guest" (as the Pak PM and the delegation was) and a guest who thrusts himself on the host and asks for the best treatment (like the Lankan contingent). For the Pak delegations visit , a proper protocol was follwed and 3-4 days of advance notice was given. The Lankan president decided to come to Mumbai with his jumbo delegation a day before the final match. And you expect things to be perfect in a day? Sorry the blame lies with the Lankan delegation a) Should have said he is coming for the final the day Lanka made it to the final and not 2 days later b) Why do Lankan ministers have to take their family members with an official delegation (as this trip was supposed to be), especially when the family did not have confirmed tickets.

IPL Exposed!! For all those of us who thought that IPL was conceived to mint money, crush ICL, a ploy to disgrace ganguly,a scheme to make pakis jealous and thus get into match fixing, a conspiracy to get Bhajji and Symmonds to play in the same team are all wrong. Ranatunga, has finally deciphered the real reason of the IPL. "Meanwhile Ranatunga also raised suspicion on the IPL saying it invited foreign players to play with the Indians and finally the Indians are able to identify the weak areas of those foreign players when it comes to games between India and another foreign national side." There you have it folks. Our scheming plot to take over the cricket world by finding out the weakness of opposition players in T20 format has finally been uncovered. By using IPL, we have taken over the #1 ranking in test and are the world champions in ODI. But alas, it won't last for much longer. Rana "Megamind" tunga, will stop us!!

IPL Exposed!! For all those of us who thought that IPL was conceived to mint money, crush ICL, a ploy to disgrace ganguly,a scheme to make pakis jealous and thus get into match fixing, a conspiracy to get Bhajji and Symmonds to play in the same team are all wrong. Ranatunga, has finally deciphered the real reason of the IPL. "Meanwhile Ranatunga also raised suspicion on the IPL saying it invited foreign players to play with the Indians and finally the Indians are able to identify the weak areas of those foreign players when it comes to games between India and another foreign national side." There you have it folks. Our scheming plot to take over the cricket world by finding out the weakness of opposition players in T20 format has finally been uncovered. By using IPL, we have taken over the #1 ranking in test and are the world champions in ODI. But alas, it won't last for much longer. Rana "Megamind" tunga, will stop us!!
Well after the WC finals Dhoni did say that he had deciphered Murali and knew how to play him having been together (I guess he meant CSK). I am guessing Ranatunga's frustration is kind of based on comments like that. Now question for Ranatunga is why he doesn't think it helps the foreign players as well since they get to learn some of the inside info about the Indian players they get to play with.

"Meanwhile Ranatunga also raised suspicion on the IPL saying it invited foreign players to play with the Indians and finally the Indians are able to identify the weak areas of those foreign players when it comes to games between India and another foreign national side."
It goes both ways doesnt it ? Foreign players should get used to playing in Indian conditions and know the weaknesses of Indian players but they still couldnt win. :giggle:

Well Gayle learned our young batters weaknesses against the short ball by playing with and against them. He had said that he used to take mental notes of Indian batsmen struggling in the nets against short bowling from bowlers who were not that quick either. The t20 WC in England was held right after the IPL and Gayle used this weakness and that is when the other teams started bowling short to our batsmen in t20. West Indies did beat us in that WC and so did England...so Mr. Ranatunga...this experience goes both ways!

There is a difference between an "invited guest" (as the Pak PM and the delegation was) and a guest who thrusts himself on the host and asks for the best treatment (like the Lankan contingent). For the Pak delegations visit , a proper protocol was follwed and 3-4 days of advance notice was given. The Lankan president decided to come to Mumbai with his jumbo delegation a day before the final match. And you expect things to be perfect in a day? Sorry the blame lies with the Lankan delegation a) Should have said he is coming for the final the day Lanka made it to the final and not 2 days later b) Why do Lankan ministers have to take their family members with an official delegation (as this trip was supposed to be), especially when the family did not have confirmed tickets.
Yup. There is a huge difference in the protocol involved in a State Visit as opposed to all other kinds. A State Visit is always by invitation only, among other things.